Comments

Comments

• Mamaofthree
    February 14, 2013 - 10:05

Great piece and thanks to Debbie for creating an accessible format with her book and show for discussion about this difficult issue. Children need to lean at a young age that bullying in any form is not acceptable and to show compassion for those who are victims. The show/book gets kids talking about bullying and what they can do to help. All schools in the province should get Debbie to come in for a visit.

• Marion
    February 14, 2013 - 08:53

Hello Readers, It is quite remarkable to see Miss Debbie Hanlon put forward her Anti-bullying message using her book, “The Adventures of Gus and Isaac: Backyard Bullies. I for one,can attest that the message is getting through. My son came home from school boasting about the show and the book. Normally, when I as, " How was school today?" I get a one word answer, "Good". After the Gus and Isaac, "I'm No Bully Show", my son had a full conversation with me about about it. This proves Miss Debbie Hanlon's has touched one child's life. So I am confident that other children will get the message as well.

• Jay
    February 13, 2013 - 22:14

this is such a awesome story. it's so good to read GOOD news ^.^

• Scott Boland
    February 13, 2013 - 22:11

This was an informative article that will certainly bring awareness to our schools. As a matter of fact, my son who attends grade 3 at Beachy Cove Elementary came home today with the article in his book bag.  His teacher had read it to his class this afternoon. I think Debbie is making an amazing influence with her well written books and I know for the children at the schools that she has visited, she made a major impact. We support Debbie in her passionate crusade to reach as many children as she can......The more schools that Debbie could visit would certainly relay the message on such a personal level which is what these kids need.  We support her in all her efforts!"

• Patricia Andrews
    February 13, 2013 - 21:13

Hats off to Debbie and all who work to end this attack on children. The term Bullying in my opinion is outdated. Childhood Assault is more appropriate for what is happening these days. My child had her arm broken in grade two as a result of a "Bully". The effects of this kind of trauma for a child are felt many years after the assault and needs to stop. When a parent can’t send their children to school without the worry of them being harmed, things have gone too far. Everyone has to notice and react to children who Bully. Sometimes they (small children) are not even aware that what they are doing has major and lasting negative effects on others. Everyone needs to be a part of the Village that it takes to raise a child. Having said that, schools are being proactive in teaching children about Bullying. It’s up to families to make sure that their children get "The Memo" regarding Bullying and teach their children to follow through on the messages they are being taught in school and through great books and campaigns such as this.

• C.Reid
    February 13, 2013 - 19:16

I am not surprised to read such an impressive and positive article about "Gus and Issac" and author Debbie Hanlon. Debbie was kind enough to visit my classroom in 2012 and share the strong message Gus and Issac (characters from her book) had to offer about bulling. I was most impressed with the interaction and engagement of students. Debbie encouraged students to participate and ask questions. The students were very impressed when she showed them pictures of the REAL characters on her iPad. The connection between this book and real life situations is quite a learning experience for any child. I have to add, the use of nfld terms and the glossary used in the book gave an extra bonus about our own culture.

• B.
    February 13, 2013 - 18:36

Awesome article! I love seeing anti-bullying in the minds of young children. It's acts like these that can save some kids down the road