Harper government set to fall within hours on Liberal contempt motion

The Canadian Press ~ The News

Prime Minister Stephen Harper

OTTAWA — The Harper government is set to fall within hours — in the face of a historic confidence motion citing it for contempt of Parliament.

The opposition is hoping to set the tone for an election campaign that will begin Saturday after Prime Minister Stephen Harper pays a visit to the Governor General.

Harper is expected to campaign on this week’s budget and accuse his opponents of plotting to form a coalition government if he fails to win a majority.

Liberal Leader Michael Ignatieff kicked off debate on the confidence motion this morning, accusing Harper of subverting democracy.

The motion says the government is in contempt for refusing to turn over all documents requested by Parliament on the cost of its tough-on-crime agenda, corporate tax cuts and plans to purchase stealth fighter jets.

The opposition parties have already begun painting Harper as a secretive leader who abuses power and leads a government plagued by scandal.

Geographic location: OTTAWA

Comments

Comments

• lolharper
    March 25, 2011 - 13:39

For the good of this country I hope that people come to their senses and not vote conservative. Voting for "the devil you know" is so ignorant, and just an excuse to stick your head in the sand and ignore the atrocities of this government. If we end up with a harper majority because people accept this line of thinking, I will be ashamed to call myself a Canadian.

• Dave
    March 25, 2011 - 13:13

The pot calling the kettle black! Canadians have more than short term memory...sponsorship?? Economic stability in an uncertain world is what Canadians will ultimately opt for. The record speaks for itself.

• Davd
    March 25, 2011 - 13:05

The pot calling the kettle black! Iggy must think Canadians have only short term memory. Canadians will vote for stability in these uncertain times!

• Anon
    March 25, 2011 - 12:57

I agree problem, I'd much rather the complete liquidation of parliament and election of all non-incumbents with the exception of very few MP's who have proven themselves worthy of defending and upholding the constitution.

• Anon
    March 25, 2011 - 11:22

I really hope this country isn't stupid enough to vote this lunatic into a majority.

• Ron Weisman
      March 25, 2011 - 11:38

How can the voters decide whether Harper's proposals are wise or foolish without cost estimates? That he refuses to provide them is contempt for the Canadian people.

• Ron Weisman
      March 25, 2011 - 11:39

• Whatisyourproblem
      March 25, 2011 - 11:44

Our options are him or another Liberal self professed savior out for his own grab at power. Give me a break. I would rather vote for the devil I know.

• Whatisyourproblem