Comments

Comments

• frank moore
    May 17, 2012 - 01:40

i was an aircraft electrician in this unit that had returned home the week before. i had just spent several months with these troops at south camp, i was at campbell army airfield waiting on there return that terrible morning. i wll never forget the shock and sadnss of that morning and every one after that. my roomate and friend pfc. greg owens was on board. i think of him and always wonder why? IWILL ALWAYS LOVE AND MISS ALL OF THEM. rip greg. your are truely a hero!!! god bless.

• Judy Corbett
      May 08, 2014 - 22:21

Frank, Hi, my is Judy Corbett and was hoping you could help me. I was 8 yrs old when the plane crashed. I remember being so excited that my friend was coming home! My grandmother took in a young man who was sleeping in his car. She took him and he became a part of our family! We all loved him dearly! His name was Thomas "Tommy" Martin and he was from Louisville, Ky. He had called my grandma and said he was coming home. My family found out about the crash by seeing it on TV. We never got any news, or information, since we were not real " family". I can see my grandma's face, he was her son, and she didn't know if he was on the plane or not! We have no pictures of him, and I can not find any on line. Long story short, did you know Tommy, or could you point me in the direction of someone who did?

• Janice Fried
    December 12, 2010 - 14:32

I was the crew who was replaced in Germany. My friend and I were going to stay on board, but thought scheduling would not allow us to trade with 2 others on the new crew. When we returned from breakfast at the hotel, our FO informed us of the crash and that there were no survivors. To the day, I can still see the servicemen I served that night! God bless them. I'm sorry.

• Rob
    December 11, 2010 - 19:37

I remember exactly where I was when my sister tracked me down to tell me Rodger's plane had crashed, I dident believe her, unfortunatly I was wrong, I did not know alot about world politics back then but records dont get sealed for 70 years for nothing, I haven't made it all the way through Improbable Cause yet but I did catch the end of a segment on the crash on an episode of unsolved mysteries, A LOT of things really made me mad on 9/11 but one thing that really pissed me off was all remaining air traffic was routed to Gander and the news made the comment that nothing had ever happend to put Gander on the map, how soon some forget, I miss you every day Rodger, and I talk to my son about you almost every day, I love you brother, always have, always will

• Sharon Wilson
    December 11, 2010 - 16:50

My son Spec 4th class Rodger L. Wilson was on this flight. I appreciate the comments. I won't be around on the 70th year when the records are allowed to be truely read and realized. I only hope someone will finally get to the truth. Our world was forever recked. Tomorrow will be the 25th anniversary of this crash. I would have much rather celebrated his 25th anniversary or the birth of his children or my great grand children.

• Margaret R. Harris
    December 05, 2010 - 19:50

My parents and I were on Oxford Street in London, England that evening, Dec. 12, 1985. We walked past a newsstand, and saw a huge headline reading "254 dead in air crash" or something of that nature. My Dad bought the paper, and started reading it on the Tube as we were going back to our hotel. There in the subway, he said, "Oh my God, that plane crash happened in GANDER!!!" The next morning, Friday the 13th, we flew home, into Gander. Driving out of the town to head east on the TCH, we could see the police and military lining the highway about every 50 feet, keeping the traffic moving and preventing anyone from stopping or going to the crash site. I remember seeing the runway lights broken where they cross the highway just east of Gander. It was a horrible, terrible tragedy, and even seeing what we did - very little - is something I will never forget.

• kate
    December 05, 2010 - 16:49

i remember that day as if it was yesterday. I was a second year nursing student. My best friend and next door room mate heard the news the same time as i did. We were both getting ready for our day at the hsc, as students. Her father was an air traffic controller at Gander at the time. she freaked out. Understandably.She couldn't get through to home, and we had to get to work/school.It was not a good day. My heart goes out to all the families of the victims. I visited the site a couple of years ago.It is truly amazing. God bless.