Bands pumped for Round 2

Danette Dooley

Queen's Maid will duke it out with the Ruins in title match

A duel to determine the best rock band in St. John's gets underway Saturday night at the Ship on Duckworth Street, an event that's been two years in the making.

And if you listen to guitarist Steve Vincent, Queen's Maid will emerge triumphant.

Drummer Derek Pink, on the other hand, says if you're smart you'll be backing the Ruins.

The bands first challenged each other during a three-hour non-stop rock concert at CBTG's in February 2007.

Derek Pink (left), drummer for Queen's Maid hams it up with guitarist Steve Vincent. - Photo by Danette Dooley/Special to The Telegram

The Ruins came out first, piping hot, at an event that drew more than 200 fans.

"They pounded out about a dozen songs straight and 11 of them were original, which was awesome," Vincent says of the competition.

Not to be outdone, his band retaliated with its own original music, belting out song after song.

The night ended in a draw.

Queen's Maid is a five-piece outfit (Vincent, Sandy Stokes, Jon White, Robbie Welcher and Ryan Strickland), with all of them but Point May native Strickland being from the New-Wes-Valley area.

They've been playing the downtown scene for about two years.

"In St. John's, you've got a few rock bands that are doing well for themselves," Vincent says. "Some people say the Ruins are the best. Then there are the naysayers who say Queen's Maid are the best. So, this is a chance for everyone to show up and take a stand on which one is going to come out on top."

Queen's Maid hopes their original songs like "Carefree" will get people on their side.

"It's about growing up as a teenager in a small town and how time changes, with everybody doing their own thing," Vincent says of the song written by White.

"But it's also about what it would be like if we could all go back to when we were young and carefree."

The Ruins is a four-piece group (Pink, Patrick Dwyer, Aaron Flynn and Neal Anderson).

Pink and Flynn are from Placentia, while Dwyer is from Fogo and Anderson is from Port aux Basques.

Pink acknowledged the competition has a slight edge in terms of confidence.

"Queen's Maid are more proven than we are," he said. "So, their crowd will show up and know what's on the go. People coming out to see the Ruins really won't know what's on the go, but we'll all come out and put on our best fight.

"When Queen's Maid got on the go it was pretty much just the Novaks doing all out rock 'n' roll. It's what we were trying to do, too."

Pink describes his band's tunes as "aggressive style music."

"The songs are not about someone going out and beating up on somebody - it's more like a tough guy sitting there minding his own business, but if you mess with him, he's going to explode," he said.

Both bands are so energetic when it comes to showing their fans what they can do, that bloodshed - while not planned - isn't out of the question.

"Neal (Anderson) busted his hand open on the string of his guitar one time," Pink says.

"Nobody knew because he just kept playing on. But when we were taking our equipment down there was blood all over his guitar."

As Vincent and Pink talk about their bands, they manage to get in a few good-natured jabs at each other.

"When we heard about the Ruins, we heard they were a salty rock band. I'm like, 'What's that, Ches's choice or what? A take-out order?'" Vincent says with a laugh.

"Sure, the first time I heard about Queen's Maid," Pink quips, "I thought it was an all-girls band."

Round 2 of this battle of the bands begins 10:30 p.m. Saturday, with an opening acoustic set from Maggie Meyer.

Admission is $5 at the door.

And if the duel ends in another tie?

Well, Round 3 is a possibility, or the bands could just join forces.

"Who knows, maybe we'll take the Ruins vs. Queen's Maid across the island," Vincent says.

danette@nl.rogers.com

Organizations: Queen's

Geographic location: St. John's, Duckworth Street, Point May New-Wes-Valley Placentia Port aux Basques

Comments

Comments

• Mick
    July 02, 2010 - 13:32

It's only rock n roll ... but I like it

• Rock
    July 02, 2010 - 13:32

Well at least every band you listed other than The Novaks. The rest are lame indie bands whom people tend to flock to these days. It's just a trend.

• Dakey
    July 02, 2010 - 13:32

Ruins Fan, who else do you mean when you say bands like Hey Rosetta ? There is really no other band in the city on the same success level as Hey Rosetta at the moment so I'm interested to know who else you are referring to.

I didnt' mention Hey Rosetta in the first post as I figured some people may not consider them a rock band. Personally I do but thought it best to leave them out. I could also have mentioned the likes of Mark Bragg and the Idlers but again those could spark debate.

Sorry if you take it as being cynical but I'm just stating my opinion.

• Dakey
    July 02, 2010 - 13:31

How will this duel determine the best rock band in St. John's when neither of these bands is in the top 5, maybe even top 10 bands in the city? The Novaks, Pathological Lovers, Mercy the Sexton, Gramercy Riffs are way better than these guys

• guy
    July 02, 2010 - 13:29

you need to check out the hardcore scene.

AT BOTH ENDS

are amazing.

• re: Dakey
    July 02, 2010 - 13:26

The article should say HARD ROCK... no one in the city plays original hard rock n roll besides these guys.

• Ruins Fan
    July 02, 2010 - 13:23

Derek Pink is actually the drummer for The Ruins not Queens Maid...just to clear up the caption.

This will be a great show, and I already know what the outcome will be.

• Geraldine
    July 02, 2010 - 13:19

Hey in my opinion Queens Maid is the best-they rock

• Scrapper
    July 02, 2010 - 13:15

racket racket i'll hold yer jacket

• Ruins Fan
    July 02, 2010 - 13:15

Dakey: Chill out and stop being so cynical. They're just making it a battle for a laugh, nobody is going to win a trophy for the title. I will agree with you about The Novaks but what about bands like Hey Rosetta!? They top all those bands you just listed and then some.

• Rock
    July 02, 2010 - 13:13

Dakey O'Dea, all the bands you listed are pretty lame bands tryin to be like The Killers. They are in no way affiliated with Pure Rock music such as the style these guys play.

• Grant
    July 02, 2010 - 13:12

I think it is pretty clear that the guys are just having fun. There is no real best band ever and I'm sure they know that.

I thought the poster was very funny and I am always up for new bands so I will keep an open mind for The Ruins.

• Duff
    July 02, 2010 - 13:11

Gettin hammered tomorrow night or wha?

• Ruins Fan
    July 02, 2010 - 13:11

The Ruins drummer Derek is da man!

• QM Fan
    July 02, 2010 - 13:10

Queen's Maid guitarist Steve is da man

• Mick
    July 01, 2010 - 20:21

It's only rock n roll ... but I like it

• Rock
    July 01, 2010 - 20:21

• Dakey
    July 01, 2010 - 20:21

Sorry if you take it as being cynical but I'm just stating my opinion.

• Dakey
    July 01, 2010 - 20:20

• guy
    July 01, 2010 - 20:17

you need to check out the hardcore scene.

AT BOTH ENDS

are amazing.

• re: Dakey
    July 01, 2010 - 20:13

• Ruins Fan
    July 01, 2010 - 20:08

This will be a great show, and I already know what the outcome will be.

• Geraldine
    July 01, 2010 - 20:01

Hey in my opinion Queens Maid is the best-they rock

• Scrapper
    July 01, 2010 - 19:55

racket racket i'll hold yer jacket

• Ruins Fan
    July 01, 2010 - 19:54

• Rock
    July 01, 2010 - 19:51

• Grant
    July 01, 2010 - 19:50

• Duff
    July 01, 2010 - 19:48

Gettin hammered tomorrow night or wha?

• Ruins Fan
    July 01, 2010 - 19:47

The Ruins drummer Derek is da man!

• QM Fan