Comments

Comments

• Jose Gonzalez
    January 21, 2013 - 16:16

Poster Police!

• Colleen Quigley
    January 18, 2013 - 13:41

There are almost 3000 posters of local shows and productions (music, theatre and dance) part of the Archives and Special Collections, QEII Library (Memorial University) that are posted online. http://collections.mun.ca/cdm4/description.php?phpReturn=typeListing.php&id=157 They are all searchable by keyword. You can search by performer, band name or venue. Enjoy! If you have posters that you would like to donate to the archives please contact us at 709-864-4349 or via email: archives@mun.ca

• Wallace Ryan
    January 18, 2013 - 09:35

It's fine to have a great poster but the Cartoonists of St. John's is putting bands and other poster makers that PIRATED art on poster will no longer be tolerated and the posters will be removed by us and a complaint lodged with the host venue. I can't believe I have to say this but musicians have to respect the copyrights of others! Stealing a piece of art off the net shows to the public that since you have to steal art that you must lack imagination...or you're just dishonest and cheap. Either way, you're probably a band not worth seeing. If you need art, check out any local designer or illustrator. Get one of your friends to do it! Just don't steal it!!!

• Johnny
      January 18, 2013 - 16:06

Good thing we got the culture cops out prowling the streets protecting the rights of major corporations. Get a life!

• Jud Haynes
      January 20, 2013 - 03:13

I think your comment is meant for a different group of poster artists Wallace. I know I often times spent 20 hours illustrating every detail of my own posters and I know Alex, John, Jose, etc all personally, and know they do the same. This article is really profiling the folks that make poster work from scratch. Albeit, there is something to be said for the punk rock aesthetic of collaged posters, and incredibly iconic album covers like God Save The Queen never would have existed if the occasional graphic artist didn't break a rule every now and then. So remove posters as you see fit, and lodge whatever complaints you like, but i think the Telegram's article here was meant to draw light on those of us that work hard at creating custom poster works from scratch. Even the bands mentioned are all groups that hire local artists to create new art for them, so I feel your comments must not be directed at any one associated with, or mentioned in this article. www.judhaynes.com

• Mathew Carter
    January 18, 2013 - 09:32

I absolutely love Perfect Day, John Devereaux has his organization are an inspiration. I cannot recommend using perfect day enough for any 'creative communication' needs.