Comments

Comments

• DrunktankDan
    October 15, 2014 - 12:53

I had never heard the term 'Newfoundland Steak' until today while watching a Trailer Park Boys episode. I thought perhaps I was missing out on some amazing type of beef worth traveling for. Now that I know it is but humble Bologna, beloved by the working classes down here in California as well, I am even more pleased (and get the 'joke')

• Lee Smith
    January 11, 2014 - 19:18

I'm from Maine, US, and I've always eaten bologna. We used to have a company named Jordan's which sold 5 Lb logs. Fried bologna as a sandwich or for breakfast was a staple. Sadly, the went belly up some years ago. Imagine my delight when vacationing on Grand Manan Island, NB, I discovered logs of Maple Leaf bologna for sale, and the meat tasted just like the old Jordan's. Tragically, when we crossed the border to go home, the &@(%#*+ border guard confiscated the two bologna logs I intended to bring home, and put them in the trash barrel.

• Johnny Red
    April 05, 2012 - 21:29

I agree with David. Let us abolish the word newfie once and for all!

• Tony
    April 05, 2012 - 14:47

Lighten up Grant. Tube Steak is very common reference for a hot dog weiner. Stop going out of your way for things to be overly PC about.....

• Arthur
    April 05, 2012 - 00:14

I am a Newfoundlander living in Thailand and they have a type of bologna here which is made from pork and is very popular.

• David
    April 04, 2012 - 19:06

Does anyone out there think, if all African-Americans were so entirely oblivious to being referred to by such a demeaning and condescending term as the N-word, that other people would not still be doing so to this day?

• Terry Houston
    April 04, 2012 - 10:13

Ah yes, tube steak. sometimes we would dip it in egg before frying.

• Claudette
      April 04, 2012 - 12:49

I grew up on fried bologna and mashed potatoes and I LOVED it. I now live in the US and I have tried numerous times to get my american husband to try this newfoundland dish, but he will not. He don't know what he is missing :)

• Grant
      April 04, 2012 - 14:33

RE: Mr Houston, You do realize that Tube Steak is a barely veiled, and fairly well known, reference to a man's genitals. As such is in inappropriate to be used in this way. Poor Humor on your part sir, but as a Troll I don't say you care.