Newfoundland soldier Cpl. Brian Pinksen dies from wounds suffered in Afghanistan

The Canadian Press ~ The News

Another Canadian soldier has died from wounds suffered in Afghanistan. Cpl. Brian Pinksen, a member of 2nd Battalion, Royal Newfoundland Regiment, based in Corner Brook, N.L., was wounded by an IED while on patrol in the Panjwaii district of Kandahar on Aug. 22.

Newfoundland soldier Cpl. Brian Pinksen died today from wounds suffered Aug. 22 in Afghanistan. — Department of National Defence photo

Pinksen was treated and flown to a military hospital in Germany, where he died earlier today from his wounds.

It’s the first Canadian death related to the mission in Afghanistan since July 20, when Sapper Brian Collier was killed by an IED while on a foot patrol near near Nakhonay, about 15 kilometres west of Kandahar city.

The latest death brings to 152 the total number of Canadian soldiers who have died as part of the Afghan mission since it began in 2002.

In total, 471 international troops have been killed in Afghanistan so far this year, according to the independent website icasualties.org.

Geographic location: Afghanistan, Germany, Kandahar

Comments

Comments

• Ena
    August 31, 2010 - 19:38

Last year we toured the battlefields of France and visited some of the cemeteries where the Royal Newfoundland Regiment were buried as well as Beaumont Hamel which I will remember forever. I was informed by a friend that Brain is the first soldier of the Royal Newfoundland Regiment to have been killed since World War I. My heart felt thoughts and prayers go out to Brian's family and friends and may the many happy memories you have of such a fine young man and soldier bring you through the difficult days and remain in your hearts forever. God Bless you all.

• Jen
    August 31, 2010 - 14:24

R.I.P. Bri. You were a great friend, and I miss you soooo much already. I love you and you will always be in my heart. Forever Loved, NEVER Forgotten!

• Jeannette
    August 31, 2010 - 10:20

I admire our troops for their allegiance and loyalty to Canada. I can't thank them enough but I think the time has come for Canada to withdraw from this senseless war. These people don't even fight fair!!! To the family of such a courageous young man, Cpl. Brian Pinksen, may God see you through your time of grief.

• Aubrey
    August 30, 2010 - 17:41

Another of our highly trained soldiers killed by a bomb planted by gutless nightcrawling savages, a bomb made of materials one can get at any hardware store. Time to get out and let these savages do away with themselves. The drug lords of the opium capital of the world are funding the Afghan Army and there's no way they're gonna let the foreign infidels interfere with their drug trafficking.

• Sarah
    August 30, 2010 - 17:03

My deepest condolences to the family of this brave young man.

• Bonnie
    August 30, 2010 - 16:22

Sincere condolences to his family.It's time to bring our troops home. The hatred and evilness will not stop over there,and we have lost enough of our troops for what I consider a lost cause.

• Craig Lee
    August 30, 2010 - 16:14

Rest In Peace. Thank You and all others serving in the military for your dedication and valor.

• doug
    August 30, 2010 - 16:11

Very sorry for the family, what a waste of a human life.......