Dr. Elias Bartellas receives award from Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada

Colin MacLean

For more than 30 years Dr. Elias Bartellas has worked as an obstetrician/gynecologist in St. John’s as well as an assistant professor at Memorial University’s School of Medicine. He is currently a clinical associate professor at MUN’s department of obstetrics and gynecology. — Photo by Joe Gibbons/The Telegram

Dr. Elias Bartellas likes to joke that most of his colleagues were at one time or another his students.  He says it with a chuckle, but that doesn’t make it any less true.

Over his many years mentoring young doctors and practicing medicine, Bartellas has developed a profound enjoyment of the process of moulding young minds.

“Practicing medicine — you have to believe in it. If you believe in it and you like it and you think it’s a worthwhile cause then you practice what you teach or you teach what you practice. I’ve been fortunate to work in a very encouraging atmosphere,” he said.

For his efforts, the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada has named Bartellas Mentor of the Year for the Atlantic region.

The award is prestigious, with only a handful of physicians selected from each region every year.

The award is designed to recognize physicians who have made significant impacts on the education of residents/fellows.

Bartellas was told in November that he would be getting the award. It will take the form of a plaque that will be presented during a small ceremony at a later date.

Getting that phone call was a humbling moment, said Bartellas.

“It’s an honour. It makes me feel like what I’ve done and what I’m continuing to do is worthwhile,” he said.

Born and raised in the Republic of Cyprus, Bartellas has spent more than 30 years in St. John’s as an obstetrician/gynecologist. He is primarily a clinician, but also spent 30 years as an assistant professor at Memorial University’s School of Medicine. He is currently a clinical associate professor at MUN in the department of obstetrics and gynecology.

Bartellas received his medical degree at Hebrew University, Hadassah Medical School in Jerusalem, Israel, under a World Health Organization scholarship. He finished his residency in Ashkelon, Israel. But following the Turkish invasion of northern Cyprus in the early 1970s, Bartellas decided to move to Canada. He repeated his residency through MUN.

Throughout his career, Bartellas has been involved in research projects, the implementation of programs and has travelled internationally to volunteer in disaster zones.

He’s had a long list of accomplishments, but that doesn’t diminish this most recent accolade, he said.

“I was extremely glad to get it and I was humbled — when I saw the names of the other people who got it before me ... three very prominent doctors whom I adore and whom I think I’m not at their level ... so I was up in the clouds,” he said.

cmaclean@thetelegram.com

Organizations: Royal College of Physicians, School of Medicine, Hebrew University Hadassah Medical School World Health Organization

Geographic location: Canada, Israel, Republic of Cyprus Jerusalem Ashkelon Northern Cyprus

Comments

Comments

• Cliodna Kelly
    April 18, 2012 - 14:02

Well done Elias! I am so proud of you - It's a pleasure simply to know you and a bonus that you are one of my WONDERFUL brother in-laws! Love cleo

• Jean Vincent R.N.
    February 21, 2012 - 07:36

Congratulations Dr. Bartellas on this very well deserved recognition.. I worked with you in the operating room and I always say you get to really know a doctor working in the OR under stressful conditions.You were/ are the consumate professional....ever recognizing the privacy of your patients when they were awake and under anaesthetic you always met the challenges of your profession in a quiet manner relying on your medical knowledge.You were always curteous and respectful to your co workers and staff. I loved to work with you!! I wish you continued success and good health.

• Monica Hurson Kelly
    February 19, 2012 - 11:48

Congratulations to you on this wonderful honour. We are so proud of you Elias. From all the family in Co Meath. Hope to see you in September.

• Genny Barron
    February 17, 2012 - 03:08

Congratulations Dr. Bartellas! Of course we know you have it in you! Thank you for being my doctor and helping me with my problems! You're the best!

• Christa Mullaly
    February 16, 2012 - 14:51

A wonderful man, mentor, friend and teacher. Well deserved. So happy to hear about this award for a worthy, worthy physician. Thanks for your outstanding contribution to women's health. Christa Mullaly OB/Gyn - Fredericton, New Brunswick

• Jean tobin
    February 14, 2012 - 20:20

Dr. Bartellas , you are one of few Doctors who make his patients comfortable . You are one of the good guys..and i am glad to have you in my corner when i need you..

• Theodoros Kabisios
    February 14, 2012 - 18:18

I'd also like to congratulate Dr. Bartellas, and take this opportunity to thank him. I'm one of those he mentored in the residency program, and have to say he is a wonderful role-model, both as a clinician and a person. Συγχαρητήρια και πολλά ευχαριστώ!

• Chandini Roberts
    February 14, 2012 - 03:26

Congratulations!!!!! Xoxox

• jackson fowlow
    February 14, 2012 - 00:05

I'm so happy to hear this. so well deserved. Elias is one of the the nicest men I know and is a great male role model. so great

• Amanda Perran
    February 13, 2012 - 20:45

Congrats Dr. Bartellas! You delivered my baby girl a year ago and will be forever my hero for giving me the greatest gift I have ever received.

• George Miminis
    February 13, 2012 - 13:16

I am very proud to have been a good friend of Elias for many years. Elias is not only a well deserving medical award winner "mentor of the year" but he is also an excellent dancer as well as a fantastic cook! His lamp roast is to die for! But most of all Elias is a great human being! Yia sou Liako

• JJ
    February 13, 2012 - 13:14

Congratulations Dr. Bartellas!!! My family members have been fortune to have you as their physician and can only say wonderful things about your care, experience, professionalism and kindness. We are proud to have you as our fellow Newfoundlander Labradorian!!!

• Bonnie Butler
    February 13, 2012 - 10:09

congratulations to Dr. Bartellas on this award. i was never a patient of his but family members and we can only say kind words about him.His kindness compassion and caring was second to none. He took his valuable time and spoke to us and treated us like he really cared.We were fortunate enought to have been his patients and one last thing that we can say is that a lot of other doctors should take a page from his book and treat ther patients with the same respect and take the time to answer important questions.God Bless you Dr. Bartellas for coming and staying in our beautiful province.

• Joan Kehoe
      February 13, 2012 - 20:20

Congratulations to Dr. Bartellas. A just reward for a fine physician and having known him as a physician and co-worker over several years,I am delighted on his behalf.

• john brooks
      February 13, 2012 - 20:47

Congratulations to one of the good guys;. Having known you all these years i am aware that hardwork ;humility; respect for others and professionalism are your core values .We could all learn a thing or two from you Elias.

• Maria Stephani
      February 14, 2012 - 14:11

Great!!! Congratulations!!! I am proud that you are my brother.