Update: Accused murderer back in court after brief bail release

Rosie Mullaley
Send to a friend

Send this article to a friend.

Kenny Green, who is suspected of killing Joey Whalen, was taken back into custody Saturday evening, a day after he was granted bail.


Accused murderer Kenny Green had a very brief court appearance Sunday after an almost as brief period out on Bail.

A day after he was released on bail, Green was back behind bars.

The 35-year-old was arrested Saturday evening after he was spotted at Jungle Jim's restaurant on Topsail Road in St. John's.

While it's not believed Green was drinking, he was under strict conditions not be in an establishment that sells alcohol.

He was taken back to jail and is scheduled to appear in court Sunday on the charge of breaching court orders.

Green was released from jail Friday afternoon by Justice William Goodridge following a bail review at Newfoundland Supreme Court.

Other strict conditions the judge imposed on Green included that he post three sureties of $25,000 each with the court, that he live with his mother, have no contact with a long list of people — including anyone related to the victim — obey curfew and abstain from drugs and alcohol.

He is also not allowed to have firearms or weapons, and must report to the RNC four times a week.

Green has pleaded not guilty to a charge of second-degree murder.

He's suspected of killing 47-year-old Joey Whalen, who died in hospital March 17, 2013, two days after he was reportedly beaten at a house on Tessier Place in the downtown area of St. John's. Green was arrested in connection with the murder.

Shortly after his arrest, Green was ordered to undergo a psychiatric evaluation at the Waterford Hospital. While at the hospital, he was charged with conspiring with Matthew O’Quinn to escape lawful custody in April 2013 after nurses found sheets tied together in the room they were sleeping in.

With those charges still pending, Green was denied bail in June 2013 by Justice Donald Burrage.

However, last month, Green and O’Quinn were found not guilty of the conspiracy charge.

Green then sought the bail review in Supreme Court. His new bail hearing is set for Monday morning.



Twitter: TelyCourt

Organizations: Waterford Hospital

Geographic location: St. John's, Topsail Road, Tessier Place

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Thanks for voting!

Top of page



Recent comments

  • grant
    January 19, 2014 - 09:31

    Maybe they should put his sureties up to 1 million dollars and that would really make him think twice about breaking his bail conditions.

  • newsflash
    January 18, 2014 - 19:57

    Helllllllooooo Jungle Jim's does offer takeout Mr.Green!! Not the sharpest tool in the shed that's for sure but really not surprised.