Comments

Comments

• James T.
    April 04, 2014 - 07:27

The "hostile, holier-than-thou" attitudes of the commenters on here are simple to explain. They're almost all industry shills. Companies, governments, any group with an agenda now has armies of these lowlifes trawling the internet posting under fake accounts to advance their employers' interests. They definitely outnumber pure basic internet user commenters, by a sizeable margin now. In the comments here, the BMO/Mastercard bashing makes it all the more obvious. These shills are everywhere and are disgusting. Closer to subhuman more than human. That said, to the author and site: I found the article actually quite excellent and helpful. I was thinking of using one of these cards and this has given me some needed real caution, thank you!

• Michelle
    November 11, 2013 - 15:39

"...and my son may not look at his Visa prepaid card account for months." And whose fault is that? Would he go months without looking at his bank account? If he had a credit card, would he go without looking at that account for months? Maybe these cards *aren't* the best choice for everyone, but if you have half a grain of sense and keep track of it the same way you would a credit card or debit card, you're fine. But if you're the type of person who's completely careless about keeping track of what's going on in your account (whatever type of account you might have) then maybe you're better off just dealing in cash.

• Business Loan
    September 11, 2013 - 06:54

You can take away from something simply because of how visually beautiful it is. Youve put together a great blog space —great graphics, videos, layout. This is definitely a must-see blog. Business Loan

• Jack F.
    August 23, 2013 - 18:14

I don't understand the hostile, holier-than-though attitudes of the commenters here. For bettor or worse, these types of cards are becoming ever more popular, and no one seems to have a handle on the details, including the sellers. It would be practically useless to say "stay away from prepaid credit cards" without providing some context. Very interesting to see the confusin and lack of consistency between the various companies involved.

• writeme
    June 05, 2013 - 23:29

You must be very wealthy to be able to complain about this. I had a Bank of Montreal account with a BMO prepaid Mosaik Mastercard attached for 4 years. The BMO prepaid Mosaik Mastercard caused me no end of embarrassment, was not accepted online in most places, stores refused it, fearing "fraud". It never worked when I needed it, it froze my own cash on my card by surprise (if you wanted to spend $10, you had to deposit $20 as "security" which is lunacy), it had no online access, and I finally cut it up! Also, I paid $4.00 a month in fees to BMO, who had NO ATM where I live (after I moved, new place was no longer walking distance). I got socked multiple $2.00 or $2.50 withdrawal fees every time I touched my own money on BMO's own Interac card in a non-BMO ATM, and a fat penalty of $2.50 by BMO for not using their ATM. The alternative was $6 in bus fares to go to BMO! Not much of a choice. Pay ATM or pay Bus fare. The only 2 times I wrote a check, BMO f--d it up! On top of it, one day, I paid for a $450 money order, but the BMO teller wrote a $4500.00 money order & slipped it into the envelope, which I only saw when I got home. I gave it back! But BMO treated me like sh-t for 4 years, and charged me penalties because they had no ATM in my area. I dumped the account and bought an InstaCheques prepaid VISA. It costs me $7 a month plus .50c per transaction! That's $84 a year plus transaction fees. It has online account access. In comparison, Canada Post's VISA is only $3.00 a month, that's $36 a year, plus $15 first year to start up. That's a $33 saving year one, and a $48 saving per year after that. Sounds good to me! Did you ask Canada Post Visa about per-transaction fees? I saw none listed at Canada Post's site. If there are none, that's only $36 a year to use the VISA name and shop online, load funds to PayPal, use eBay etc. If there are Canada Post Prepaid Visa transaction fees, I would not switch if they came out to more than I pay now for my prepaid Titanium VISA at InstaCheques, but I think there are none. I'm looking into the Canada Post Prepaid VISA card. If I can shop online with it, load funds into PayPal, and maybe even put checks on it, I think it's a good deal.

• Splitting Hairs
      June 13, 2013 - 20:53

As already mentioned, the BMO prepaid card is a PITA, typical bank red tape, difficult / slow loading, refused payments both online and in store, and too many FEES!!!!!!. I switched to Canada Post prepaid card and love it, minimal fees and have used it NUMEROUS times both online and in various stores, never once with a problem. The only downside is not getting a monthly statement. and the website is not real time up to-date with regard to latest transaction / account balance.

• Splitting Hairs
      June 13, 2013 - 20:55

• Steve Kirke
    June 04, 2013 - 15:37

Very silly and pointless article. The terms and fees for such prepaid Visas are clearly spelled out, including on the Canada Post website. It rarely makes sense to use them and they don't have the functionality of true credit cards. If a kid needs a credit card to secure reservations, etc. get a no-fee actual credit card from a real issuer, then get a free supplementary credit card on the account for him and set a very low credit limit. Pay off the balance monthly. Problem solved. Instead, the writer goes into detail on how to complain over a prepaid Visa when she should have known the terms.

• EL_HUEVON
      April 08, 2014 - 12:11

The Canada Post card CAN be used for reservations of all sorts. I've made reservations in Canada, US and Ecuador using this card. No problems whatsoever.

• EL_HUEVON
      April 08, 2014 - 12:19

The investigation and report in this article with regards to the Canada Post Visa Card is quite a lazy one. The CP card's balance is easily reviewed online. The CP card can be used no problem for all types of reservations all over the world. There IS protection from criminal acts regarding this card. Somehow someone accessed my card number in a totallly different country and used it for a purchase. This was flagged and someone immediately contacted me. Once I confirmed that I had not made the purchase, the card was cancelled and a new one was issued to me iimediately. Also, the funds in question were returned to my new account.

• Mary Jo
    June 04, 2013 - 14:20

Ever hear of a bank......

• Edmund
    June 04, 2013 - 11:30

I would be embarrassed to tell everyone that the stupid person who purchased this card is even remotely related to me let alone immediate family. Time for the Telegram to get more competent writers so their readers can enjoy more important stories. RTFM

• Simple solution
    June 04, 2013 - 10:44

Don't buy one !!!

• P
    June 04, 2013 - 08:33

This is a case of someone who did not read the terms and conditions before signing for and purchasing a prepaid credit card. I have, until recently, depended on a prepaid card for many of the luxuries in life. A credit card is essential for any type of travel and it is hard to travel without one. I knew how to use my prepaid so there was no issue for me. I figured out how much I was going to need and loaded it plus the cost of the load fees that exact amount right before I used it. I did not carry a balance from one month to another to avoid paying the fees associated with it. I believe that if people would stop and think, as well as understand what they are doing BEFORE they start using a service.