KISS to play Grand Falls-Windsor

Tara
Tara Bradbury

Gene Simmons, Paul Stanley and Tommy Thayer of the band KISS are seen perfoming at Cisco Ottawa Bluesfest on July 15, 2009. — Canadian Press file photo

A source close to KISS has confirmed the rock band will perform in Grand Falls-Windsor this summer.

KISS is expected to perform July 9.

When contacted by The Telegram, officials with the Town of Grand Falls-Windsor would neither confirm nor deny the legendary rockers will be performing. However, rumours to that effect have been circulating around the town for a couple of weeks

It is expected the town will make the announcement at the Herder game Saturday night.

It’s also rumoured that lead singer Gene Simmons, his partner Whitbourne native Shannon Tweed, and their two children will be filming episodes of their reality show “Gene Simmons’ Family Jewels” while in the province. Tweed has previously said she hasn’t been back to Newfoundland in more than 20 years, and the children, Nick and Sophie, have never been to the province.

The family is currently in Israel, filming for the show in Simmons’ hometown.

KISS has sold more than 100 million albums worldwide, and saw the height of their fame in the late 1970s, with songs like “Rock and Roll All Nite” and “Beth.” Simmons and guitarist Paul Stanley are the only original KISS members remaining in the band, which also features drummer Eric Singer and guitarist Tommy Thayer.

Simmons continues to make a career from business deals using the band’s logo on everything from toothbrushes to snowboards, and is a frequent guest speaker at marketing and branding conferences.

Organizations: Town of Grand Falls-Windsor

Geographic location: Grand Falls-Windsor, Newfoundland, Israel

Comments

Comments

• Mabel
    May 13, 2011 - 13:55

My son who is now 34 started his Kizz collection at the age of 5 and has accumulated most of Kizz items. Now my grandson who is 14 is coming to Newfoundland from Calgary just to see his and his uncle's idol. Hoping the performance justifies his visit and I'm hoping he will be able to get a chance to meet with some member/s of the band.

• Buddy
    May 04, 2011 - 16:27

is this 18+?

• bud
    April 04, 2011 - 19:44

please, please - Kiss are not my fave band, never were - thats not the point here - also, how many bands that are on the go 30+ years have all the same members, and if that is your criteria to go see a band then you won't be going to many concerts - people, do your patriotic duty and thank GF-W and Kiss in person on July 9 - I predict there will be a sellout and/or 20K people there - and if you're not going to the show go post your negativity elsewhere - and, really, my opinion of Gene Simmons, based on his public persona, doesn't count for much - so go and enjoy - or stay home (maybe you can do a better job of promoting your own concert choice, good luck)

• DJ
    April 04, 2011 - 19:10

I've seen some big acts over the years including The Rolling Stones, Van Halen, Elton John, etc. ... hands down the best delivered show was KISS. The entertainment value has not been matched ... you will leave with a smile on your face! Hopefully, the outdoor venue will be properly setup.

• Jenn
      April 06, 2011 - 15:23

I saw "Kiss" in toronto last year....they were AWESOME!!! Can't wait to see them in Grand-falls.

• ROOK
    April 03, 2011 - 08:06

Nice to see the old whiners are awake and tuned into the scene. Now just let ya hair down and relax, take the bunch outta ya panties and enjoy the show. It's great to see a BAND like KISS hit the rock. And I think we are quite lucky to get them to GF-W. Just make sure you have lots of cheese to go on the 9th of JULY, I figure you will need it. But I dont think you will have too many ears to bend!!!

• jeffer
    April 03, 2011 - 05:25

chris - those crappy canadian bands come here again and again because they need the money. they never have and never will fill a 500 seater south of the border unless they can find a town with 500 newfs living there. don't fool yourself into believing that they venture out to the middle of the atlantic twice a year because they enjoy piling their gear onto our ferry system so much. they can get quaint accents and good beer in any province in canada and any state in the US. they just don't have fans there.

• amazed
    April 02, 2011 - 14:20

To those saying KISS are washed up, KISS play to huge crowds world wide, there were 50 000+ in Halifax 2 years ago, as much in Qubec, they sold out the bell Centre, they played to 72000 in Houston a couple of weeks ago, the 2010 tour sold to huge crowds worldwide. KISS may be a band that's been on the go since 1973 but there is a reason for that, they are a good band with an awesome show and a huge worldwide following. Why didn't KISS play here in their prime? Maybe it's because only now a promoter put up the cash, because in the early 80's KISS was at a low point in their career and it would have been cheaper to get them here then than now as they are a huge worldwide concert draw today. The show will sell like mad and will be one of the best shows NL has ever seen.

• Scott
      April 12, 2011 - 08:44

They played to 90,000 in Quebec City. Also, I believe they played in San Paulo, Brazil to the tune of 80,000.

• Susan
    April 01, 2011 - 22:19

my comment was in regards to Tony's comment

• chris
      April 02, 2011 - 12:13

I am totally happy about the kiss concert but before people make comments like jeffer has made about "crappy bands like olp blue rodeo and the hip"remember all these bands were happy to come to Newfoundland overe andover again as they are in the prime of their careers.They are also the bands to be the first to say how much they love playing in our province.Where as in the case of dr.hook goo goo dolls and yes Kiss will come as their careers dwindle down and they can't get gigs like MSG or rogers center any more.Having said that kiss thankyou for coming and I can't wait to see you ROCK ON.

• Corey
    April 01, 2011 - 19:38

Well here's my 2 cents worth , nobody complained about the bands members when the Stones were to play Gander and as i recall, they have had 5 lineup changes, would you not go see Stones in central newfoundland because Darrell and not Bill is plucking the bass?!

• Corey
    April 01, 2011 - 19:34

• Tony
    April 01, 2011 - 10:02

It beats me why anyone would get excited over a washed up band that wouldn't even consider playing here when they were in their prime. 60 year-olds in make up can't disguise anything as far as I'm concerned. Only two original members with that! If the Salmon Festival committee was in the red before, this will certainly kill things.

• Susan
      April 01, 2011 - 22:13

obviously you have never seen KISS to see that they are worth seeing and you have a very negative attitude towards them coming to G.F.W. from what I hear people always complain about the other bands the committee gets and now they finally get a huge band and you just want to rain on everyone's party. GET OVER IT !!!!!

• Lucy
      April 01, 2011 - 22:38

Tony, Your comment is an April Fool's, right??! You honestly think the town will lose money?! Hahahahaha! I'd bet there'll be 20,000 or more people there!

• JT
    April 01, 2011 - 06:22

If they could only get Deep Purple to come here to play a gig, that would be awsome.

• Sam
      April 02, 2011 - 10:43

JT, I've been a lifelong fan of Deep Purple and saw them 2 years ago. Ian Gillan's voice is shot to pieces to the point that he can't even hit the medium notes anymore, let alone the high notes. It was very sad to see him struggle through the songs that night. Bob Dylan sounds better than Gillan these days. Trust me, you don't want to see Deep Purple because it will depress you.

• jeffer
    April 01, 2011 - 03:46

50% of Kiss is much better than 100% or OLP, Hip, Blue Rodeo or some other crappy canadian band for the 75th time on the island. No, we don' t have Criss and Frehley but the band aren't known for their instrumental wizardry. They were always mediocre in that regard at best. I saw the original lineup ten years ago and poor peter could barely keep up. But it's 4 guys in makeup. They are a brand, not a band. doesn't matter who's on stage, you go for the show. (the 3 guys in blue man group perform in 4 or 5 cities around the world at the same time...who cares who's behind the makeup?)

• Dee Dee
    March 31, 2011 - 18:39

I have to say I am excited as HECK to hear that KISS is coming to Grand Falls-Windsor for the Salmon Festival. This is the music of my generation (and I don't mind saying that)...and they put off quite a show. They are true performers and know how to ROCK IT OUT! I AM GIDDY WITH EXCITEMENT!

• Cathy
    March 31, 2011 - 15:13

So excited.....can't even describe the feeling I got when I first heard......I'll be counting down the day's!!!!!

• Ed
    March 31, 2011 - 14:30

From the few times I have watched pieces of Gene Simmons Family Jewels he comes across as the most pompous, full of himself conceitied person on TV. If the rest of the band is like this, i would not bother to go. I'm sure they will find some way to put down or patronize newfoundland and newfoundlanders even though he is married to one. Tickets should be real cheep for that. I'd rather see Blue Rodeo.

• russ billard
      March 31, 2011 - 22:14

Gene and Shannon are not married! If you've never seen a KISS concert, I wouldn't knock it based on Gene's Reality show... Get a Ticket and enjoy a moment in Kisstory. I've seen Kiss every time they have come to Halifax.

• Paul
    March 31, 2011 - 11:35

Way to go Grandfalls -windsor for getting something good here . After all these years you finally got something good .. I know that eric singer been here twice playing with Alice Cooper . I already met him and got my picture taken with him in 2008 . I hope that they will have meet and greet packages for sale . Hopefully see you at the show cause i know that i be there .

• LISA
    March 31, 2011 - 09:56

Actually , i heard that shannon Tweed comes back and forth to NL Quite alot.!! I think tthat its cool they are coming , and i am assuming the town will move the salmon festival date back a week to accomidate the group for the festival, After all the town has to do something to drum up the sales , after 2 summers in a row have not profited at all , they have had losses that could have jepordized the future of the festival..!!! I know i will be going to see them !!!

• Jay
    March 31, 2011 - 08:12

Who thinks that tomorrows headline is going to read "April Fools, KISS not coming to Grand Falls"

• Wrong Date
    March 31, 2011 - 07:41

Great for GFW - horrible for those who have already made plans for the weekend of the 9th to ensure they'd be around for "Salmon Festival". So I won't get to see Kiss or get to celebrate Salmonfest! Next time the town should consider doing like they did with Bon Jovi, have it in August and call it it's own concert....

• PV Sheaves
    March 31, 2011 - 07:39

OMG ROCK ON!!!! LIFE LONG KISS FAN!!!!

• KissFan
    March 31, 2011 - 07:30

I love love love KISS. We will be there for sure!! Can't wait for the dates to be confirmed so we can plan. According to the Grand Falls - Windsor website calendar of events, the Salmon Fest is from July 14 to July 18, does this mean KISS is coming before the Salmon Fest??

• JJ
      March 31, 2011 - 11:06

July 9th

• Trev
    March 31, 2011 - 06:49

Funny they were just talk;ing about how salmonfest is losing money every year due to the mediocre performers. Hopeful4ly this will change that.

• Chris
    March 31, 2011 - 06:19

Hopefully if they are actually here filming part of their Family Jewels episode they actually show all of NL and not just the town of GFW--no offence to GFW but there is a lot to show off in this province to an Internatianal TV show

• A
      March 31, 2011 - 12:08

I agree but Shannon isn't from GF-W so they will show more of her hometown I'd say.

• Concerned Resident
    March 31, 2011 - 04:30

So the Town will tie up our all ready short staffed policing resources and ambulances and not have to contribute to the additional expenditures of the Health Authority or RCMP for overtime and additional costs endured as a result of this concert. So not only do provincial and federal tax payers have to cover the costs the people of Grand Falls - Windsor and area have their services reduced in relation to vital emergency services. Yes way to go Grand Falls - Windsor town council thanks for ensuring residents safety is your number one priority.

• eastcoast
      March 31, 2011 - 08:02

Boo hoo! There's always a naysayer in every bunch! You're older than your years buddy - were you ever young?

• Wayne
      March 31, 2011 - 11:08

Listen now whomever all things aside ya needs the revenue out that way and the exposure by all the media in this Province on the world stage will do nothing but benifit you for years to come after a show like this but to be so ignorant as to say your city council is not concerned for its residents its one day or stardom for your town get over ya self !

• cat
      April 01, 2011 - 01:18

Oh give me a break! you are worried about public safety in the sleepy town of GFW due to using up resources on a concert that will generate revenue for your town and the mass appeal to perspective visitors when they find out that kiss has played there and see it due to being internationally televised from gene himself with his award winning show! Are you kidding me? Are you sure you live in the town of GFW...instead of concerning yourself with safety...why not concern yourself with generating revenue for the town so you can actually still live there along with your grand kids and their grand kids! NL as we all know depends on it's visitors...NL is built on tourism...it keeps it afloat! Bravo town of GFW..very excited for you to get something BIG!

• cat
      April 01, 2011 - 01:20

• Brenda
    March 30, 2011 - 21:55

I agree with Jodi on this one....Way to go town council, a fine desicion you have made!

• not impressed
    March 30, 2011 - 21:38

what happened to AC DC? this is a big drop off i can tell u from ac dc all the way down; to the bottom of the barrell to kiss better than another 40 minute set from the beach boys

• Burry
    March 30, 2011 - 21:37

@Ace I completely agree, But it is still kiss still the same great songs, Ive always wanted to see them and i know many who would want to as well

• Tina
    March 30, 2011 - 21:35

so exciting will deff be there and Gene makes the band.. lol

• michelle
    March 30, 2011 - 21:15

Kiss!!!

• Prax
    March 30, 2011 - 20:30

About two years ago I wrote Gene a very lengthy email asking why he hadn't exposed his two great kids to the province of NL. Why he had not visited with his 'partner' Shannon. Needless to say I never got a response from him but I would like to believe in my heart I had a small part to play; and I don't' say this in a cocky kind of way. Good for NL and it will be sensational. :) Prax

• bernie
    March 30, 2011 - 19:38

Have a look

• Michelle
    March 30, 2011 - 19:33

Please oh please let this be true! I have waited my whole life for this! Now to get tickets!

• Aaron
    March 30, 2011 - 19:30

Hey, I'm not going to complain one bit about who is, or isn't still in the band KISS. It's still KISS that is playing. Most bands go through allot of changes throughout the years. It's about time they pick up a DRAWING act, instead of just relying on the Salmon Festival name to draw on it's own. This will sell out the Salmon Festival very quickly. If it doesn't, I will be very surprised. So to anyone viewing this, take my advice. If you really want to see KISS at Salmon Festival, be on the watch for when the tickets go on sale, and buy them right away. You might regret it if you don't, because like I said, they will sell fast!

• Dodi
    March 30, 2011 - 19:05

Wow! Great job breaking the story Tara!

• Pete
    March 30, 2011 - 19:05

They can't play on the 9th... Jaysus. Thats the day I'm getting married~!! Weddings off honey! hahaha :(

• A
      March 31, 2011 - 12:09

lol uh oh

• Steve P
    March 30, 2011 - 19:04

Who cares about Ace and Cat's makeup really? Thayer and Singer are better players than those two wasters ever were, and it's all about the show anyway. It's a rock and roll fantasy. It's like musical theatre. Can only one person where the Phantom Of The Opera mask? After seeing them in Halifax I said I would pay anything and go anywhere to see that show again. I didn't think it would be so close to home.

• nowIsee
    March 30, 2011 - 18:52

For the first time in my 42 years, I have a reason to travel to GFW. Most excellent, see you all in July...

• Michelle
    March 30, 2011 - 18:34

• barry crowley
      March 31, 2011 - 07:30

Hoping this is not an April Fool's Joke, KISS fans will NOT be amused~!

• Jodi
    March 30, 2011 - 18:23

This is excellent. This was only a dream when we were kids! Way to go town council, a fine desicion you have made!

• antessa-lynn
    March 30, 2011 - 18:17

I can't wait!!!!!!!!KISS is the the best,especially Gene!!

• angie
    March 30, 2011 - 18:14

omg i can't wait!!!!!!!!KISS is the the best

• bar
    March 30, 2011 - 18:13

Is Grand falls going to be ready for this? This is great news for the town and the struggling festival but can they handle the crowd? If this is true they will end up having more people than the town or site can handle. Way to go but be careful what you wish for especially if you’re caught on prepared for the on slot. On a side note you won’t have any problem breaking even this year if it’s done right.. If not you could be in a world of trouble..

• Joe Rowe
      March 31, 2011 - 23:03

They had the Beach Boys at the height of their career, and the field has been expanded since then, I'm sure they will have no problem handling the crowd. You can also limit the number of tickets available, there is really no reason for concern.

• JJ
      April 02, 2011 - 08:42

I agree that it will be tough for the town to handle a large crowd due to our lack of accomodations, however we have handled almost 40,000 plus for the beach boys way back and also over 20,000 for bon jovi back in the early 90's. The word is that there are only 20,000 tickets being sold, so that is probably the number they worked out based on what the hotels, camp grounds, and surrounding communities can handle. Just a thought!

• Glynis
    March 30, 2011 - 18:12

I saw them in Halifax in 2009!!! And would definitely see them here!! This would be awesome!!!!!!

• Alex
    March 30, 2011 - 17:37

I would love to see Rush come, they're Canadian....Imagine that!

• Anon
    March 30, 2011 - 17:04

The family is currently in Israel, filming for the show in Simmons’ hometown. - LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL Of course... Can't wait for this show. Also, I thought tweed was from Dildo?

• karmeny
      April 01, 2011 - 08:35

shannon tweed was born in st. john's and raised in whitbourne

• PAUL
    March 30, 2011 - 17:04

LETS NOT FORGET GENE SIMMONS IS AN OUTSPOKEN FORMER MUSIC STAR AGAINST OUR SEAL HUNT....HE'S JUST ANOTHER PAUL MCCARTHNEY IN A MASK...HE'S NOT COMING HERE TO VISIT HIS IN-LAWS,JUST TO PUT MONEY IN HIS POCKET.I WOULD NOT BE SURPRISED TO SEE A TIE IN WITH HIS TV SHOW AND AN ANTI SEALING MESSAGE IN THE FUTURE...COME FELLOW NEWFS,DO WE NEED THIS MAN/GROUP PERFORMING HERE !!

• Tracy
      March 31, 2011 - 17:12

Yes we do!!!

• Anne
      April 02, 2011 - 10:50

News flash Paul. The vast and silent majority of Newfoundlanders agree with Gene Simmons and Paul McCartney; it is cruel and unncessary, the seal hunt is dead, time to let it go and move on. Only reason we in this province get upset about people like Simmons and McCartney complaining is because we don't like outsiders telling us what to do. Case in point, our dislike of Stephen Harper.

• Bruce Kulick
    March 30, 2011 - 15:59

We don't need to get into which KISS formation is better.

• Don
    March 30, 2011 - 15:50

Way to Grand Falls-Windsor.....on the verge of becoming the team to win the Herder the most in its history and for bringing in a legendary band like KISS. St. John's, you can take your folk festival.

• sarah hibbs
      March 30, 2011 - 17:41

Folk festival is awesome....I would take that over kiss anyday

• NewfieGrl
      March 30, 2011 - 17:50

Don-Why can't you just make a positive comment and be happy for Grand Falls-Windsor.The backlash at St.John's and the folk festival was uncalled for and childish at best

• Ace
    March 30, 2011 - 15:13

Too bad it's not really Kiss. Come on -- What's Kiss wihtout Ace Frehley? Still, it's better than Our Lady Peace for the 15th time. Next year get Tom Petty!!

• Tanya YDF
      March 30, 2011 - 15:46

AWESOME!!!!

• lovin it
      March 30, 2011 - 16:27

Ohh come ON! There are dozens of bands without all their original members! But I suppose theres always gotta be those who just HAVE to find something negative in everything, eh? I assume you'll be at splash n putt instead. :)

• Jordan
      March 30, 2011 - 19:28

While ace was a great part of Kiss we all know that it's still KISS without ACE. GENE AND PAUL make KISS! And besides, Tommy Thayer is sick too!

• Nonya
      March 30, 2011 - 19:45

2 Originals are better that one!!! OLP??? How about the hip?? Been waiting for them to show up on the rock since the farewell with all the rumors!!! Seen em in 2000 on the farewell tour, at least they are comin. I am a huge AF fan but suck it up butter cup and appreciate it!!

• bob
      March 30, 2011 - 22:36

really man, you're gonna complain about getting kiss, cause they are no longer the original band? You aren't satisfied with one of the biggest rock and roll bands of all time? give credit where its due, this was a great move by the town of gfw and you should be thankful.

• Peter
      April 01, 2011 - 01:44

Who cares if Ace and Peter are not in the band? Bruce Kulick and Eric Carr were in the band as long or longer, and better musicians. Did anyone ever care that Van Halen had Sammy Hagar? Some maybe, but not the millions of ppl who bought their records.....tons of bands change members....but it's the music, not necessarily the ppl, as long as the feel and core of the band is there....that's Gene and Paul. Without THEM it wouldn't be Kiss...besides....half of the albums Ace and Peter were credited with they never played on....