Family pet viciously attacked by neighbour's dogs

Deana Stokes Sullivan

Sandy, a terrier-poodle crossbreed and beloved family pet in St. Lawrence, will turn 14 next month.

That's if he's strong enough to survive a vicious attack by two dogs Thursday night in his own backyard.

"He will be 14 years," Jaime Edwards said Monday, and then paused to correct herself, not wanting to consider the alternative. "Well, he's going to be 14 years April 1," she said. "Dying, for him, is not an option, I don't think."

Edwards' family got Sandy from a friend when he was a puppy. Edwards now lives in Paradise, but said any time she phones her parents, she asks how everyone is and, of course, Sandy, who is as much a family member as anyone. He's been at every wedding and family event and is in all the photos, she said.

Sandy, a 14-year-old terrier/poodle crossbreed, was viciously attacked by two large dogs in his backyard in St. Lawrence Thursday night. His wounds required more than 120 stitches and four tubes inserted in his stomach. He will also need further surgery.

Edwards said Thursday around 11:20 p.m., her father tied Sandy on a long leash outdoors to pee and watched him go down over the steps into the backyard. As he turned to put the kettle on, she said he heard vicious cries and within 30 seconds was out in the backyard.

But in that short space of time, Edwards said two large dogs owned by a neighbour had the small 20-pound dog on his back, one biting his neck and the other biting his stomach. "Dad kicked one of the dogs," she said, but it didn't budge.

Edwards said her father continued his attempts to fend off the dogs, but they continued their attack until Sandy stopped crying and was lifeless.

Her father pulled on Sandy's leash and collar until he was able to grab him in his arms and run to the house. Edwards said at this point he feared Sandy was dead.

"The dog was bleeding everywhere," she said. He had a hole in the back of his neck, was bitten and ripped from his collar down his chest and pieces of his stomach were hanging out.

Edwards said her parents called a local veterinarian, who has been Sandy's doctor since he was a pup. They wanted to give him a chance to live, she said, despite his age.

The vet met them at his clinic, which is about a 45-minute drive from the Edwards' home. The wounds required 127 stitches, Edwards said. Sandy had to be sedated and undergo emergency surgery and now has four tubes inserted into his stomach that are constantly draining.

Edwards went to St. Lawrence on the weekend to see him and despite seeing photos beforehand, she said she wasn't prepared for what she saw at her parent's home.

"He looks like he's been put through a meat cutter. Nothing prepared me for it. I looked at him and got so sick, I had to run to the bathroom," Edwards said.

She said Sandy needs more surgery Friday to remove the tubes and will have to be sedated again the following week to have his stitches removed.

As of Monday, the vet bill was $789.18, Edwards said, pointing out that it would have been another $1,000, but the vet felt so bad for her family and Sandy's situation, he reduced the bill.

Edwards said her family has contacted the RCMP and are planning to take legal action.

St. Lawrence Mayor Wayde Rowsell said Monday he can understand why the family is upset.

"I can empathize with them, and I'll tell you, I'd be more than upset myself," he said.

Rowsell said the town doesn't have an animal control officer simply because it can't afford one.

It's a challenge to provide other basic services, he said, considering municipal operating grants have been reduced about 70 per cent over the past 20 years.

A few years ago, Rowsell said the town designated an employee to work part-time as an animal control officer, but in recent years it hasn't been able to do that. However, he said, the town does forward animal control complaints to the RCMP.

In the meantime, the mayor said, "We expect pet owners to be responsible for their animals and adhere to all aspects of the law."

He said recent issues of animal neglect and abuse in the province have led to people calling for improved provincial legislation, which is something he would support.

"I'd really support the provincial government in bringing in new legislation to address all of this," Rowsell said.

dss@thetelegram.com

Organizations: RCMP

Geographic location: Paradise

Comments

Comments

• love4animals
    July 02, 2010 - 13:35

6 dogs tied on in their backyard, barking day and night, never shown love or affection, barely fed enough....2 get loose and attack poor Sandy, hard of hearing, getting older, tied on, no chance to fight them off.

Sandy 's family loves and adores him, he will get the best care available...and God willing make a full recovery.

The 2 loose dogs...the owners deny they even own them! Denial is after all what apparantly works for them as history shows.

All 6 dogs still tied on, no love, no interaction other than being told to shut the **** up. Kicked to the side, chained 24/7 their entire lives. Barely enough to eat, barking constantly.

If the 2 that attacked Sandy are put down because the RCMP make them, they might be the lucky ones, put out of a life of misery they've had to endure so far and continue to endure.

• Rusty
    July 02, 2010 - 13:35

CBS Girl, we have a municipal enforcement officer in CBS as well as animal control. If the dogs on your cul de sac are such a nuisance call the town and voice your concerns. You would be suprised at what can be done.

• David
    July 02, 2010 - 13:34

Anyone who owns one of these will now comment what an idiot I am for writing that.

Blame the owners, blame the victims, blame the weather.....but its nearly always the exact same breeds.

• Leslie
    July 02, 2010 - 13:34

Jamie & Family.....
    I am praying that Sandy makes a full recovery.... Obviously it is not just in the far north that we have problems with stray and loose dogs roaming, who I may say are not all friendly and approachable......This is just an absoloutely horrible thing for any pet owner to go through....The owners of the vicious dogs should be held accountable for the costs of the vet bills and of course proceed with putting down their animals...that is the right thing to do.
    Next time the situation could be much worse and it could be a child's life in jeapordy.......

• Deb
    July 02, 2010 - 13:34

I have two dogs a Black Lab that is so sweet and then there is my Jack russell witch is a case all by herself ,But understanding each one of my dogs and spending alot of time with them you learn what they are all about and my black lab can go anywhere but my jack russell is a small dog 10 bls i can`t let her out of sight cause she don`t like other dogs so as me being the owner makes sure she is always watched and never out alone even in my own back yard that is fenced , if you own a dog you should look after your pet and you should know what your pet is all about .I feel for this family and the other dogs owner should pay for the vet bills and if they can`t watch over there pets they shouldn`t have any !

• Isdaby
    July 02, 2010 - 13:34

Douglas from NL you are COMPLETELY WRONG. 100% wrong. Certain breeds have a disposition for certain things. Humans have spent thousands of years breeding them these different ways. Setters only want to find birds. Beagles want to find rabbits. Sheppards want to herd family or flock together and protect them. These are but a few of the simplest examples. There are mulitudes more. I'm sorry, if you don't know this you have not one iota of a clue about different breeds of dogs.

• Friendly Newfoundlander
    July 02, 2010 - 13:33

My heart breaks for Sandy. I hope that you continue to heal and live out the rest of your days healthy and happy.

I would like to respond to C from Alberta. I also own a big dog (well he is still a puppy but is over 50lbs already). So I am believer that a dog's behaviours are not based on their size. I watch the 'dog whisper' almost daily. The dog whisper often says that it is not the dog, but rather the owner who needs to relearn how to do things and become a better pack leader. In this case these dogs did not attack Sandy but rather attempted to EAT HIM ALIVE. I don't believe that a dog(s) who is exercised, feed properly and properly cared for would eat another dog alive. I hope that you do more that just accept the fact that dogs don't get along with other dogs. My suggestion would be trying doggie daycare or taking your dog to a dog park where there are well adjusted dogs to assist in socializating your dog.

I hope that out of the darkness of this situation, new laws can be developed regarding dog laws in newfoundland. Yes, this could have been a wild animal attack, but the reality is, it wasn't. We can create savages if we don't properly care for and socialize our dogs. Dog owner need to be responsible for caring for their dogs and if you can't do that than maybe you should not be a dog owner. Newfoundlanders are known as friendly, welcoming and would do anything to help others. Lets stand up and say that dog attacks like this are not ok, especially in a place like Newfoundland. Lets help each other raise healthy, well balanced dogs at add to our society.

• Animal Lover
    July 02, 2010 - 13:33

David . . . sorry . . . to blame any particular breed is wrong. The smallest of dogs can be savage if it's not trained properly, and the biggest of the big can be the gentlest, as well. Working in animal health care, I've seen my share of huge breeds that are brought in torn up, only to have the owners tell us that it rolled over in submission to a smaller dog(s) and they turned on it. Any dog can do damage. It's such ignorance that feeds fear. The owners of the two dogs should be held responsible and perhaps need to surrender their dogs . . . either to a properly fenced home with training or, if a vet deems them too agressive for retraining, euthanized. Fisherman, you're just totally out of line. Hope you never own a dog or children - a fine example you make. Good luck to the family and Sandy and all with animals should consider fencing if not their whole garden, a section for their dogs (not only to keep others out, but to keep yours in safely).

• c
    July 02, 2010 - 13:32

This is so surreal! The same exact situation happened to my dog just 3 years ago! what a shock to realize that our pet was not even safe on our own property.... in turn a large vet bill and 1 year after the attack, our dog passed away! my question is who's jurisdiction is it.... that dog who attacked is still alive and there was nothing said or done by anyone, including the town, spca, city pound, and even the RNC..... I agree that there has to be legislation for this matter and there should be disipline taken on the owners who so carelessly leave there pets to attack others... i'm very saddened by this story, and I know exactly how this family must feel.

• Sounding
    July 02, 2010 - 13:31

Not surprised we don't have more of this given the amount of louts showing off trophy (guard) dogs just for the sake of showing them off and not caring for them. These are the types that allow their dogs to roam around parks and alleyways to do their thing only waiting for an scene to develop. All NL municipalities do what Calgary does. ALL dog owners MUST get attack insurance. Then well see some responsibility. Maybe.

• Real Fisherman
    July 02, 2010 - 13:31

Fisherman....I am willing to bet you are not a fisherman.....rather a dirt bag tarnishing the good reputation of honest fisherman.
    Identify who you really are you coward.

Hope your puppy makes out OK!

• Jaime
    July 02, 2010 - 13:31

Thank you everyone for your comments. Sandy is a fighter, doggie heaven is not ready for him yet.

Fisherman- your comment not only make me sick but i also feel bad for you. If you think about it this way, if it wasnt our dog it could have been someone child. If it took my dad kicking the dogs get them away what chance would a child have to fight these animal off.

We will keep everyone updated on sandy recovery. thanks again

• BI
    July 02, 2010 - 13:31

I know how I would feel if someone's dogs got in and chewed up my two shih tzus. I hope the Edwards will press charges to the fullest extent of the law. If they did this to a little dog, imagine what they would do to a person.

• BONNIE
    July 02, 2010 - 13:30

THIS IS FOR DAVID,
    U HAVE NO IDEA WHAT U ARE TALKING ABOUT , THERE ARE NO BAD DOGS, JUST BAD OWNERS, FOR GOD SAKE , DON'T BE SO STUPID, WHEN I HEAR THESE THINGS, IT MAKES ME CRINGE, I CANNOT BELIEVE THERE R SUCH STUPID PEOPLE IN THIS WORLD.

• Douglas
    July 02, 2010 - 13:28

To David from NL, here it is... youre an idiot.
    It is not the breed, but the owners.
    I own 3 different breeds and they are ignorantly thought of a agressive breds. They are not. It is because of their training and how they are treated.
    It is the OWNERS responsibility and blame, not the dogs.
    Your comment is the same as me saying that all minorities are criminals. But we know that is not the case.
    Your own ignorance is the problem and idiot PET owners. You will also see that staticists show the majority of attacks are from more common breeds.

• Andrea
    July 02, 2010 - 13:28

Fisherman, you heartless idiot!

• CBS Girl
    July 02, 2010 - 13:27

First, let me say I hope Sandy makes it. To live 14 years only to be torn apart by someone elses responsibilty sickens me.
    Second, go after those dog owners like there is no tomorrow.
    I live in Conception Bay South on a very quiet cul-de-sac, I have a 5 year child whom I'm afraid to let out in the backyard by herself because of dogs.
    A few months back, a family moved into a rental property on the street next to ours, needless to say, its been a pleasure (not) they have 2 dogs, 1 tied on most of the time, but the other roams. I'm scared of these dogs, the one that's tied on strains to get of the leash when you walk by. He sometimes breaks the leash. I usually carry something that I could defend myself and my child if he should ever get off. Should we be made to live in fear in our own backyards?

• Tracy
    July 02, 2010 - 13:26

This incident really tugs at my heart. I have a small dog, and walk her regularly. While out for walks, we have been approached by roaming dogs several times and I have had to shoe them away from my dog, or pick my dog up in my arms (which is also a danger to me, as strange roaming animals are not to be trusted) What really turns my stomach, is that the 2 dogs that attacked Sandy, are probably going to be put down due to the fact that some irresponsible person neglected their care. There is way too much of this kind of animal neglect going on.. If someone takes on a pet, you MUST take care of it!!!!
    I hope that Sandy has a comfortable recovery... and all the best,,, I can only imagine how you feel, because I too, put my dog on a leash outside my back yard to do her business, and shiver to think if that ever was to happen....

FISHERMAN ... that you definitely can't call yourself! My dad is a fisherman, and the most caring and compassionate man... as for you, you don't even deserve the label as a MAN, non-the-less a FISHERMAN... to comment such idiotic remarks...

• Elaine
    July 02, 2010 - 13:26

I wish Sandy a speedy recovery and I know that his owners must be devastated over what happened. The blame needs to be placed on these idiot owners who had those two dogs roaming loose. I can only imagine that these animals have no kind of life with any love and attention given to them. Why bother to have an animal if you're not going to be responsible for it? I hope that these ignorant people have the book thrown at them. Fines isn't the right way to deter these kinds of neglectful people, but jail time may make them think twice. Lots of doggie prayers for Sandy and his owners!

• Jackie
    July 02, 2010 - 13:26

My heart is broken

• Jackie
    July 02, 2010 - 13:26

As a pet owner (and generally an animal lover) I can say that I would be pushing to have those two dogs euthanized immediately. I have a small dog like Sandy and I know he wouldn't stand a chance against 1 large dog, let alone 2. People should be held responsible in these situations for what their pets do. If you let a dog run free and it injures someone, it was YOUR responsibility to be watching that dog in the first place, and you failed to take precautions.

I am saying a little prayer for Sandy here today! Hoping that he recovers soon!!!

• Pardise Joe
    July 02, 2010 - 13:26

Owners fault no exceptions. Some of these comments are from total wank@#s.
    If a leash breaks, its owners owners fault and responsibility to ensure that this doesn't happen. It can however happen and if so what ever the dog gets into is still the owners responsibility, that simple!!!! If a dog or dogs are that savage they should be put down as far as I am concerned. So help me god if that every happens to my dog, the last thing they owners of a savage dog will have to worry about is paying the bill!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hope sandy pulls through!!!

• Trish
    July 02, 2010 - 13:25

I agree with Douglas, it's not the dogs who are at fault. It drives me crazy to see people say it's the dogs fault, no, it's the owner who either didn't know how to handle a particular breed or give it proper training. I feel so sad for Sandy, I hope he recovers and doesn't suffer to much. The owners of those dogs should be made to pay any vet bills and be charged with letting their dogs roam like that.

• Isaac
    July 02, 2010 - 13:25

Douglas from NL the point I should clarify is that some dogs ARE born and BRED to FIGHT and KILL. Wake up man, wake up. Educate yourself.

• c
    July 02, 2010 - 13:25

My heart breaks for Sandy. But folks in all reality not all dogs get along! I have a Golden Retriever and these small dogs that get attacked are sometimes the problem! My dog loves all dogs but let me tell you....my big 70lb dog has been attacked by these small dogs. Almost everytime we meet a small dog it attacks my Golden! No other dog attacks him and he loves playing with dogs all shapes and sizes! He is very gentle but lately has been hesitant walking upon small dogs. If they are polite to him the play well. So if my dog got off leash and had a run in with one of these small dogs, I am not too sure what would happen but my dog would get the trouble for it cuz he is the bigger dog. I've learn to accept the fact that not all dogs get along and this stuff happens. But my dog has been bitten by a small dog more then once.

• Sue
    July 02, 2010 - 13:24

I am the owner of the dog that was attacked by the 2 Pitt Bulls while walking around Quida Vida Lake. My dog made a full physical recovery but is very wary of all dogs now. She was blind in one eye at the time which made it all the harder for her.
    I hope your dog makes a full recovery. The RNC pressed charges in my case and he had to pay the vet bills but only a small fine for not having his dogs on leashes.
    The laws have to be changed to protect our family pets. I do feel bad for the other family as well. I think they probably feel terrible that their dogs could have done something like this.
    Speedy recovery Sandy!!

• shamefull
    July 02, 2010 - 13:24

I hope the pet 'Sandy' makes a full recovery.

The owners of the two dogs which attacked the smaller one should pay all vet bills.

The remark by poster named fisherman is a typical redneck opinion, many people care about their pets much to this persons chagrin.

One word of advice to the owners of Sandy, if you don't have a fence around your property, you may now want to consider it especially with neighbours like that.

• D
    July 02, 2010 - 13:24

I wholeheartedly agree with DeeGee. For someone who has been dealt such a low blow by the fisheries, you show very little compassion. Just remember, What goes around, comes around

I pity you.

• AR
    July 02, 2010 - 13:23

What municipality doesn't have a problem with animals and their inconsiderate owners ? Some areas in Mount Pearl have as many dogs and cats as there are residents. The City also has Animal Control but that doesn't stop the cats from roaming around all day and night, destroying peoples' flower beds. You can set your clock by the barking of dogs in the morning but many inconsiderate owners also leave their dogs outside to bark non-stop during the day, knowing full well that nothing can be done about it and the attitude is ' to hell with the neighbours'. There are areas in Mount Pearl where this is not a problem and one seldom sees a cat or hears a dog barking. Many of the areas just happen to be much more upscale. Hmmm.

• Heather
    July 02, 2010 - 13:23

All the best to Sandy and his family; he will be in my prayers.

• Jason
    July 02, 2010 - 13:23

Wow 62 comments and the only person that seems to get dogs is Katie from NL.
    First of all these dogs are not to blame for this unfortunate incident. Most likely the attack was the result of prey drive and the fact they were acting as a pack. Larger dogs will view smaller dogs similar to prey in alot of cases. I have a very well trained hunting dog that is wonderfull with people and kids, but not so great with small animals.

David from NL writes: Here are the 5 breeds that cause 95% of all the trouble....German shepherds, pit bulls, bull mastiffs, rottweilers, dobermans.

This is 100% false, Here is some information on dog breeds to watch out for a there are just as many small breeds.

Here's a look at the various dog breeds that are considered potentially aggressive.

Chow Chows are one-person dogs that tend to bite without any warning. They are also a bit ferocious around strangers, and can be quite a tenacious fighter. So make sure to discipline this dog and set right from wrong, immediately.
    The Papillon is fiercely loyal of their owners - to a fault. They can be quite possessive and standoffish to strangers.
    Old English Sheepdogs are very protective of their owners so they might be aggressive if anybody tends to be too close to its owners.
    A Llasa Apso often gets cranky around kids.
    Rottweilers are extremely protective of their masters.
    Chihuahuas aren't too fond of kids. They'd rather be with adults than play around with tots.
    Toy Poodles bite people and other animals out of self defense. Unfortunately, 'playing' according to you may be perceived as a form of 'attack' to them.
    Dachshunds aren't known for their patience.
    Jack Russell Terriers are feisty creatures who require early training to prevent long-term biting and digging problems.
    Giant Schnauzers are very dominant. They often challenge adults, particularly strangers.
    Cocker Spaniels often suffer from a dangerous genetic disease known as rage syndrome. This syndrome causes spontaneous violent action against not strangers, but actual family members. Many Spaniels have been put down because of this unwanted behavior. Check with the breeder to ensure your Spaniel is free from this dangerous dog disease.
    The Pekingese isn't all that tolerant of strangers.
    Miniature Pinschers usually have aggression issues because they've got this big dog-little body mind set going on.
    Here's a rundown of breeds that are typically gentle but can't shake off their bad dog image.

Boxers are pretty good with kids. They are good watchdogs, but will only become aggressive
    Bulldogs are very playful and gentle.
    Great Danes, while considerable in size, happen to be kind and affectionate.
    Mastiffs are especially quiet and docile.
    German Shepherds are great with kids too. These are courageous, fiercely loyal dogs who, if trained properly, will be extremely gentle to family and guests.
    Rottweilers are also capable of tenderness and affection. They have a bad rep, but if they trust you, you'll never have to worry

Lastly with regards to worrying about stray dogs attacking your tied on pets and children, there is a far greater danger that we will see more and more of Im sure over the next few year....Coyote's..

They will steal your little dog from its lease and eat your cat thats roaming the street. There havnt been any reports yet in st john's but just outside of city limits there are more and more coyote sign and its only a matter of time before they realize all these easy meals.

• Rusty
    July 02, 2010 - 13:23

Guys, don't feed the trolls like fisherman. They only comment on these stories to get a rise out of you. Responding to them is just what they want.

• Judy
    July 02, 2010 - 13:22

This is terrible....I wish Sandy a speedy recovery.....The neighours should be held responsible and pay every cent and more for the vet bill.

• BONNIE
    July 02, 2010 - 13:22

I HOPE SANDY WILL BE OK, AS A PET OWNER, ITS OUR RESPONSIBILITY TO TAKE CARE AND BE RESPONSIBLE FOR OUR PETS.\\
    BUT NOT ALL PET OWNERS SHOULD HAVE PETS.\
    IF YOU TREAT A DOG LIKE A DOG, THAN YOU SHOULD NOT HAVE A DOG, THEY ARE PART OF THE FAMILY AND WHEN A MEMBER OF THE FAMILY GETS ATTACTED BY SOMEONE OR SOMETHING, THAN SOMETHING SHOULD BE DONE ABOUT IT. THE TOWN SHOULD HAVE ANIMAL CONTROL, , WHAT KIND OF A TOWN is IT?

• Linda
    July 02, 2010 - 13:22

I'd like to know WHERE you got these statistics..........and I am not a pet owner. Just interested.

• doglover
    July 02, 2010 - 13:20

Fisherman, you're not worth a comment...in fact, you're not worth much. You're knowledge is ignorant, sorry I stand corrected...you have no knowledge. Enough about you!

I hope Sandy has a speedy recovery and I agree that the owners of these dogs that attacked her should be totally responsible for any and all medical treatment that Sandy receives. It's the dogs fault for these attacks. The onus is on the owners of these dogs. Regardless, If they are aggressive or not, they should be put on a leash or tied on. This easily could have been a child or someone else walking that could have been attacked. However, these dogs were probably tied on and had gotten away, in any case, it's the owners responsibility and they should be held accountable 100%!!!!!

• Makalah
    July 02, 2010 - 13:20

I hope Sandy feels better real soon and the people who's dog did this should be made to pay ALL the vet bills, and of course this dog should be put down so it won't have the chance to bit again, next time it could be a small child - that savage got to go!!~

• Frank
    July 02, 2010 - 13:20

C from Alberta....have you thought of enrolling your big 70 lb. golden in self defence classes? I know a dog that went through the same thing your dog is going through and it's owner equipped it with a can of mace....kept all those little dogs away. It really works!

• MommyGummi
    July 02, 2010 - 13:20

This story brought tears to my eyes while reading it. I hope Sandy has a speedy recovery.
    I think the owners need to pay the vet bills, and the dogs need to be destroyed. If they did this to a 20 pound dog, I shutter to think what they would do to a 20 pound child.

Fisherman...you are a heartless b**t**d. You obviously don't have anything you hold dear to your heart...or maybe you are the owner of the 2 dogs that attacked Sandy!!!

• Hilary
    July 02, 2010 - 13:20

Ive known Sandy and the Edwards Family since i was 11 years old. I stayed to there house and was very fond of their dog and their family, because they treated me like was apart of it. When i heard about Sandy all i could think of was the beautiful little dog who would meet me at the door when id come in. It breaks my heart to look at him this way, when he would never harm another living thing. As to the owners of this dog, you should be ashamed of yourselves. When you train a dog, no matter if it is to hunt or to be a house dog, you still have to teach them right from wrong. It like having a child. I have two dogs of my own and they would never hurt another person or animal. So i dont blame the dogs in the least, this is the owners of the dogs fault for not showing the dog the proper way to behave. To the Edwards family i feel you have shown great professionalism in how you present your story. I hope the owner of these dogs gets what is comming to them. I havent stopped thinking about Sandy since i heard. My thoughts and prayers are with Sandy .. and i will stop to see him next time im in St.lawrence.

• Pamela
    July 02, 2010 - 13:20

I know the Edwards family personally and I hope to god their little dog Sandy will be okay. It's very irresponsible of the owners to let thier two dog roam free or tie them on outside without ample restraint. This enable them to attack small animals and possibly children. Futhermore, if the dogs were tied on outside, they are twice as likely to attack than a dog that stays in a house. Unfortunately dogs that are tied on a left outside are without love and compassion and begin to form savage habits that lead to things like this.

• Luke
    July 02, 2010 - 13:19

shamefull from nl it's not the owners of 'Sandy' who are responsible for putting up a fence (if they don't already have one, or if it needs repairs). Sandy was already secured by it's owner on it's own property. The owners of the savage dogs are responsible for securing THEIR dogs. That means, not let them out, if they do, do so on a LEASH, put up a FENCE to keep THEIR DOGS IN. See the difference ? The courts do. Sandy's owners, according to this article, were in full compliance of the law before this unforseen tragedy happened.

One more thing people, obey the LEASH LAWS in your town or city when walking your DOGS or CATS, and CLEAN UP after them so people don't have to chase you down the road to tell you to go back and clean it up (I catch offenders on security cams and show them on my iPod streetside how they've been caught redhanded from last week.)

• Katie
    July 02, 2010 - 13:19

I sympathize with the family, but there are clearly a few things about dog behaviour that the majority of the people here don't know.

1. Dog aggression and human aggression are two entirely separate things. A dog who is aggressive towards other dogs is no more likely to attack a human than any other dog. So honestly, to say, Imagine what they'd do to a person, only helps spread negative, false stereotypes.

2. It is entirely correct when people say that it is the owners fault. Dogs become poorly behaved purely as a result of their lack of training at home, and nothing is permanent. Many, many dogs who were once untrustworthy around other dogs have been able to be rehabilitated when in the right hands to become perfectly safe, friendly dogs, so the idea that they must be put to sleep is ridiculous.

3. I get the impression from a lot of these comments that people believe that only small dogs are attacked, and that only large dogs can attack or do harm. Quite honestly, I've seen easily ten times more aggressive small dogs than I ever have large ones. Just because the larger ones can do more damage (which of course is relative, an infant was killed in the US by a 10 lbs Pomeranian), doesn't mean that all large dogs are aggressive, and it doesn't excuse the aggression of many small dogs.

That said, I wholeheartedly agree that the owners of the dogs should be forced to pay the entire medical bill, plus some more for pain and suffering.

• Kelly
    July 02, 2010 - 13:19

this doesn't deserve to happen to a dog. i have a very old cat( 15+ yrs old). and i know she is not the same as a dog but she has become a member of my family. she is my baby and i talk to her and cuddle her every day. if that happened to a member of my family, i would be crush. these pet owners should be held accountable for their actions. if u have a big dog u should muzzle it when its outside or train it properly.

• sandra
    July 02, 2010 - 13:19

to fisherman: PUT YOUR HAND ON YOUR CHEST TO SEE IF YOU HAVE A HEART THAT BEATS - I DON'T THINK SO.......JUST SHOWS YOUR MENTALITY

• Calvin
    July 02, 2010 - 13:19

I wonder if the same outcry would be heard if a dog Sandy's size bit a bigger dog? Probably not, though it should be treated as the exact same situation. It's funny that the people posting here considering themselves animal lovers refer to Sandy as nothing short of an angel, while these other two dogs are savage beasts and monsters. They are still dogs people. I agree, these dogs should be put down because they could do this to a person. And yes, the owners should have to pay for every cent of the vet bill. But sending the owners to jail? Give me a break. We have people breaking into corner stores and homes regularly, a drug problem esalating out of control, and you want to tie up the legal system for pet owners? People with little yappy dogs and cats are quick to point the finger, but think about the fines you are screaming for regarding animal neglect the next time you let your animal defecate on the sidewalk without cleaning it up, or the next time someone has to clean up the garbage left behind when your stray cat destroys a garbage bag on someone's patio.

• NEwfie
    July 02, 2010 - 13:17

To Bonnie,
    St.Lawrence is a great town, and cannot afford to have animal control like what the city does.... there arent enough incidents like this to hire someone full time...
    To JessieAnd buzz
    you have no idea what your talking about...considering you dont live in St.Lawrence you have no idea how the dogs are treated...and neither do anyone else for that matter( unless theres someone watching the house 24 hours a day)...people just assume they know....so until you see it with your own eyes...dont pass judgement... Some of these comments make me sick!.. And no I do not personally know the family...

• Busy Bayman
    July 02, 2010 - 13:17

fisherman, I think you're the one that needs to get a grip and stop acting so tough. I hope Sandy pulls through this. Would be avery very sad way to die after such a wonderful life of 14yrs. At least the vet has half a heart. If it were me and knowing the dog and family all these years and giving the scenario I wouldn't have charged the family anything. What's a few hours of work to help someone out?

• Luke
    July 02, 2010 - 13:17

BI from Paradise imagine what they would do to a person... even less, with people being so much bigger. Those neighbour's dogs should be impounded, the owner's charged and made to pay for the costs and fined as well. People really need to understand that not having your pet secured on their property is considered by Wildlife Officials as something called... Introducing Domestic Animals To The Wild. It is ILLEGAL in any NL town and city to allow your CAT or DOG or PET to go stray like those savage neighbour's dogs were in this article.

• Lainie
    July 02, 2010 - 13:17

David, Bull mastiffs? I've never heard of anything violent with this breed. When I researched endlessly the type of dog to bring in to my home with two small children, this is the exact breed that I came up with. I wanted a large dog that was friendly and docile.
    I had a beautiful 140lb bull mastiff since she was a pup (purchased from a reputable breeder) and my daughters grew up alongside her. She was gentle and sweet and besides her drool, was never a threat to anyone.
    I think the ignorance here is due to bad breeding. You have a bunch of idiots trying to make money and breeding these dogs poorly. Any dog over 10lbs can be a threat if they are from bad breeding or owners who haven't taken responsibility of them.

• viki
    July 02, 2010 - 13:16

I am sitting here now in tears. I can just imagine how this family must feel seeing their dog suffering so. I'm sure Sandy is strong and won't give up easily. 14 years is a long life to have it end in such a terrible way. I'll be thinking about him every day. To the vet who felt for the family and lowered the bill. You are an amazing person. Not many vets would have done the same and for showing such compasion to this family in their time of need you truly touch my heart.
    All the best. I hope to hear an update on Sandy as I'll be thinking about him every day.

• Concerned
    July 02, 2010 - 13:16

Jamie and family.. I pray Sandy fully recovers.... my big concern now however is the children in the area.. there are many small children who play in that same neighbourhood... I hope the dogs that did this will be taken care of appropriately, and the owners as well.

• David
    July 02, 2010 - 13:16

c from Alberta,
    I agree with what you're saying. I have a small dog who's actually quite good-natured to everyone....except large dogs. He gets scared and his reaction is to growl and try to drive off the larger animal. I know other people with small dogs and they say the same thing, so I can see how small dogs sometimes cause trouble for themselves inadvertantly.

That being said, these two large dogs attacked Sandy on her property. Clearly that was the fault of the owner of the two dogs. At the least, that owner should pay a penalty and medical bills.

• Brittany
    July 02, 2010 - 13:15

I'm really glad that someone took the initiative to get this problem out in the open. These dogs have been a problem in our part of the community for years. I am, however, deeply saddened by the fact that poor Sandy had to be brutalized before something could be done.
    Jaime, keep up the fight and let's hope Sandy can do the same.

• Mim
    July 02, 2010 - 13:15

Those two dog HAVE TO DIE...have a speedy recovery Sandy...I have a 6 lb Chihuahua, if any harm every came to her, God help that person or animal!!! The family who owns those savage beasts should have to pay for all the vet bills and lawyers fees and say good bye to your dogs!!!

• Darlene
    July 02, 2010 - 13:14

My thoghts and prayers are going out to Sandy for a full recovery. I would do EVERYTHING in my power to make sure that the dog owner is held resopnsible for the vet bills, and take him/her to court. If my dog attack anyone or another animal, I would be held inaccount for it and so I should.. I hope the government sees that we in Newfoundland and our four legged friends/family members need more laws/money and people to run a better inforcing poilicy. Tougher laws, larger fines and jail time. Maybe they should look at THE ANIMAL PLANET show ANIMAL POTROL THEY MAY GET HOW OTHER PLACES ARE DOING IT AND OPEN THERE EYES. ya never know they might learn something.....

God speed Sandy, love from all my family.xo

• newfie
    July 02, 2010 - 13:14

I agree with what is being said here, and I feel for the Edwards family, But I know those dogs are tied on when out, and they happened to get off their leash...Who would they sue and try to get the vet bills covered by if it had of been a coyote...that could very well happen to, especially where they live... its all unfortunate events, and yes the dogs should be put down...yes it could of been a child and all that jazz.... but I think that all of this is gone to far... and maybe the Edwards family should consider putting up a fence....none of that is seen until its to late and your dog gets mangled.... I hope Sandy gets better, and I would feel the exact same way that the edwards are feeling...but in the end you need to sit back and really look at the situation..instead of automatically pointing your fingers...it was preventable on both ends...as far as Im concerned its equal blame...

• GLO
    July 02, 2010 - 13:13

Wow, 71 comments.

I'm all for animal protection, animal rights and being a responsible pet owner. I have a dog and love her like a child. And yes, these sort of occurances should never occur and it deeply saddened me to hear about this.

However, what also saddened me was to see that readers are much more vocal, passionate and riled up about this dog than either the 85-year old lady who was killed, or the 14 year-old child who is missing.

I think we all need to re-evaluate our priorities if not one of these stories recieved ANY comments, as they did not...

• Isabelle
    July 02, 2010 - 13:13

Best of luck to Sandy and may the family stay strong. Take the neighbors to the full extent of the law and make them pay for their dog's actions. Makes me wonder how hungry were those dogs to take pieces from another dog in that manner. How safe are these dogs around people??

As for the fisherman from NL. your comments are just as nasty as the actions of the dogs.

• Maggie
    July 02, 2010 - 13:13

It makes me so sad to hear about little Sandy. I have a Shih-Tzu, a little older than Sandy and I have to go outside and stay with her every time she needs to go because I am afraid a roaming dog or 2 will attack her. I also take a bat with me because I don't know how big or viscous it will be. I have to drive to a nearby park to take her for walks because our neighborhood has dangerous dogs off leash. These dogs would do some serious harm to a small animal or child. There's at least 2 german shepherds, a rotty and a few mutts running around all the time, not necessarily together but still! I won't even go out after dark unless I'm driving.
    Sending my best wishes for a speedy recovery to Sandy and Kudos to the family for keeping the faith and believing in little Sandy!!

• VJ
    July 02, 2010 - 13:13

My thoughts and prayers are with Sandy. Hope you start coming around real soon. What a HORRIBLE thing to have happen to a family member.

As for you fisherman...you definately don't have a heart. Yes it's a dog, but they are also a member of one's family. They hurt and feel just like humans. And they are man's best friend. They stand beside you and would protect you from harm. I hope the family of Sandy seeks legal action against the owner of those dogs and gets him/her to pay the Edward's vet bill. As a dog owner myself, I would do absolutely anything for my dog. This story is so sad. It broke my heart reading this.

• Ethel
    July 02, 2010 - 13:12

Stories like this continue to upset me. As an animal lover and I would like to think a responsible one it saddens me that vicious animals or any animal is allowed to roam free. Not all people love pets. Animals can be unpredictable and get excited easily.
    Before we had a dog my son was biten by a big dog and there was nothing we could do except to launch a civil suit. Thank god it was a minor bite and could have been a lot worse.
    Stricter laws need to be enforced.
    God bless for a speedy recovery.

• fisherman from nl
    July 02, 2010 - 13:12

boo hoo get a grip ppl life goes on

• Steve Y
    July 02, 2010 - 13:12

I think this is so sad. Those people that ownes the dogs that attacked this poor little dog that was TIED ON should paid every bit of the vet bills. This is just not good enough. This could of been a small child!! The Dept of Justice needs to put stiffer fines in place for dogs on the run like this. Maybe then the people that ownes these dogs will think twice about letting them loose. Some of these people that ownes these dogs don't care for them at all, and the dogs are always off out on the run. Time for the Dept of Justice to put a STOP to this.

• jessieandbuzz
    July 02, 2010 - 13:12

It's sad that this dog was attacked and hopefully make a full recovery, but I don't agree that these dogs should be put down, i don't agree that its the dogs fault on why they attacked a smaller dog. Fact is those dogs should be watched at all times, they should never be tied on outdoors. Like someone said before, there put away out behind, never looked at or never cared for. These dogs should be taken away, as well as the other animals this person or family owns, and properly trained and released to new people(s). I believe that whoever owns these dogs should pay the vet bill and write a letter of apology.

• Dee Gee
    July 02, 2010 - 13:12

To the fisherman . If you're a true fisherman than I guess you're probably one of those fisherman who would take the last fish and than cry because there're are no fish left, than boo hoo to you and get over the down fall of the fishery. You give a bad taste to the name fisherman.On another note Paradise has alot of issues one is roaming dogs and Cats are abig problem . I own a dog who bothers nobody but in the nieghbourhood we have roaming C&D who do their thing in flower beds and gardens. To the owners of Sandy , press charges, but Iguess the owners of those dogs will take the easy way out and put the dogs down.

• John
    July 02, 2010 - 13:12

I can remember reading in The Telegram several years back about a woman who lived in Mundy Pond and had two Dobermans. Neighbours were kicking up a stink and trying to have these dogs removed. They printed that the the breed that was the saucest was a Poodle and the kindest was infact a Doberman. You have to watch out for those little yappy muts.

• c
    July 02, 2010 - 13:12

Actually my dog is ran every single day and he goes to daycare 2x a week. Very well trained. Dog park no so fun because again there are dogs there that just randomly attack! So my dog is not comfortable there. He was always great there up till a few months ago. So I keep away from dog parks.

• Mad
    July 02, 2010 - 13:11

50 bucks says Mommygummi is right. If Fisherman is not the owner of the dogs he is a close family member. If not, they will meet each other in hell anyway. Cowards always get what they deserve in the end. The dogs aren't the blame here, they are doing what animals do when they aren't loved and cared for and are probably starving to death. Justice will be served. What comes around ALWAYS goes around.

God speed for a speedy recovery Sandy!

• rgg
    July 02, 2010 - 13:10

First of all these dogs should not be put down or punished. It was the owner of these dogs that is at fault. Dogs will be dogs, they have a pack mentality, that is all we can do, it is nature. I hope sandy makes a full recovery and the owner of the two dogs willingly pays the vet bills and pays a fine. Now with that said, it very easily could have been a coyote out in the back yard, people should never leave their small animals unattended even for 30 seconds. I know these dogs should have been on their own property, but like I said this same thing can happen with wild animals, who is going to keep them out of your back yard?

• Judy
    July 02, 2010 - 13:10

Fisherman, You must be heartless and a very insensitive person. I hope you don't have any children who witness this
    kind of attitude.

• Bibbie from NL
    July 02, 2010 - 13:10

This is such a sad story. It is horrible what happened to this dog. Your dog isnt safe in its own garden. The owners of this dog are following the rules and by doing so, their dog is prey for other dogs. I dont understand why people dont keep their dogs on a leash. Our family has a small dog that we love very much but when I walk him or he is out by the door, he is always on his leash. We walk him in Bowring Park and there are other dogs with their owners. Some of the dogs are off their leash with their owners coming behind them with the leash in their hand. What good is that? Why do these people think that the signs Dogs have to be on a leash apply to everyone else but not to their dogs? One dog in particular comes running down the path and even jumps up on me. I love dogs but that dont mean I want other dogs jumping up on me. There could be a small child or a senior walking that path and be knocked down by a dog. Just because you love your dog dont mean everyone else loves them or are not fearful of them. My dog loves to run and play but one day, a larger dog picked him up into his mouth and then let him go. He was so scared, I had to sit on a bench and hold him to calm him. Now, when he sees a bigger dog and it gets to close, he goes on the attack first. Please people, have some consideration for other people and their dogs. Its no good being all apologetic after the damage is done.

• Melanie
    July 02, 2010 - 13:09

Well, I personally know the Edwards Family. They live just up the street from me, and I am actually afraid to let my little dog out around for a long period of time, because it is so close.
    there is a lot of things that can happen in that area, that I would NOT want to see happen. there is a lot of small children on that street and god.. I sure would not want to see anyone else hurt.

Its a shame that something is only done when someone or something gets hurt.

As for the Edwards Family, stay strong guys ! I hope Sandy has a speedy recovery, and let's hope something gets done about it ! You guys handled this situation very professionally, and I wish you and Sandy all the best !

• Nicholas
    July 02, 2010 - 13:09

Darlene, this is a DOG, not Danny Williams!!

• tonya
    July 02, 2010 - 13:09

God bless Sandy and her dedicated family.

The owner(s) of the two dogs that attacked Sandy should have to cover all the vet bills. It's as simple as that. Maybe then, they (and other people like them) will learn the importance of keeping their dogs on leashes.

I don't blame the other two dogs. I blame their owner(s).

• Lottee
    July 02, 2010 - 13:08

I have rad the comments...and i too agree...the owners of the savage dogs should be held accountable....
    If a child breaks a window accidentally....the parents own up...same applies..
    I would only hope that the owners...would have these animals put down...they are a danger....that could have been a CHILD...Imagine that!!!
    The owners should be responsible for all financials incurred by the family..

I have dogs of my own...one of which is a pit bull mix...I know the laws...and yes any dog that poses a threat...or the possibility of a threat should be muzzled leashed etc... The owners of these dogs...obviously didn't give a hoot...Now its time to PAY for the HOOT you didn't have..

Edwards family.....my heart goes out to you..stay strong....

• BONNIE

• c
    July 01, 2010 - 20:21

• Sounding
    July 01, 2010 - 20:20

• Real Fisherman
    July 01, 2010 - 20:20

Identify who you really are you coward.

Hope your puppy makes out OK!

• Jaime
    July 01, 2010 - 20:19

We will keep everyone updated on sandy recovery. thanks again

• BI
    July 01, 2010 - 20:19

• BONNIE
    July 01, 2010 - 20:19

THIS IS FOR DAVID,

• Douglas
    July 01, 2010 - 20:16

To David from NL, here it is... youre an idiot.
    It is not the breed, but the owners.
    It is the OWNERS responsibility and blame, not the dogs.

• Andrea
    July 01, 2010 - 20:16

Fisherman, you heartless idiot!

• CBS Girl
    July 01, 2010 - 20:14

Second, go after those dog owners like there is no tomorrow.

• Tracy
    July 01, 2010 - 20:14

• Elaine
    July 01, 2010 - 20:14

• Jackie
    July 01, 2010 - 20:13

My heart is broken

• Jackie
    July 01, 2010 - 20:12

• Pardise Joe
    July 01, 2010 - 20:12

Owners fault no exceptions. Some of these comments are from total wank@#s.

Hope sandy pulls through!!!

• Trish
    July 01, 2010 - 20:12

• Isaac
    July 01, 2010 - 20:12

• c
    July 01, 2010 - 20:11

• Sue
    July 01, 2010 - 20:10

Speedy recovery Sandy!!

• shamefull
    July 01, 2010 - 20:09

I hope the pet 'Sandy' makes a full recovery.

• D
    July 01, 2010 - 20:09

I pity you.

• AR
    July 01, 2010 - 20:09

• Heather
    July 01, 2010 - 20:08

All the best to Sandy and his family; he will be in my prayers.

• Jason
    July 01, 2010 - 20:08

Wow 62 comments and the only person that seems to get dogs is Katie from NL.

A Llasa Apso often gets cranky around kids.
    Rottweilers are extremely protective of their masters.
    Dachshunds aren't known for their patience.
    The Pekingese isn't all that tolerant of strangers.

Bulldogs are very playful and gentle.
    Great Danes, while considerable in size, happen to be kind and affectionate.
    Mastiffs are especially quiet and docile.

• Rusty

July 01, 2010 - 19:56

• David
    July 01, 2010 - 19:56

c from Alberta,

• Brittany
    July 01, 2010 - 19:54

Jaime, keep up the fight and let's hope Sandy can do the same.

• Mim

• Maggie
    July 01, 2010 - 19:51

• VJ
    July 01, 2010 - 19:50

• Ethel
    July 01, 2010 - 19:50

Stricter laws need to be enforced.
    God bless for a speedy recovery.

• fisherman from nl

• John
    July 01, 2010 - 19:49

• c
    July 01, 2010 - 19:49

• Mad
    July 01, 2010 - 19:47

God speed for a speedy recovery Sandy!

• rgg
    July 01, 2010 - 19:47

• Judy
    July 01, 2010 - 19:46

kind of attitude.

• Bibbie from NL
    July 01, 2010 - 19:46

• Melanie
    July 01, 2010 - 19:45

Its a shame that something is only done when someone or something gets hurt.

• Nicholas
    July 01, 2010 - 19:45

Darlene, this is a DOG, not Danny Williams!!

• tonya
    July 01, 2010 - 19:44

God bless Sandy and her dedicated family.

I don't blame the other two dogs. I blame their owner(s).

• Lottee
    July 01, 2010 - 19:44

If a child breaks a window accidentally....the parents own up...same applies..
    The owners should be responsible for all financials incurred by the family..

Edwards family.....my heart goes out to you..stay strong....

• BONNIE