Stabbing incident outside Village Mall sends man to hospital

Alisha Morrissey & James McLeod

A police officer puts up tape around the scene of a stabbing at the Village Shopping Centre in St. John’s Tuesday. A suspect is in custody. — Photo by Gary Hebbard/The Telegram

One man is in hospital and another is in police custody after a stabbing in front of the Village Shopping Centre around 5 p.m. Tuesday.

Don Mackey was just leaving the Bank of Montreal when he spotted blood on the ground in front of the entrance to a clothing store in the shopping mall.

His first thought was that kids were playing with paint, but as he rounded the corner of the building — following a thin stream of red — he spotted a large middle-aged man, talking on his cellphone and bleeding from a deep gash in his arm.

Mackey says the man was tall — more than six feet tall— and the cut in his arm was at least an inch wide and so deep he could see the bone.

“I said ‘Buddy, you’re not good,’” Mackey said, explaining he next called 911. “He said, ‘Someone cut me.’”

See ’BLOOD,’ page A2

Mackey says the man was white faced, slid down the wall and lay down on the ground, while Mackey followed the instructions of the 911 operator, putting pressure on certain points on the arm to reduce the bleeding.

“Blood was just gushing and pooling,” he says. “There was no one around to help me.”

Mackey says the man told him a young man cut him. That the young man thought he was following him.

An ambulance and police soon showed up at the scene Mackey says and the bleeding man told officers that a man in a yellow shirt had cut him and taken off up Columbus Drive.

“I said ‘Buddy, you’re not good.' He said, ‘Someone cut me.’” Don Mackey

The man was then loaded into the back of the ambulance and taken to hospital, where officers say he was treated for serious, but not life-threatening injuries.

Mackey says he heard one of the officers say they arrested a man on Columbus Drive.

Police have confirmed they arrested a man, but have not yet laid charges against him.

Officers were not sure whether the two men were known to one another.

Meanwhile, forensics officers were at the scene for several hours, while other officers were climbing in and out of dumpsters and a K-9 unit walked the area up Columbus Drive, presumably looking for a weapon.

The major crime unit is continuing to investigate and are asking anyone who may have witnessed the incident or who might have information in relation to the assault to contact the Constabulary at 729-8000 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477). You can now provide information on the NL Crime Stoppers Website at www.nlcrimestoppers.com

amorrissey@thetelegram.com, jmcleod@thetelegram.com

Organizations: Village Shopping Centre, Bank of Montreal, Constabulary Crime Stoppers NL Crime Stoppers Website

Comments

Comments

• amazed
    August 14, 2010 - 19:35

Don't all you people with your uninformed mean spirited comments about punks and skeets feel like dirt now that we know a mentally ill man committed this act?

• Anonymous
    August 11, 2010 - 22:53

I worked at The Village for five years while I was in school and lack of proper security was always a major issue. The news of this incident was quite terrifying to me. There are many children, elderly people, families and staff in this mall and it's really ridiculous that it's now becoming so unsafe. Walking through the front entrance can be very unnerving with the crowds of loud and obnoxious people with nothing better to do with there time but hang out in front of the mall all day...and on many occasions I've seen the mall security out with them talking and not asking them to move away! The fact that something as awful as this had to occur before there was anything spoken about makes me doubt how this are being run in this mall. What needs to happen before something actually gets done to solve the problem of these losers hanging around the mall? Let's hope they're hiring some decent security...

• its me
    August 11, 2010 - 20:33

everytime i have been in the village mall you never just see 1 security guard alone you always see them in a group, so that tells everyone they are afraid to walk by themselves in the village mall.....also the mall needs cameras outside the building near all areas where these young and old losers hang out, when they should be out working or in school instead of loitering around a mall where you shop or have something to eat....WELL HOPEFULLY AFTER WHAT HAPPENED YESTERDAY THINGS WILL CHANGE AROUND THE VILLAGE MALL.....

• Anonymous
    August 11, 2010 - 19:48

I worked at The Village for many years while I was in school. I have to say I was a little surprised to hear of this news...I was also terrified. I"m not surprised to hear about the violence or the "hard crowd" that hang out at the mall. Often we would have to call security to break up fights and extremely loud verbal confrontations, however, security were often no help and just walked in the opposite direction or talked to them as if they were the best of friends. It's an absolute shame that an incident such as this had to happen to bring attention to the many tough people that are hanging around this mall. With the many children, elderly people, families and staff who occupy The Village on a daily basis, what needs to be done to make this area a nice and safe place to shop?

• Disgusted
    August 11, 2010 - 14:06

I used to work at Convergys in there and these people would be there from when I started my shift to when I left. I just don't understand how these people are allowed to just loiter there for over 8 hrs at a time. It's just pathetic. Maybe it wouldn't be so bad if they were at least clean looking, but these people really do look like scumbags. This problem and kids hanging out there during school days are ridiculous. They need to get police in there, like others have suggested, to really put an end and clean up this mess and get rid of their security who seem to be friends with these low lifes. I know when I worked there you'd see literally full families of these people hanging in the food court just sitting there, no food, no shopping bags, no nothing. The time is now people. I vote they with fix this or we no longer shop at the village till they do. Someone should start a Facebook group to petition the end to our worries of safety for simply shopping.

• Bill
    August 11, 2010 - 13:44

38 year old is not a young man as was described by the victim.

• Bonnie
    August 11, 2010 - 13:00

I live not far from the Village and I'm not entirely surprised to hear that something like this happened at all. Skeets pretty much LIVE at this mall, and I swear that more than one of the so-called security guards is in on the action. As if the security guard talking to the trouble-makers is going to make things any safer...I call b/s. There needs to be an actual police presence there in order to make the Village safer. I hate having to go near the Village at all but I don't have much of a choice due to having to catch a bus to work and school...I just don't feel safe there at all.

• Chris
    August 11, 2010 - 12:23

You know this is so true. The Security guys there at this mall thinks so much of them selves. They thinks so much of them selves they even hangs around and talks they these skeets. You got this so right VILLEGIRL. We needs new Security at our mall here.

• John Smith
    August 11, 2010 - 10:39

Yes, I agree. I think the add should be changed to ...Slash the tax...LOL On a more serious note I hope the injured man recovers fully. I won't say I hope the scumbag gets what he deserves becuse I know he will not.

• anonymous
    August 11, 2010 - 09:54

We need more policing, and tougher sentances, I hope who ever stabbed that man gets put away for a long time. we don't need those kinda people in newfoundland, send them to a prison in Ontario were he can live out the rest of his life.

• Jerome Richards
    August 11, 2010 - 09:15

The Village will never get rid of this problem as security are afraid of the punks..hey they got knives security got a walkie..come on The Village can't afford the real security. They really nee a police presence there at diffeernt interval times,. nott the scumbags who are numerous an I am sure the police can call most by name...The Village should get serious or close its doors..Not 2 places in there like..that includes the food court.

• Ally
    August 11, 2010 - 08:51

"That the Village" i never personally use the front entrance of the Village too many skeets and whats the point of Security every time i go there they are hanging out chatting with them them they shouldnt be allowed to hang out there maybe they should start applying for jobs there they spend that much time there anyways!

• Villergirl
    August 11, 2010 - 08:38

I second Tina's comment!!!! SOOO TRUE.. i worked there part time for a year and saw it every night.. My husband would pick me up each night and roll down the window for a little entertainment while he waited for me.. there is either drug dealing or pimpin going on there for sure.. AND security.. they just hang around and chat to the skeets!!!

• Tina
    August 11, 2010 - 07:32

The Village should ban all loitering on this exact corner where this happened. At any given time of the day the outside of this mall is littered with Punks smoking and hanging out. Anytime I go to the Village I avoid the front of the mall because of these skets. I hope the man who got stabbed will be ok, and the loser who did this gets what’s coming to him.