Jury expected to begin deliberations in Moncton abduction case today

The Canadian Press ~ The News
Send to a friend

Send this article to a friend.

Accused kidnapper Romeo Cormier is led into a Moncton court in this file photo. The case is expected to go to the jury today. — File photo

MONCTON, N.B. — The trial of a Moncton man accused of abducting a woman last year and holding her captive in his basement apartment for almost a month is expected to go to the jury today.

Romeo Cormier is charged with kidnapping, forcible confinement, sexual assault, assault with a weapon, theft and uttering death threats.

Judge Zoel Dionne will give his instructions to the jury before they begin their deliberations.

Testimony during the trial presented two very different versions of what happened during the 26 days the 55-year-old woman was missing.

The woman, whose name in banned from publication, told the court she was abducted by Cormier at knifepoint outside a Moncton mall and sexually assaulted before she was able to escape in March 2010.

The 63-year-old Cormier said the woman wanted to be with him and that she had enlisted him in a plot to kill her husband.

Geographic location: Moncton

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Thanks for voting!

Top of page

Comments

Comments

Recent comments

  • BONITA
    July 05, 2011 - 11:13

    THIS IS A VERY INTERESTING CASE, LET WAIT AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS, A CASE OF HE SAID SHE SAID, ,,,, INTERESTING,