Comments

Comments

• Karen
    July 02, 2010 - 13:31

Johanne is as kind a person as you could ever know. To see Haiti through her eyes (she has so many stories!) added a whole new dimension to what the media presents. Through her, I learned that no act is too small to make an impact on this mammoth disaster. Thank you again, Johanne for sharing your heart and soul to make a difference.

• Dean
    July 02, 2010 - 13:25

Way to go Joanne. Makes me proud to have known and worked with you. I was down to the Dominican Republic last month. Even there you could see some of the after effects of the disaster in Haiti. And you are right about being grateful for what we have. cause you never know when it could be taken away from us.

• Roxanne
    July 02, 2010 - 13:23

Im so glad to call this woman my friend and my hero! i've talked to Johanne while she was in hati from time to time, and I would cry as she would tell me her stories not only becasue I was hurting for these children but because Johanne was there making a difference and I was happy that she could be, and I don't expect anything less from her.we need more people like her in this world..She is a wonderful person one I will admire for all my life!

• SANDRA
    July 02, 2010 - 13:18

I agree with Polly one hundred per cent.
    Marine Atlantic should have giving Ms. Gallant alot longer off with pay for the great job she was going to do. I think Ms. Gallant deserves more than a pat on the back for what she did. Her story is very heartwarming and makes us wonder why we make big issue out of little things when we have people in hatti with bigger problems.

• Sheldon
    July 02, 2010 - 13:17

I agree 100% with Polly Pickford of NL.
    I am a friend of Johanne Gallant, and an employee of marine atlantic, and I know she didnt do this just to give kudos to marine atlantic. And for them to ride on her coat tails for publicity is outrages and selfish.
    A better statement would've been, we granted Jo a paid leave for as long as she needs to help these children of Haiti.
    I equate Jo's work in Haiti to that of Mother Teresa, god rest her soul, and the people there were very fortunate to have her.
    Jo touched a lot of lives during her stay, and at home as well. Lest we forget!!

• Polly
    July 02, 2010 - 13:12

Ms. Gallant is very much the hero here , she brought comfort to these children , but , is Marine Atlantic looking to benefit from this heartwarming story ? The following statement would have read so much better if it had come from Ms. Gallant----- Marine Atlantic supported Gallant financially and granted her a two-week unpaid leave of absence. Laing said it was important to the organization to support her in every way possible This is all about someone in Newfoundland making a difference in another part of the world, Laing said. It was very generous of Marine Atlantic to give Ms. Gallant a two-week UNPAID leave of absence. Marine Atlantic is patting itself on the back , and it sounds a lot like hubris ....

• Karen
    July 01, 2010 - 20:20

• Dean
    July 01, 2010 - 20:11

• Roxanne
    July 01, 2010 - 20:08

• SANDRA
    July 01, 2010 - 19:59

I agree with Polly one hundred per cent.

• Sheldon
    July 01, 2010 - 19:58

I agree 100% with Polly Pickford of NL.

• Polly