Fresh Tracks - Kim Stockwood

— Submitted photo

While Kim Stockwood’s world spills out well beyond the shores of Newfoundlandand Labrador, she is anchored heart and soul to this place. She seeks out what is special here and searches for a voice that will reflect her longing and love for the province. One way she has found to capture that voice is to go “Back To The Water.” Her wealth of experience and her longing for home have laid the foundation for “Back To The Water.” The album is filled with the sound and fury of a place that surges upward with a fist of rock and grabs life from the sky’s air. The album is enriched and enlivened by Newfoundland musical luminaries and session players who would shame the Nashville Scene. Kim has chosen her songs carefully, with the romance of the “St. John’s Waltz” held arm’s-length against the everlasting anguish of Atlantic Blue. Ron Hynes is served well here. The title track, “Back To The Water,” was written with her close friend, Damhnait Doyle and you can hear it now at thetelegram.com. Click here to here the title track.

Geographic location: Newfoundlandand Labrador, Newfoundland

Comments

Comments

• mkeith
    February 03, 2012 - 16:01

Kim has always been a proud Newfoundlander. I haven't heard the album yet, but am going to her show. She's a great performer.

• mkeith
    February 03, 2012 - 16:01

• F-Ville
    February 03, 2012 - 15:59

Love, Love LOVE KIM! My favourite song is 12 years old!

• ATKS
    February 03, 2012 - 15:57

I love Kim and have been a huge follower since early on in her career. I love the fact that she still holds true to her roots and makes such beautiful music. Can't wait to see her show when she hits town!

• Two Kim Stories In Four Days
    February 03, 2012 - 11:44

Why has the Telegram promoted this performer twice in less than a week? Must be out of Republic of Doyle stories. You have competitors for entertainment news in this city you know.

• Barrelman
    February 03, 2012 - 11:23

Sad that such a beautiful, touching song by Kim about her longing for her island have gotten such a negative -- and first -- online response from POLITICAL WATCHER . I first saw and heard "Back To The Water" performed by Kim with only a guitar backing her on You Tube and have been anxiously awaiting its release on CD. Looking forward to hearing Kim's other songs when I buy it. Good job; well done, Kim! You've got a beautiful heart, my love.

• Political watcher
    February 03, 2012 - 09:35

Firstl, I am a hugh supporter of local music and musicians and take every opportunity to purchase and listen to their music. With this CD I cannot say the same; I feel Kim is taking advantage of her local roots in this release. My favouritNL song is on this cd and have to say that when I heard it on the radio I literally changed the station. While I understand that one can't be on the top of their game at all times, I feel she has missd the boat with this one. She does not have a great sounding voice on this cd and should have left it alone.