Johnny Reid to the rescue

Michael Gregory

Johnny Reid performs during the 2010 Juno awards. — Telegram file photo

A local woman and her neice are attending Johnny Reid’s concert next week after receiving complimentary tickets from the singer’s management.

In a story reported by The Telegram last month, Charlotte Ryan was nearly scammed online while looking for two concert tickets.

After contacting the seller through the posted ad, it became apparent something wasn’t quite right.

“I asked her to phone me a couple times and she said no phone calls only email,” said Ryan.

The scammer wanted Ryan to send money for the tickets through Western Union or Fedex. Ryan naturally refused, unsure if this person would even honour the exchange.  It was when the scammer mentioned living in Gander, and Ryan offered to have a family member pick up the tickets, that communication ceased.

She’s been told since that the person she contacted may not even exist and could be located as far away as Europe.

Ryan thought that was the end of the story.

Then a few weeks ago after the article appeared in the news, she was contacted by Chris Ashton at Johnny Mac Entertainment — offering a meet and greet with Reid himself.

“He asked me if I had tickets ... I said we were hoping as the day came closer there may be someone offering up some up,” said Ryan. “Then he emailed me back and said ‘If you don’t have tickets already we’d like to offer you two complimentary tickets.’’’

Ryan said she’s delighted to be going to the show with her neice. As of this week there were no longer tickets available for purchase that were beside one another.

“I accompanied her the last time (Reid) was here and thoroughly enjoyed it — she absolutely loves him,” said Ryan.

Ryan said they haven’t planned what they’d say or wear to meet and greet with Reid, but are thankful and excited to get the opportunity.

gregory.michaeld@gmail.com

NOTE: Stort edited (Aug. 13) to correct name of Ms. Ryan. Correct name is as shown.

Organizations: The Telegram, Western Union

Geographic location: Gander, Europe

Comments

Comments

• Miranda
    August 15, 2011 - 15:26

Miranda L Tucker Budgell Thank you Johnny Reid .You have made me the happiest Mom on god's green earth.When i saw you come off stage coming thru the crowd i said to my disabled daughter Nicole there he is .Never in my wildest dreams you would pass our aisle then all of a sudden you looked up and said I want to go up there.i was thinking God he is so close next aisle over when i never knew what happened up over seats you came i put my arm around you helped you climb over the rail and you went into Nicole's arms .You kissed her and hugged her i wish you could have seen her face.smiling laughing !!!!Nicole loves music but when I put your dvd in the player She is super excited.You have beautiful heart and soul.Making time for special angels .You then went down the aisle of wheelchairs you are truly one of god's special angels.God Bless you and your family.Hugs from Miranda and Nicole Budgell.St.John's

• Rita Kavanagh
    August 08, 2011 - 09:29

Wow, the same thing happened to me only I was looking for Reba tickets and I had already sent my money to a man who claimed he had tickets, but it turned out that he was a fraud. So now I am out of my money and and still no tickets, I was so upset it wasn't funny I can't believe what people would do for money it's crazy.

• Patricia Campbell
    August 05, 2011 - 22:04

Johnny Reid is the best in music and at heart

• Diane Delaney
    August 05, 2011 - 21:28

This but just another example of the genuine kindness of this amazing entertainer! He is indeed good to his fans! He's certainly deserves to win Fan's Choice this year at the CCMA's!!

• Betty Lewis
    August 05, 2011 - 18:55

Isn't that just typical of the man!! Johnny, you are a star in every way!! xx

• MeganS
    August 05, 2011 - 18:35

What a great story!!! Ms Gray and her niece are sure to have an awesome time! Hopefully the next time Johnny Reid is playing in the Maritimes, I'll be lucky and get a ticket. I think it would be a dream come true to attend one of his concerts and/or to sit down and have a cup of tea and chat with him!!! Keep up the great work Johnny!!! From one of your many "older" fans!! lol

• sheila jolliffe
    August 05, 2011 - 16:58

he is awesome

• Christa
    August 05, 2011 - 11:25

I just loved this story! While I'm not a big fan of his music at all, I think he knows what the music business is all about - the fans. He treats his fans so well and wants to make sure that everyone is happy. This story is just another example of his kindness towards his fans. Great to hear!

• Judi
      August 05, 2011 - 13:23

Johnny Reid is one of the most beloved artists in music today...partly for random acts of kindness just like this. Just one of reasons he will be honoured in September with the CCMA 's 2011 Humanitarian of the Year award. He has also received 6 CCMA nominations for his work this past year..including Fan's Choice. He is an amazing performer whose music touches your heart and soul. In person, he is charming, and easy to converse with...such a down to earth loving man with a heart of gold.

• Cathy
      August 05, 2011 - 20:50

Johnny Reid is an amazing artist. I got his last CD and DVD A Place called Love as a gift. I love it. I play it all the time. He is so great. I just love this story. It shows that there are good people left in this world. It is so good to see.

• Marie Rowland
      August 06, 2011 - 00:40

I had the pleasure of seeing Johnny at a cornfest in Jarvis,Ontario,Canada about 4 years ago and I was hooked on him as both a fab. singer and a Great entertainer. He is so humble, he thanks everyone for spending their hard earned money to go see him and I'm so proud of Canada for excepting him as a Country artist when at first the States wouldn't, they sure like him now though. I love his singing and I wish I could get to see his every performance but that's not possiable so I listen to my CD's( I have all of them) as often as I can and I never tire of his fabulous voice. Keep the songs coming Johnny. Your number one fan from Oakland,Ont. Canada. Take care and God Bless you and your family.