Fire department warns about snow buildup around furnace, fireplace vents

Staff ~ The Telegram
Send to a friend

Send this article to a friend.

The St. John's Regional Fire Department is advising home and building owners to check furnace and fireplace exhaust vents for snow accumulation.
The department warns that snow buildup around the vents could result in deadly carbon monoxide gas leaking into the home or building.
Carbon monoxide is a colourless, odourless, tasteless and toxic gas which is often referred to as the silent killer.
When inhaled, it will inhibit the blood's capacity to transport oxygen throughout the body. It can poison a person quickly when in high concentrations, or slowly in doses. Exposure can cause flu-like symptoms such as: headaches; nausea; dizziness; burning eyes; confusion; drowsiness; and loss of consciousness.
The department says vents should be checked daily during the winter months to ensure snow has not drifted around the opening.
Anytime there is concern of carbon monoxide leaking into your home or workplace, you should leave the building immediately and call 911 or your local emergency number.
Also, the installation of a carbon monoxide detector is an added measure of security when you heat your home with a fuel burning furnace or fireplace.

Organizations: Regional Fire Department

Geographic location: St. John's

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Thanks for voting!

Top of page

Comments

Comments