Deer Lake man’s birthday complemented by fire department

Paul
Paul Hutchings

The Deer Lake Fire Department gave Geoffrey Coish, left, a birthday present to remember when they picked him up Thursday afternoon in a fire truck. Coish suffers from mental and physical complications and fire chief John Dinney said they wanted to do something special for him.

DEER LAKE  For most people, seeing a fire truck at their doorstep usually means trouble.

But for a Deer Lake resident with special needs, a visit from one of the fire department’s tankers meant a dream come true.

Geoffrey Coish suffers from mental and physical conditions, including psoriasis of the kidneys. He has loved anything to do with fire departments his whole life, he said, and Thursday’s visit is something he’ll remember for the rest of his life.

Especially since it was his birthday.

Department members, including chief John Dinney, drove the tanker to his High Street home and took him on a 15-minute drive, allowing him to operate the lights and sirens and letting him ask any questions he wanted about the life of a firefighter.

“They let me operate the breaker,” said Coish, referring to the CB radio in the cab of the truck.

“I really liked doing this. I’m glad they came and gave me a ride.”

He said he learned that people shouldn’t make prank calls to the fire department, and that the members are there to help everyone. His ride took him up through Nicholsville Road and onto Route 430, then back into Deer Lake and onto his street.

Dinney said the department heard about Coish about a month ago and how much he loved the fire trucks, and wanted to do something special for him.

“We just wanted to do something special for him, and it was good seeing how happy it made him,” said Dinney.

The fire chief added that it was done at a time when the department wasn’t busy and if a call had come in, it would have taken an obvious priority.

Coish said he would have liked to have been a firefighter if he were able.

Geographic location: Deer Lake, High Street, Nicholsville Road

Comments

Comments

• Linda Granter Green
    September 08, 2013 - 08:09

I had a cousin who lived on 2nd Ave in Deer Lake who suffered from mental disabilities. This story reminded me of her immediately. She passed a few years ago, but she was the sweetest loving lady that ever lived. A large bouquet is being sent to you Deer Lake Fire Department for making that young man's birthday so special. He will remember it always. God Bless You All . Our world needs more positive news stories like this rather than all the negativism we read.

• Linda Granter Green
    September 08, 2013 - 08:07

• Linda Granter Green
    September 08, 2013 - 08:05

• Jim and Shirley Eastman
    September 07, 2013 - 21:09

Thank you for making Geoffrey birthday extra special.

• DarkAngel
    September 06, 2013 - 17:38

I'm very proud to say I am originally from Deer Lake also. I too know Mr. Dinny as he knows my family well. Glad to see them doing things for the people there. Wish I could be there right now. Keep up the great work!!

• offdarock
    September 06, 2013 - 14:10

proud to say I'm from Deer Lake originally. I remember the volunteer fire department saving many homes and doing charitable acts my whole life growing up. Mr Dinny was one of the many I remember and he is still going strong. This young man who was the recipient of your kindness and respect on his birthday will remember that day forever, keep up the excellent work, you do all Newfoundlanders proud, as does the rest of your volunteer team. Wow, that's all I have left.

• wicked good very nice
    September 06, 2013 - 07:40

way to go; DL fire dept and mr. dinney; great story; best of health luck to you also Mr. Coish.....