Comments

Comments

• Laura
    September 29, 2013 - 07:35

I started picking at my skin at the age of 13. I am now 30. I am like an alcoholic, except I can't remove the liquor from my house, as it's attached to me. Because it's a subconscious habit, I have to write journals, cover mirrors, wear gloves, and monitor how much time I spend alone so I don't massacre my face and body. It's definitely challenging and dangerous, and highly embarrassing. It's very easy to gain infection from broken skin especially when you're always touching and reopening wounds. It's true mania. It's great that it's being discussed. Can't imagine how helpful it is and will be for current and future sufferers.

• Bev
    June 03, 2013 - 16:22

You, Sir or Mam, who doesn't think this subject is newsworthy, have no real understanding of what it does to your life. It is a private affliction that colors every facet of your life, from interaction with others to facing yourself. There is so much I could tell you, but I see that you probably couldn't understand.

• Lisa
    June 03, 2013 - 12:56

Possibly, if this disorder had been given a different label, then it would sound/appear more worthy. Lame, but all of you know what I mean. I appreciate the article & found it an informative read. I, embarrassingly, do this & was unaware many others did. The amount of time spent/lost is dumbfounding! I'm conscious of my looks & health, yet I do this to my arms & thighs. Can't stop, it's stupid like all other disorders. But it exists & is a problem. Thanks again for the article. It is informative, silly label aside. :)

• Tracy
    June 03, 2013 - 12:33

WOW!!! As I was reading this I was hearing my daughter tell the story and not Hartlin. It's such a relief to know she is not alone in her battle with this disease. Now all I have to do is get her diagnosed with this rather than just be told there's nothing wrong with her.

• original townie
    June 03, 2013 - 12:23

@ April....you could fill the pages of The Telegram with stories pertaining to mental disorders. This article certainly doesn't rank up there on the "importance" scale.

• April
      June 03, 2013 - 13:39

@ Original Townie: Sadly, this woman's story is not unique. People with mental illnesses face unnecessary barriers when seeking treatment due to stigma, ignorance, and a lack of services. Getting an improper diagnosis for a mental problem can be as deadly as if it were a cancer. It's beyond important, it's vital that the information gets out to the people who need it. (1 in 5 Canadians will suffer a mental illness at some point in their lives)

• April
    June 03, 2013 - 10:48

This article provides new and pertinent information regarding a Mental Disorder, how is that not news worthy? Your logic baffles. You'd benefit from educating yourself....maybe reading articles such as this one is a good place to start. There is no health withour mental health.

• original townie
    June 03, 2013 - 06:53

Really.....this is news worthy? Maybe the Halifax Herald reporting this for whatever reason, but our local paper?