UPDATE: Doctors reject offer, ask to negotiate

Staff ~ The Telegram

Doctors have rejected the province's latest offer, but want to return to the negotiating table, according to the minister of finance.

This morning, in the middle of a press conference critical of the physicians' approach to contract talks, Tom Marshall was handed a fax with a Newfoundland and Labrador Medical Association (NLMA) letterhead on it.

"Late breaking news," the minister said. "We have a response from the doctors. They have rejected our offer in its entirety, but they've now indicated that they share a desire to reach a mutually acceptable agreement without further delays and they are prepared to meet with us at our earliest possible convenience."

Marshall called it good news.

Minutes before he had questioned the NLMA's negotiating tactics, saying how they wanted to do so through letters and not sitting at the table.

The doctors and province have been embroiled in an often bitter contract dispute that's seen the doctors hold a series of information sessions on problems they face. They've also ran an advertising campaign.

Government's press conference this morning was held to announce the public awareness campaign the province is running to counter the doctors.

Health Minister Jerome Kennedy said that initiative will continue, as the public needs to get the correct information.

The province has offered the NLMA a package that would give doctors a 24 per cent increase and put them at 98 per cent parity with their Atlantic Canadian peers by the end of the deal.

The doctors submitted a proposal to the province in March and have requested binding arbitration.

Speaking at the latest NLMA information session an hour later, executive director Rob Ritter said the words "mutually acceptable" agreement in a letter Marshall sent Tuesday is a positive message.

Today's NLMA session focused on palliative care.

Organizations: Newfoundland and Labrador Medical Association

Comments

Comments

• SELF
    July 02, 2010 - 13:35

Nl observer
    I support the doctors and feel they deserve every penny and more besides..maybe back2basics stated that phrase to spark debate...look at your own circumstances before calling others idiot...........its a hate word. God bless!

• DB
    July 02, 2010 - 13:34

I'd say give them what they want then raise the taxes on that tax bracket and take it all back greed is a powerful enemy.

• steve
    July 02, 2010 - 13:33

I think the psychiatrists who (try to) treat Nasty Nate and Pierre Neary and a few other doom and gloomer regulars here are the ones not being paid nearly enough for what they have to face....

• whos
    July 02, 2010 - 13:31

It seems to me that Nasty Nate goes by many names here. All the comments against me seem to be way too similar in wording and tone. Anne --- Well ya know Annie, IF everybody else is opposing your view could it just be that your are not correct?????

• NL. OBSERVER
    July 02, 2010 - 13:30

BACK 2 BASICS WROTE THAT ALL THE DOCTORS HE KNOWS MAKE A FORTUNE-3-4 HUNDRED DOLLARS. THIS PERSON MUST BE SMOKING THE SAME STUFF AS JEROME KENNEDY, SO MUCH SO THAT HE'S HALLUCINATING! AND HE DOESN'T KNOW TOO MANY DOCTORS OR EVEN BEGIN TO KNOW THE COMPLICATIONS AND INTRICACIES OF THEIR PAYMENT SCHEDULES OR EXPENSES THEY INCUR. ANOTHER IDIOT!!!

• whos
    July 02, 2010 - 13:30

I wonder who knows more about law, Nasty Nate or Danny Williams ... Let's see ... Hmmmm ... I think I'll pick Danny Williams ... Well Annie....In light of the past news from Quebec and the recent foul up with the mill property and some other issues as of late I' be inclined to give Nate the benefit of the doubt...Certainly wouldn't be any worse for sure!!

• Nasty
    July 02, 2010 - 13:30

Really it was not much of an offer to begin with. Maybe if government offered the same type of deal they gave themselves the doctors would consider it.

The Association needs to invoke the Canada Health Act and mandate binding arbitration. This is the law, and Danny and his minions have no recourse but to accept.

• member of the 20%
    July 02, 2010 - 13:28

Are you sure Anne? Did you sleep through the Abitibi fiasco? Napping during Dan's latest go at the Upper Churchill? I'd like to see the marks on Dan's bar exam before I put any stock in his being a competent lawyer; now, liar, that's a different matter.

• Anne
    July 02, 2010 - 13:27

Nasty Nate says: This is the law, and Danny and his minions have no recourse but to accept.

• steve
    July 02, 2010 - 13:27

to anne i guess dan knew all about the law when he expropiated the mill in gwf brilliant ambulance chaser

• Lovely
    July 02, 2010 - 13:26

back 2basics from NL money is not given out for free or evenly distributed (communism) in this part of the world. Pick a profession, study hard for a decade and a half, then you earn your right to make the money of whatever profession you chose. Unless of course you are government, then you can all secretly vote to pay yourselves whatever you want, even 8% pay raises every 6 months during a recession. Better yet, get Danny to set you up a NALCOR and a key to the government's treasure chest for your secret salary. But be sure to pay such a high rate you attract only the best possible candidates for the position - oh I forgot, that would be you. I wonder if MUN offers a Phd to be a fisherperson ?

• Nasty
    July 02, 2010 - 13:26

Hey Anne, do you not follow the trends in Danny's MISTAKES these days? Seems like someone that thought he knows the legal system is failing at an enormous rate these days. If anyone in the private sector were to made serious errors in contracts at this level not only would they have been shown the door, but most likely be looking at legal ramifications for the errors.

• Nasty
    July 02, 2010 - 13:25

Sorry Anne, but your paranoid delusions may require a doctor to look after it. Wait a sec, did you not state that you do not think the doctors have any rights in negotiations? Well maybe not those exact words, but your thinking seems to lean that way. We are starting to see the problem here. Those with an inferiority complex can not see the reason to pay someone more then they receive on social assistance. Sorry sweets, but after seven years of post secondary education and well over a decade of experience I set my own price. The doctors that care for you have the same right.

The Canada Health Act is pretty clear. You might like to try GooGle. I hear you can learn things there...

• John Smith
    July 02, 2010 - 13:25

The next time you hear the expression,...and the rich keep gettin' richer...now you'll know who people are referring to.

• back
    July 02, 2010 - 13:25

I can't figure out what all the fuss is about. Every doctor I knows is making a fortune. 3 -4 hundred thousand dollars a year. Look at all those poor fishermen never gota cent since last year and there'e not a sound!;)

• Rob
    July 02, 2010 - 13:24

Morning Nate and Stop the Racket!
    Just couldn't wait to get up this morning and read your daily garbage in my home town paper. Well busy day today, off to work.....maybe you tools should go too!

• Steven
    July 02, 2010 - 13:21

I read some if these comments about a month ago. I made the mistake of doing it again tonight catching up on the news. Who cares about Nasty Nate or whoever else gets on with their garbage on this site. Seriously, these guys are the biggest jokes you'll ever meet. And the more people respond to them, the more ammo you give them. And The Telegram LOVES it! the nasty nates of the world are nobodys. they have NOTHING else to do with their time but write the junk and hope somebody responds. Let them make their comments and let it be. He says he's retired,,,,sure thing,,,,I'm this guy made a real difference in the world. if you could buy him for what he's worth and sell him for what he thnks he's worth, NL would not need the oil money. His first post today was before noon and the last was almost 4pm! this is all he has to do with his day. LOSER!!

• Stop the Racket
    July 02, 2010 - 13:20

Will King Danny now tell the Doctors they can waite until the cows come home before he does anything or will he find yet another way to point the finger at someone else? Apparently now its all Yvonne Jones fault that Williams and Kennedy took the Air Ambulance from St Anthony. Its also her fault that they accidentally expropiated the Mill in GFW. Why is everything always someone elses fault Danny? If you think it makes you look good its all your idea. Well Premier Williams if your heart and brain were only half the size of your ego things might be a lot different. OPEN...HONEST...TRANSPARENT....When can we expect that to happen Danny. My guess is NOT ON YOUR WATCH.

• Rob
    July 02, 2010 - 13:20

To: Stop the Racket....I'm a real person and I live in Calgary and I'm from St. John's and I will always call it home. Didn't mean to upset you man. I totally understand your point as I have two doctors in my family that left NL because they were treated like garbage and lets face it they could go anywhere in Canada or the US for more cash. I just feel like your point is sometimes lost when the same comments regarding King Danny are made day in day out. My head is not up anyones arse, and I aplogize for calling you a tool. Obviously you are not, you're retired and entitled to your opinion...my mistake. I read your comments and they make sense and are thought-provoking I'm just saying that the Dictator Danny stuff causes your argument and point to be incoherent sometimes. Its not even about this article its just the whole if you agree then you worship him and if you don't you got to hate the guy. Is it really that extreme man? A lot of good has come from this man leading the province, the doctors issue is not one of them.

• One for
    July 02, 2010 - 13:20

Thats right Nasty Nate. The blunders are pilling up!
    I hope the doctors and other professionals learn from their x last time....funny thing is...they won't!

• astcoastlaj
    July 02, 2010 - 13:19

I'm not sure people understand what Doctors are fighting for.Let's see ,eight years of university and then dedication to all the hard working folks with all their problems only to have the govn't play hardball.Be warned doctors will flee the province if they feel they're being mistreated and unappreciated.Every province is fighting for every doctor that is out there.

• Phoebe Tilley
    July 02, 2010 - 13:19

Anne for someone you seem to thin k knows as much as Danny Williams does about the law and its inner workings. Why is it that Danny and the Lawyers he has surrounded himself with in Cabinet can let someting happen like OOPs we accidentally expropiated the mill? Explain that one Anne darlin.

• Phoebe Tilley
    July 02, 2010 - 13:18

Anne sweetie I wold gladly run agains you any day. Put your money where your big mouth is and get off your fat arse and run. Your excuse for being here all day is what exactly Anne? Now back to work for me coffee break is over. By the way Anne thanks for the laughs you have provided today. I always wondered what kind of idoits actually supported Danny Williams. Now I know, Thanks Anne.

• Bill
    July 02, 2010 - 13:18

The Telegram has sunk to a new low by allowing the same couple of people such as this Nasty Nate obviously use different names to attack those who disagree with them.

Such comments border on hate literature and The Telegram is at much as fault as these lowlifes are. Shame on The Telegram! I'm out of here for good.

• Pierre Neary
    July 02, 2010 - 13:17

This offer was never meant to be taken seriously by the Dr.'s. More smoke and mirrors from the Premier and Minister Kennedy. They will obviously continue to play games with people's healthcare until it bites them in the butt. The Premier is leaving himself a terrible legacy. Send it to arbitration and be done with it.

• arnold
    July 02, 2010 - 13:16

back2basics you say every doctor you know... how many doctors do you have to see ?What a burden on our helthcare system you must be. If I drove around and did a poll asking doctors how much they make each year how many do you think would tell me its none of my business?But yet they all tell you how much they make when you sit in their offices. Righto! Liar.

• melvin
    July 02, 2010 - 13:16

geez; i guess none of these new guys/doctors gonna be doing any house calls;
    what a bunch greedy so and so's
    get 98 percent parity; and live in the
    lowest taxed province in atlantic canada
    with best quality of life;
    hard to believe
    offer was not accepted; too hard to understand; they needed clarification
    some glad they are highly educated;
    or probably just poorly lead
    by mr. ritter and mr. lewis

• Nasty
    July 02, 2010 - 13:16

Rob, what are you doing in my home province of Alberta if you are so home sick that you need to contribute to the goings on with health care here? Anyway, Danny is just a poorer version of the good old drunk Ralph. Alberta has gone down the tubes since David Thompson, but I doubt you had the pleasure of his term in office to notice what a real leader looks like anyway.

Did you know that Alberta now has the highest increase in Social Assistance applications in Canada? WoW an increase of 43.2% last year alone! Not such a great place anymore, and I bet you can see the reason for that happening.

• Bones
    July 02, 2010 - 13:14

LOL, the haters here must have the collective iq of a package of bacon to not see the greed in rejecting a deal that includes 98% parity and a 24% salary increase. Is 2% really worth putting the elderly and the ill through this, or are there now additions to the wish list that require addressing? Did they do this to force a request for clarity like they had to do? Give 'em what they want, I say, and have their collective a**es sign on the dotted line, their guarantees that this will address the issues they say it will. Won't happen though because they ALL know it won't make a single bit of difference to patient care or the ability to recruit new doctors in a NATION that is sharing this province's difficulties.

• Duke
    July 02, 2010 - 13:14

As a former resident, I'm glad to see the doctors in newfoundland have finally grown a backbone.

The medical system in the province is by far one of the worst in Canada - I don't know how the patients and the doctors put up with such incopetence and 3rd world medicine.

In my opinion the medical system isn't much better than the state of the roads in downtown St. John's

• pants
    July 02, 2010 - 13:13

It seems to me that Nasty makes too much sense for you. You need not worry about Nasty on the street but have reason to worry about Danny at the helm. Consult the Doctors, Nurses, Fishermen, taxpayers paying for the mill in Grand Falls, or anyone outside the overpass before shooting off.

• member of the 20%
    July 02, 2010 - 13:12

Anne, you wanna know what's scary? 80% of the people following Dan! People like you. Have you ever heard of Jimmy Jones??
    As for Nate, I've never met him or any of the other free thinkers who comment on here, however, I suggest to The Tely to sponsor a town hall meeting and invite its regular posters, you included, to an open debate. Leave the polititions out of it, just those of us who post regularly, regardless of which side of the Danny debate they're on. How 'bout that?
    We could all go, the Tely could moderate and we all have our say. Are you up for it or do you need to clear it with someone?

• Randy
    July 02, 2010 - 13:12

WOW! Amazing at how some peopple on here just have to blame Danny-boy for everything!! I say, let the greedy SOB's go; someone will come along and fill their ppositions ;if thy're as valuable as they think they are, what are they doing here???? How come they're not at Johns-Hopkins, or the Mayo Clinic somewhere if they're worth so much?? like one post so very beuatifully put it, give em the raise, then take it back in taxes, ;the greediest , self-serving jokers the province has!!

• Anne
    July 02, 2010 - 13:11

It seems to me that Nasty Nate goes by many names here. All the comments against me seem to be way too similar in wording and tone. But what really scares me it the thought thet there would be many people of Nasty Nate's mentality romaing free on our streets with our children.

• Stop the Racket
    July 02, 2010 - 13:09

Rob in Calgary too bad you had to leave this great province to find meaningfull and well paid work I am long ago retired and had to leave just like you did Im back home now and quite content to come on here as often as I like and express my opinions on the Almighty Danny Williams. It appears that in your warped little mind Rob that any of us who dont worship Danny like you do or any of us who dare to question some of his actions are in your opinion tools..Thats a typical Williams come back Rob. Perhaps your not really In Calgary your on the 8th floor of Confederation building checking the comments on these web sites. Yes Rob he actually pays people good money to do that and also to listen to the open line shows and phone in there to defend his actions.. I you are indeed in Calgary Rob then I guess the health care system in NL dosent really matter to you but it sure as hell matters to me and I can tell you now that I DONT LIKE what Danny Williams and Jerome Kennedy have done to it in this Province. If you like it Rob then good for you. Now go stick your head back up Dannys arse where you must usually have it. Im sure that gives you a warm and fuzzy feeling Rob.

• Anne
    July 02, 2010 - 13:08

Then Nasty, would I be correct in assuming that you will put YOUR money where YOUR loud mouth is and run in
    the next election and fire Danny Williams? No? Oh, you have a bad back and like watching the soaps huh? Hmmm, kind of thought so.

• Dolly
    July 02, 2010 - 13:08

We can all see the problems affiliated with the William's administration.
    It is that dictatorship mentality..(gets us nowhere)now everybody....including myself.. thats enough. DO as Rob says!
    There are taxes to be made!!

• SELF

• John Smith
    July 01, 2010 - 20:11

• back
    July 01, 2010 - 20:11

• Rob
    July 01, 2010 - 20:10

Morning Nate and Stop the Racket!

• Steven
    July 01, 2010 - 20:05

• Stop the Racket
    July 01, 2010 - 20:03

• Rob
    July 01, 2010 - 20:03

• One for
    July 01, 2010 - 20:02

Thats right Nasty Nate. The blunders are pilling up!

• astcoastlaj

• Stop the Racket
    July 01, 2010 - 19:44

• Anne
    July 01, 2010 - 19:43

• Dolly
    July 01, 2010 - 19:43

We can all see the problems affiliated with the William's administration.
    There are taxes to be made!!