Black Widow spider found in Corner Brook home

Black Widow Spider. — Photo by Thinkstock

A resident of Corner Brook called the RNC Tuesday complaining that she had discovered a live Black Widow spider in her home.

The RNC called on the expertise of the Newfoundland Insectarium to assist in the case.

The family relocated for the night at their own choosing and a local pest controller is expected to go to the house today.

According to the National Geographic website, black widows are notorious spiders identified by the coloured, hourglass-shaped mark on their abdomens. Several species answer to the name, and they are found in temperate regions around the world. In humans, bites produce muscle aches, nausea, and a paralysis of the diaphragm that can make breathing difficult; however, contrary to popular belief, most people who are bitten suffer no serious damage. But bites can be fatal in some cases — usually to small children, the elderly, or the infirm. Fortunately, fatalities are fairly rare. The spiders are non-aggressive and bite only in self-defense, such as when someone accidentally sits on them.

Organizations: National Geographic

Geographic location: Corner Brook

Comments

Comments

• janelle
    November 26, 2012 - 10:27

seriously people ye would have a different face on ye now if it was you who found the spider!!!! some people are afarid of spiders and maybe the RCMP are the only people she knew who to call ... arent they there to " SERVE AND PROTECT" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! drama drama drama? hello people ye are the ones making drama,this poor woman was scared to death , "the family" so she obviously has a family and she probably has children and she wanted to protect them!! grow up people seriously

• .
    August 20, 2011 - 02:01

i found a black widow in my house just minutes ago..

• Laura
    April 01, 2011 - 07:33

I think it's rude the things they are saying about the young lady who called RNC about the spider. I don't know who I would call. I probably would drop dead. I am scared of spiders. I sure wouldn't call the cops, what did they catch last? If you are scared you are scared. It's as simple as that.

• Cyano
    March 31, 2011 - 05:11

I moved from Canada to California a few years ago and it cracks me up that the family called the RNC and relocated for the night just because of a black widow. An hour ago, I tried to catch a black widow which ducked under a picture frame and I missed so the black widow is now somewhere under my desk. I evicted another two black widows earlier this week.

• Kay
    March 31, 2011 - 00:53

Good lord! Called the police for a spider? Left her home for the night?? You have got to be kidding me. The drama, the drama. Yes, I can say that as I have lived where they exist and have had them in my house. No big deal. Am more afraid of the two-legged human species than a black widow!! I agree with John Smith - complete waste of police resources. I really want to know what she expected the police to do. They would attend, stand around, stare at it for a bit, nod their heads in agreement that it looks like a black widow, depart, and probably detach a retina or two rolling their eyes at such a ridiculous call.

• sconjin
    March 30, 2011 - 21:16

scaremongering headline Should be "woman thinks she sees black widow" according to the expert who checked it out, it wasn't but that title would'nt generate as many views!!

• Krista
    March 30, 2011 - 18:23

They are not tropical spiders they can be found in places like Utah (and they do get snow and cold in winter) to the eastern u.s. from Texas to Ontario. There is also the more common "false black widow" which is from the same family but the symptoms of it's venom less severe and any markings are usually not as pronounced.

• Todd Hollett
    March 30, 2011 - 14:11

This is not the first live Black Widow Spider found in this province, a couple of years ago there was one found in a car dealership in St. John's and just last year there was one found in Marystown on the Burin Peninsula, it was shipped into the province in a box containing snowmobile accessories, I actually have it in my possession dead and in preserving fluid. These spiders could possibly survive in Newfoundland, they are found in Southern Alberta and Ontario, not alot of differences in climate between here and there.

• Cal
    March 30, 2011 - 11:41

I just knew something like that would happen when i heard that the Muffett's had moved in next door . Folks , you should report your neighbors to the Cops if you spot them eating Curds and Whey . The Cops could bring in Les Stroud and he could show how easy it is to eat only the parts of the Spider that provide nourishment . Is there a SWAT team available . I suppose that would be another option . I can see now why this is News from Coast to Coast to Coast . The jokes just keep getting funnier !!

• Heather
    March 30, 2011 - 11:13

Several years ago I had a few spiders that looked just like the Black Widow,hourglass and all, but they were NOT. I had them checked as my son had just returned from California the night before I found them. They were spiders that came from Europe and NOT the Black Widow.

• Rick
    March 30, 2011 - 11:05

They can come into the province via food shipments from more tropical climates. in 1985 I was working at Sobeys in Long Pond and discovered a female Black Widow in a shipment of grapes. I scooped it up into a plastic container and kept it for identification. It was positively identified by MUN and I was told it had to be destroyed as it was illegal to keep them due to their poisonous nature. It currently sits in the Biology Department at QERHS in Foxtrap. So I know they can make it to Newfoundland!

• Manny
    March 30, 2011 - 10:47

Yaaaayy! We have spiders! I want to be the first to see a brown recluse!!! At least we don't have them damn Japanese hornets or African bees...we'll have to wait until the honeybee industry brings them to Canada lol Many thanks to glabal warming for making this possible. lol I already have my condo listed for northern Greenland.

• Scared
    March 30, 2011 - 08:37

LOL @ John Smith..... I also agree with Michael Kennedy asking where was it found....It doesnt say it was so was it in fact that or was the women mistaken?

• Stephanie
    March 30, 2011 - 08:35

I think it's strange that she found a live one.. these spiders are used to tropical climates and rarely last longer than 24 hrs here as it's way too cold, especially this time of year. There's no way a live one could of even made it out of the where the fruit crates are sent to.

• John
      March 30, 2011 - 09:12

They do live in southern Canada. They're not tropical at all. Totally possible one got in on a truck somehow.

• Michael Kennedy
    March 30, 2011 - 08:20

Where does it say that the spider was actually FOUND?!?

• Honest Blue
      March 30, 2011 - 08:36

So they call the police for what they think is a Black Widow spider. What makes them think it was a Black Widow? OMG people do panic over nothing. I think I would rather see a Black Widow Spider than the mice that we have infesting our houses downtown.

• dee
      March 30, 2011 - 10:38

haha why didnt she just wack it with something LOL. she called the police ??she called the wrong people hahaha. dont think theres any size handcuffs to fit spiders!

• John Smith
    March 30, 2011 - 08:10

Why did they phone the police? Did they want the spider cuffed and interrogated as to its purpose in their home? Seems a bit silly to me and a waste of police resources.