Man facing murder charge

Rosie Mullaley
Send to a friend

Send this article to a friend.

Second stabbing victim recovering in hospital

A Paradise man suspected of stabbing another man to death over the weekend is now facing a murder charge.

Steven Michael Neville, 20, had his charges upgraded to include second-degree murder in provincial court Tuesday, two days after the stabbing victim died in hospital.

Doug Flynn was 19.

He succumbed to injuries he suffered during an incident that happened early Saturday morning on Carlisle Drive in Paradise.

Police say Neville stabbed Flynn and another 19-year-old man during an altercation and then ran.

All three men are believed to have known one another.

Officers found Neville hours later walking in the area of Ashford Drive in Mount Pearl and arrested him.

RNC street patrol, forensic identification and major crime officers also found the knife nearby.

At his first court appearance Saturday, Neville was originally charged with two counts of aggravated assault and a single count of breaching probation.

However, because the victim died, those were substituted with six charges — second-degree murder, attempted murder, aggravated assault, possessing a weapon dangerous to the public, possessing a weapon for the purpose of committing a crime and breaching probation.

Neville did all he could to hide his face from reporters’ cameras while being escorted in and out of court.

Once inside the courtroom, he showed no reaction as Judge Joseph Woodrow read aloud the new charges.

Crown prosecutor Phil Lefeuvre and defence lawyer Rosellen Sullivan agreed to postpone the case until Nov. 4.

Lefeuvre requested that Neville have no contact with a list of people, including the second stabbing victim, Ryan Dwyer.

The courtroom was filled with friends and family members — of Flynn, Dwyer and Neville.

Dwyer’s father, Glynn Dwyer, sat in the back of the courtroom Tuesday.

He later told The Telegram his son received multiple stab wounds, which resulted in two punctured lungs.

“He had a hard time when he first got in (hospital),” said Dwyer, who said he was in the intensive care unit when Ryan woke up.

“They had to drain his lungs and keep a watch on him to make sure there was no more internal injuries.”

Dwyer said his son is recovering and has been moved out of ICU.

“He up walking around now,” he said. “He was very lucky.

“I can only imagine what the (Flynn) family is going through.”

“They had to drain his lungs and keep a watch on him to make sure there was no more internal injuries.” Glynn Dwyer father of stabbing victim Ryan Dwyer

Dwyer coached Flynn and Ryan in minor soccer years ago. He the two teens “hung out” for years.

“I have no idea what happened,” he said. “Nothing adds up.”

Neville’s mother, Donna Neville, didn’t speak to reporters Tuesday, but, on Saturday, told The Telegram her son had been the target of threats over the last few months.

Steven Neville has an extensive criminal record.

In November 2008, he was sentenced to four months’ probation for charges of theft under-$5,000, breaching a recognizance and failing to comply with a sentence.

In July 2009, he was convicted of impaired driving and stealing a car. He got a $1,000 fine, a year’s driving prohibition and one year’s probation.

His most recent conviction was in July 22 of this year, when he got a suspended sentence and a year’s probation after convictions on several charges, including assault, mischief relating to property, theft under $5,000 and a handful of probation breaches.

Geographic location: Mount Pearl, ICU

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Thanks for voting!

Top of page