Comments

Comments

• Marianne
    January 08, 2011 - 12:40

People fail to see the high speed in the Stapleton case. The police investigation did say that the car was traveling (127km) on a dark winding road before crashing. Even the passengers in this car who did survive this traumatic ordeal stated the same. Any vehicle to be in a collision at this speed will sustain damage, especially a sway bar link, even a brand new vehicle bought right off a dealer. This man is unfortunate in that signing an inspection slip like hundreds of other mechanics do on a daily basis. So this could happen to any certified mechanic. To have over come a great deal in his life according to his lawyer and for any person to get on here and comment badly, just shows how low a person can be to judge another. It will be a shame if there is time given to this man, yes he should be held accountable for signing the slip but to be given jail time, where is the justice?

• mom
    January 08, 2011 - 01:47

I have to agree with WHAT's comments. Even though the girl's death was tragic, it was caused by the driver speeding. From this article I see that the mechanic had overcome a great deal in his life. I hope that the future is kinder to him than the past has been.

• What
    January 07, 2011 - 13:20

This article is supposed to be about a mechanic falsly signing off on an inspection slip. Why bring up impaired driving charges from his past ? Did DUI's make him an incompetant worker ? Why bring up the death of a young, innocent lady when all parties involved agree it has nothing to do with Mr. Johnstons' inspection of the vehicle. After the vehicle spun out and left the road at 127 kmh, is it not possible that damage may have occurred to the underbody/steering mechanisms that may have been O.K before hand? I hydroplaned at 75 kmh, slid off the road over a slight grade with not a bump, and had to replace a full steering column, tie-rods and control arms on a vehicle that was Honda Certified. Judge the man on what he is charged with, not unrelated incidents.

• whateverbud
    January 07, 2011 - 13:10

This mechanic is facing jail time and the person driving the car got off scott free?? I mean REALLY,who is more responsible for that girls death? A: the mechanic who issued a false inspection OR B: girl who buys a 20 year old car the day before (did she go get a second opinion?),was a new driver,CHOSE to drive this car at 127km/h on a dark,winding unfamiliar stretch of road with a carload of passengers?? Personally,I wouldnt buy a 20 year old car,if I did I would have my own mechanic check it,I wouldn't drive it at 127km/h on any road,let alone Blackhead Rd at night.Why? Because I act responsibly,not negligently. Noone beat this girl with a stick or put a gun to her head for her to do what she did.THAT is called gross negligence. But apparently THAT isn't a crime.

• Erin
    January 07, 2011 - 12:29

I agree with LENA, throw the book at him.... “(But) the death of this girl was not his fault.” It may not have been him behind that wheel, but one has to wonder 'what if'...Could that car have been corrected by Stapleton when she lost control? "During that trial, it was revealed that Stapleton’s 2001 Buick Prix — which she had bought two days before from Johnson, a licensed mechanic — had defects that may have affected the handling of the car" They will not blame this man for the death of Ms. Reid, nor should Ms. Stapleton have all the blame taken off her...The simple truth is they are both at fault here: he sold a car, knowing FULL well what could happen if someone pushed that car too far ( which is disgusting due to the fact he's a licensed mechanic ) and Ms. Stapleton because of her reckless speeding....In my eyes, both of these people took an innocent girl from her life and family...

• Kent
    January 07, 2011 - 12:27

I'm the last person to defend a guy like Johnson, however, the cause of the crash was the driver drivring recklessly at a high rate of speed (140 km/hr) at night on a narrow, unlighted, winding round. She could have been driving a tank and the outcome would a been the same, a fatality. Meanwhile, Johnson should be held accountable for certifify any car car that should not have passed inspection.

• P F Murphy
    January 07, 2011 - 09:35

So the car killed Ms. Reid? It allowed itself to go too fast and didn't repair itself so it could travel at that speed and not veer off the road to crash? Have I got what our justice system is allowing to be maintained correct?

• Lena
    January 07, 2011 - 08:28

Not responsible? Surely his actions contributed to the circumstances that killed this poor girl. In any event, his conduct is reprehensible and he is most assuredly responsible for endangering the safety of the public by falsifying inspection documents. Throw the book at him.