Perseverance pays off for single mom

Danette Dooley

Woman says life turned around once she went back to school at 35

Krista (Meadus) Koerner speaks German fluently and has visited or lived in 122 cities in 18 countries. But all her life experience didn’t make it any easier to go back to school at age 35 to earn her high school diploma.

Krista Koerner with her 10-year-old daugther, Keara Burns. Photo by Danette Dooley/Special to The Telegram

“It was helpful in that I was a little more confident because of my knowledge about the world, but it didn’t make doing math or algebra any easier,” Koerner said during a recent interview at her St. John’s home.

The single mother has not only finished high school, she also recently graduated from the College of the North Atlantic’s (CNA) three-year business management accounting program.

“You can do anything if you put your mind to it. And if one person reading this story decides to go back to school, then that will be excellent." Krista Koerner

Born and bred in St. John’s, “the lure of money” saw her drop out of school as a teenager.

After living in other countries for much of her adult life, she moved back to St. John’s in 2005 with her daughter, Keara.

Koerner knew the first step towards a comfortable life was to finish high school.

Organizations: CNA, Prince Philip Drive student council, Canadian Federation of Students.While Single Parents Association of Newfoundland

Geographic location: Quebec

Comments

Comments

• BSW
    August 12, 2010 - 13:56

Congratulations! Good to see you succeed. For some of us there isn't a choice, it's what must be done. You were fortunate to have the support at CNA.

• Cynthia
    August 10, 2010 - 07:07

Great job Krista. I know that it's not easy. I have been there myself. I started at age 38 and am now a teacher (the past 12 years. It wasn't easy but well worth it!!

• Pam Hefford
    August 09, 2010 - 20:45

Congratulations , A great story....We need more stories like this. All the best for the future....Hard work and dedication really pays off...I also dropped out of school as a teenager....after my kids were grown I too went back to school....I worked hard for years for other people...Now I work hard for me. I have my own business for the past 4 1/2 years and 3 employees....I love what I do . I opened my business the same year I turned 50.....A dream come true, It's never too late to realize your goal in life....

• Esron
    August 09, 2010 - 20:28

Herzlichen Glückwunsch und viel Glück mit der Zukunft! [Congratulations and good luck with the future!]

• Sarah
    August 09, 2010 - 10:56

What a wonderful story. Congratulations, Krista, you've done a wonderful job, as a student and Mom!

• Interested Reader
    August 09, 2010 - 10:16

Congratulations Krista. I know that it takes a lot of perserverance to complete those studies, and the CMA program is also challenging. You must have had a good support system in place and that is also the key to success in the long run, when you have children. Good luck in the future, and ensure your child remains your first priority.