Comments

Comments

• trevor green
    December 21, 2010 - 15:07

culling coyotes will not work there here for good .there are alot more in the woods then people knows for and there very large the last 4 i got were in the 50 lb rang.now if i could only get the 100 dollars from the GOV.haven't received any money from the one's i turned in back in sept.don't see much point in hunting them for $25.if you got to wait forever to get paid for them .

• Kevin
    July 27, 2010 - 07:05

Coyotes are here to stay, as Red has said, it is proven that when the established number of coyotes is at risk, they start producing larger litters. Sounds impossible but it has been proven everywhere else on the continent. The encouragment from the Dept. of Wildlife, to hunt coyotes is not to eliminate them so much as to make them more wary of humans. If they learn we are dangerous they will stay away. The caribou may be suffering loss because of bear and coyotes but I thought the real reason for the masive decline of the caribou was a brain parasite. Relatively speaking there are not enough cototes on the Island to have that much of an impact.

• ward samson
    July 22, 2010 - 13:05

We can stand by and watch, it is imperative that we understand those new animals to our province and develop a comprehensive program to reduce the numbers..I doubt we will eradicate them. However, we know that our caribou is a provincial icon and they have not learned to avoid the coyote as yet. This Eastern Coyote is much larger that the one on the prairies...To do nothing ..we will certainly get nothing....In 2012 COEWIC will declare our caribou an endangered species...no caribou hunting.... What happens then...it will be too late.

• wayne Holloway
    July 22, 2010 - 12:32

Many people attribute the caribou decline only to predation by coyotes and by black bear. While these predators are the principal instrumens of caribou decline in Newfoundland, the real cause was and is the allowance of all herds to grow beyond the capacity of the habitat to support their numbers. This habitat quality is related to the herd numbers(overbrowsing) but also to habitat loss due to timber harvesting and other forms of human usage. It has been well established that when overpopulation occurs, animal numbers will decline through s series of known factors, significantly increased predation is only one.

• Red
    July 22, 2010 - 11:32

You can do all the culling all you want, but when coyote populations are under threat they multiply even more, as has been seen in Western Canada and the US. I wish the government would research what works and what doesn't before making stupid decisions. You will never eradicate them totally, so you may as well learn to live with them. It is funny how Newfoundlanders first instinct is to kill something if it is foreign to us.

• Tim
    July 22, 2010 - 09:26

It worries me that the area where the least number of coyotes have been harvested is the Avalon region. I live in just minutes from St.John's, in an area where subdivisions are all around, and twice in the past few years I've scared a coyote away from my yard. One time I nearly stepped on one while exiting my home at night!! I have heard similar stories from others in my town. I suspect these predators are smart enough to seek safe haven on the Avalon. We need to find a way to increase harvesting in this region.