Comments

Comments

• Allan Russell
    May 30, 2011 - 07:55

I know only too well the anquish felt by Shannie. Both of my parents had Alzheimers. My father died in 1999, my Mom died last week. It is very hard for the family to deal with. I really appreciate the article, it is a disease that takes away a persons dignity. Thanks to Shannie and the Telegram for bringing awareness of this dreaded disease.

• George Penney
    May 29, 2011 - 20:59

Ms Duff, thank you for sharing that private part of your life. Your mother was a great lady who contributed much to the betterment of humanity. She touched so many lives in a positive way. We can only hope that someday science will find a workable solution to the curse of dimentia. Meanwhile, we have to be prepared to deal with and sacrifice for loved ones who are thus affected. Love and compassion have to be our guides to bringing what comfort is possible to the afflicted.

• Maureen
    May 29, 2011 - 12:27

What a beautiful tribute to your Mother. I have many wonderful memories of visits at your family home. Your Mother was always ready to have another face at the table.It is sad that she was robbed of her brilliant mind. May she rest in peace.

• Ross Senior
    May 29, 2011 - 09:26

A very touching story. Thanks for sharing it. I am very scared and upset. I am 64 and my darling wife, Ella, was just last week diagnosed to be in the early stages of the disease. She is only 62. I would greatly appreciate any advice you have to give me.

• robert tucker
    May 28, 2011 - 13:57

Very, very touching story! My wife and I and our adult boys and our granddaughters are very fortunate that our mothers, (grandmothers and great grandmothers), who are both 85 nand 84 yrs old, respectively, are in good health. When one's love one has Alzhelmer's, all one can do really is to be there for them and be thankful for the memories that hey have of them before the love one got the disease. All the best Shammie!

• Starr
    May 28, 2011 - 09:58

Very touching story, Shannie. May God bless you for sharing it.

• Mildred
      May 28, 2011 - 16:18

It is a very touching story and brings back memories of our dad who passed away a few years back from Alzheimer. He reached a stage where he did not know any of his children, not even our Mom. He was such a kind and gentle man whose last years on this earth were so difficult for all of us. Thank you Shannie for sharing your story with us. There were a few tears shed today after reading your story. Take care of yourself and God bless!

• Reg
    May 28, 2011 - 08:28

Shannie, I remember your Mom as a very classy lady. I hear your pain and know that mixed with it are some very beautiful, wonderful happy memories as well. Thinking of you.

• Gwendolyn
    May 28, 2011 - 08:01

What a beautiful story.So heart breaking So true

• Patrick Collins
      May 28, 2011 - 08:46

This story resonates with me since my mother, a very active person as well, experienced the end of her days in a similar manner. She reverted back to her childhood asa result of Alzheimer's, and all that remained was all that we needed ,"love". Dementia is very frightening for those who are trying to cope with someone who has it. That person was usually the one who was there for us. We then lose that support and realize it is they who need our support. Ms. Duff's story brougt back memories of of our mom's last years, but she also reminded me of what it takes to give back to those who gave so much.

• Mary E. Whalen
      May 28, 2011 - 10:58

Sad,but very well written.brought Me to tears. Great job, as usual Danette.