Comments

Comments

• kyle
    July 02, 2010 - 13:31

to steve;

really - I mean really. Not all dogs are bad and of course no child should be left alone. However if someone does not like my dog - I am NOT hiding my dog away to make them feel comfortable - thats there problem - especially if its my house, my car etc; My dog is part of my family. What about those that hate kids - should I hide my children away when certain friends come over that think my children are loud. And although the dog is part of the family - he is disciplined and does not run me or the house. Its the owners not the dogs.

• cathy
    July 02, 2010 - 13:29

Its not the dogs fault for being a dog, it is us humans who are at fault.Why people leave kids alone with dogs is beyond me....i have a dog and will never leave her unattended with kids or people she doesnt know.I just dont know how she will react. The bottom line is NOONE should leave their children alone with a dog no matter how sweet and kind you think the dog to be.

• Georgina
    July 02, 2010 - 13:28

Couldn't agree more. Well said.

• Stormy
    July 02, 2010 - 13:15

Kelly, I absolutely agree with you.

And I absolutely trust my dog, who is a great, big Labrador Retriever. If I could trust him to be gentle with a crazy kitten that I took in (that often grabbed him by the snout and bit/clawed him in play), I'm sure I could trust him with a child. As a matter of fact, even as a puppy he was very gentle with toddlers, didn't jump on them/knock them over, allowed them to grab his tail, etc. Not all dogs are alike.

I don't like these broad, sweeping statements being made about all dogs. Dogs are products of their environment much like children. Training your dog, as well as providing it with love and most importantly, respect, yields fantastic results.

• Steve
    July 02, 2010 - 13:14

How many confirmed deaths have been by dogs ? How many confirmed deaths have been by pesticides ? Want to protect your children in a very real and tangible sense ? Allow the use of pesticides and ban dogs.

• Kelly
    July 02, 2010 - 13:13

Steve,
    What happened is very sad and I am sure the parents, like the vet, did not think for a moment their dog would hurt the baby. Seriously, I think that you stating you are the problem and this is why things happen is a bit of a stretch. People love their animals and they are part of the family, and yes, like children, they need discipline.

I love both children and animals, and trust me, there are times when I wish people would lock their kids in a room vs. their dog. I also once had a nosey neighbour who would drop over all the time and wanted me to put my dog away. I did the first couple of times but then I decided I preferred my dog's company over the nosey neighbour and would no longer put my dog away - guess who stopped visiting!! :) Maybe you are the uncomfortable person at your friend's house and they want you to leave...

• Whaddaya At ?
    July 02, 2010 - 13:10

@ Steve. The quickest way to get on the outs with your neighbours is to say something negative regarding their precious dogs. You're not supposed to have a problem with dogs barking non-stop every day of the week or barking at their owner's door for 45 minutes to get back in the house. How about dogs barking everytime a car door closes or everytime you pull in your driveway ?
    One can't fault the dumb animals, it's their dumb, inconsiderate, redneck owners who don't give a $hit. The ratio of dogs to humans in certain areas of Mt. Pearl must be close to 1:1.

• Steve
    July 02, 2010 - 13:09

Why are intelligent people so prone to stupidity when it comes to their dogs? I have friends who have dogs and when it comes down to it the dogs run their lives. Dogs are animals and should be treated as such; they need to be diciplined and if somebody is around you who is uncomfortable around your dog...put him in a room or the like until the person who is uncomfortable. I know for sure there will be somebopdy who will say to this comment maybe the person should leave. Guess what? Yep, you are the problem and you are why things like this happen.

• kyle
    July 01, 2010 - 20:19

to steve;

• cathy
    July 01, 2010 - 20:17

• Georgina
    July 01, 2010 - 20:15

Couldn't agree more. Well said.

• Stormy
    July 01, 2010 - 19:55

Kelly, I absolutely agree with you.

• Steve