'Republic of Doyle' could have array of guests in Season 3

Tara
Tara Bradbury

Allan Hawco stars as Jake Doyle on CBC TV's

It's Tuesday, Day 1 of filming the third season of "Republic of Doyle," and it's like no one ever left the set.

Crew members are hurrying around with equipment, cameras are poised to roll, and the set itself, in a sound stage in Torbay - ready to shoot scenes in the Doyle home, Duke of Duckworth pub, and hospital and motel rooms - has been made up to look as precisely realistic as possible, down to Rose's Chatelaine magazines and nail files on the living room coffee table and a half a sandwich in the glass-doored fridge.

One person, however, admits to struggling a little to get into the spirit until the very last minute.

"Am I Jake Doyle? No, definitely not," said Allan Hawco, co-creator, co-producer and co-writer of the show, who also plays the womanizing, but otherwise good-hearted lead character.

"Until yesterday, I had longer hair and shaved. I wasn't sure I was even going to be able to pull him out again until the cameras started rolling and I started, and I was like, 'Oh, there he is.'"

Although it was an instant hit when it first began airing on CBC TV in January 2010, "Doyle" has grown over the past two seasons.

While it's retaining its trademark hokiness - "It's cops and robbers, there's got to be some silliness," Hawco explained - characters and scenes have become more complex, due mostly to a change in members of the show's writing team. Changes were made during Season 1, and more changes came last season, Hawco said.

"There are writers I would love to work with again on other projects, but I think what we have now is a really strong writing team," he said.

The show, which Hawco estimates has already triggered and spent more than $60 million in this province, is broadcast in at least a dozen countries, available on DVD and Netflix. As a result of its success, it's drawing international viewers and the attention of some high-profile actors, both in this province and Hollywood.

Local native Shannon Tweed will make a cameo as a villain with a connection to Linda Boyd's character, Rose, this season, filming next week, when she's in the province with husband Gene Simmons for the KISS concert in Grand Falls. There have also been rumours about "Gladiator" and "A Beautiful Mind" star Russell Crowe making an appearance, although Hawco wouldn't confirm it.

He did confirm Great Big Sea frontman Doyle - who had a role as a penitentiary inmate in an episode last season - will be back on the show this season, alongside guest actors Scott Grimes and Kevin Durand.

Crowe will be in town at the beginning of August to do two music concerts at the LSPU Hall with Doyle and other guests, including Grimes and Durand. Doyle, Grimes and Durand played merry men to Crowe's Robin Hood in last year's Ridley Scott film of the same name.

"I would love to have Russell Crowe on the show; it would be an honour," Hawco replied coyly when asked if he was in talks with Crowe to also guest star.

Comedian Mark Critch will also be back on the show, reprising his role of taxi driver Ned Bishop.

"If I get in a taxi in St. John's, a lot of times the driver will look in the rearview mirror and say, 'Oh, yeah. You should be driving me,'" Critch said. "I love cabbies. I tried to represent the taxi drivers of this fair city well."

Critch admits he's probably not the most likely choice to play a taxi driver - he doesn't have his driver's licence.

"I go, 'I'm getting out of here!' and then some other guy pops in and drives away," he said with a laugh. "I just never felt like I wanted my licence. I don't need to go anywhere that far, I guess."

As for hints about the storyline from this season, Hawco wasn't giving too much away.

Police officer Leslie Bennett (played by Krystin Pellerin), who was fired at the end of last season, is back, "maybe as a cop, maybe not," he said.

"Jake's actions in the last season have some effects on someone he cares a lot about, and he feels the repercussions of that," Hawco said.

tbradbury@thetelegram.com www.twitter.com/tara_bradbury

Organizations: CBC, Great Big Sea

Geographic location: Torbay, Hollywood, Grand Falls St. John's

Comments

Comments

• Tara Bradbury, Telegram reporter
    October 17, 2011 - 15:28

Season 3 of "Republic of Doyle" will air on CBC in January.

• joan cort
    October 17, 2011 - 15:24

PLEASE WHEN IS REPUBLIC OF DOYLE STARTING UP AGAIN ?LOVE THE SHOW AND MISS IT.

• Lenore Spurn
    October 14, 2011 - 13:43

When is it going to be on tv? We have been waiting and hoping, there are not that many decent shows to watch anymore(guess my age) ha ha

• Lucy
    October 11, 2011 - 21:15

Wonderful show! We all need a good laugh on those long winter nights. Believe me - if you believe this is a waste of tax payer's dollars than I don't! If you want to see tax payer's dollars wasted, then you should work or should have worked with our Provincial government politicians and employees!! I firmly believe Alan Hawco and his team bring a lot of good pr to our province. Keep up the great work Mr Hawco and a wonderful third season!

• Elsie Appleton
    October 05, 2011 - 22:31

PLEASE!!! When does the show start again???????????????????

• Sweet on Jake
    July 11, 2011 - 10:17

Well if you want to talk about govenrment wasting money a lot more money is spent on a lot less. At least this show puts local people to work, showcases how beautiful this city is, and gives a us something to look forward to (to watch) during our long horrible winters! The show is entertainment, and I would rather watch a half hour of fun then the hours of reality crap tv that most of the other networks are offering!!! Republic of Doyle is something to be proud of and I thank Mr Hawco for putting together a great show. PS the fact that he is a hunk helps alot too!!!

• Karen Maher
      October 04, 2011 - 00:45

I live in Ontario, but was born and raised in St. John's. The first time i watched Repulic of Doyle, I remember being so proud of the show and of Allen Hawco. Allen went to school with my nephew so i knew him as a child. To be able to see the accomplishments of this young man and the pride that he gives to us NEWFIES living a long way from home is very commendable. Whenever I watch I always get home sick. The shots of the harbour and southside hills are amazing. I also enjoy hearing the occasional newfie slang. i.e {sleeven}. To sum things up, Keep up the great work. Can't wait for the new season to begin! ! ! ! !

• Elizabeth
    July 11, 2011 - 09:19

Looking forward to another season of Rof D.Can't wait to see the show!!!

• gary attenborrow
      September 19, 2011 - 06:26

totally enjoy the show and its characters, keep up the good work

• ToriSue
    July 10, 2011 - 15:44

Love this show. Living over seas it is a good chance to get a little bit of home without putting on a jigs dinner.

• Big Fan
    July 07, 2011 - 13:30

Scooby doo ? ...hmm ...I think the producers & cast might be a notch above the cartoons. There are many kinds of art ...some publically funded/some not...some intended to make a profit (not a bad word) / some not ...or don't care to; some art costs a lot to produce/ some wonderful art doesn't. Government doesn't say what art is ...thats up to the artist. However, if its publically funded art, someone has to allocate the $, and that should be those responsible for public funds. Everyone will never always agree with the allocation.

• Sharon Hopkins
    July 07, 2011 - 12:54

I'm coming to St.John's July 27th for the GBS on July 28th from Owen Sound On, and I also love the Republic of Doyle.... I'm hoping to catch a glimpse of "Jake" Your doing a fantastic job... and every Newfoundlander should be so proud... I know I are.... Do tell when does Season 3 begin? can hardly wait....

• Big Fan
    July 07, 2011 - 11:07

Dear Citizen ...you should be aware that R of D returns 10 times more money to the NL economy than it receives from taxpayers in public funding. This is called a great investment...its a winner financially and artistically ...keep up the good work ! Maybe they could offer you a role as the village slo person.

• Little Fan
      July 07, 2011 - 12:37

It's not exactly a winner artistically. It's a little like Scooby Doo with people in it. I do feel though that it was overfunded by the government. When you take into consideration the government invested 3 mil over two years for this, and 150000 for the Newfoundland and Labrador Arts Council. The government is saying real art needs to turn a profit. It puts politicians in the position to determine what "Art" is. I think it's wrong. I don't think art should be funded because it can turn a profit. I think art should be funded because it is art. The friggin' thing is never going to turn a profit... it's not supposed to. It's supposed to make you think. How much thinking does Doyle make you do... really?

• citizen
    July 07, 2011 - 09:27

another year of this crap?.. oh yeah, they got to spend that new found win fall, compliments of suckers called NFLD tax payers... .. and to think, i spent years and much dollars in school, trying to learn a profession and pay taxes only to see it handed over to these great pretenders in this wasteful industry that foolish people love to gush over.. i used to think NFLD'ers had more sense....

• Evilcritter
      July 07, 2011 - 09:59

Wow, gripe much? You do realize the cast and crew also studied for years and pay taxes? If you don't like the show, don't watch it. It gets support from the province because it brings money in. It has done wonders for tourism and is a source of pride for Newfoundlanders living away.