Comments

Comments

• Steve
    June 08, 2011 - 21:04

That's it for the postal service for me. I'm taking the time to shift all my bills and mailings online. I could care less why you are striking people. You want my sympathy people? Umm.... No. Think about what you do all day long and if you think you are worth more? Compare this job to others before you quickly jump to a conclusion. You are driving yourselves into a company which has to contend with the real world. Expect the Canada Post service being outsourced to the China Canada Post Service. Sorry all, but get with reality in today's age. Right or wrong, it is what it is.

• Steve
    June 08, 2011 - 21:03

• anonymous
    May 31, 2011 - 00:12

I deliver mail outside of St. john's and I do not make $22.00 an hour and I have to use my own vehicle. As for you Irene, I would like for you to come on the road with me for one day and do what I do and you wouldn't be long hauling in your horns. You think it is so easy. Come with any of us on a cold and snowy day in the winter and see what you think. Some people need to get a life.

• Richard
    May 30, 2011 - 20:27

As long as private and confidential paper correspondence exists, we need an institution that upholds a standard for handling it with strict conformance and adherence. Which private corporation do you want to trust? Postage stamps hold legal tender value like currency. Postal carriers are sworn to public service and authorized to carry proclamations rom the throne, or declarations of war! Would you like to see that handled and branded by CANPAR or FEDEX? Do you want these services handled at the bottom of the supply chain by desperate minimum wage workers? When you sell out a country's institutions to corporate interests, you realize an immediate fiscal gain but it's a false gain. You open the door to corruption.

• Steve
      June 08, 2011 - 21:09

I agree with you on the confidentiality issues however I think this will drive the privitization of the postal service this time around... Most of us (i think) will agree that as soon as you write it down or email someone, it's open to potentially everyone to see so the real issue is dependability of the service. Unless the power goes out across North America, I cannot see how the importance of this great service will still stay relevant. Thanks for your comment!

• Chris
    May 30, 2011 - 16:18

Well that is about enough. Seriously, between the post office and the auto workers how much money do we have to OVERPAY people?? @Sue, you had to deal with snow? try working for a living??? I mean REALLY working. i was a mail carrier through my younger days.... EASIEST job of my life. I quit becasue I felt guilty about what I was paid. I was contributing nothing and I felt awful about myself. So I went back to school and got a real job, that I am paid what I am worth. Postal workers, auto workers, union workers......... do you realize how many people DO NOT have jobs???

• Anonymous
    May 30, 2011 - 14:30

If they strike I think these mail carriers will be in for a bit of a surprise when they realize that a lot of people don't care. Canada Post has become all but obsolete, if they go on strike it will not affect me whatsoever, and there are plenty of people out there who are just like me. I deal with pretty much everything, such as bills and whatnot, online. Most business mail is sent by courier. Canada Post just brings me junk mail that I don't want. If it were up to me the whole company would be drastically scaled back with mass layoffs, and a starting salary of minimum wage for new employees. In fact I would like to see them privatized, the taxpayer should not be subsidizing an unnecessary service.

• Sean
      May 30, 2011 - 19:29

You have the right to have your say, but at least know the facts before you say anything. To make a comment that Canada Post is an unnecessary service and that it is subsidized by taxpayers money, is outrageous. Canada Post is a self sufficient company and the taxpayers benefit from the profits the company makes. What kind of person wants a company to perform mass layoffs and scale back wages. You must have something wrong with you to wish that on anybody. It is usually people like you that are the first to open your mouth and do not have a clue on what you are talking about!

• Postal Workers spouse
      May 31, 2011 - 11:34

For those of you who only see the money that canada post workers are asking for and think there should be mass layoffs, this is to you. I am a stay at home mother of 3 little boys and we are currently living off of my husbands salary from Canada post so we would really apreciate it if there were not mass layoffs at Canada post!

• mary
    May 30, 2011 - 14:13

Maybe she doesn't have a relative working for canada post.

• irene
    May 30, 2011 - 14:10

I think it's outrageous that they have the gall to ask for more money. They are overpaid now for essentially doing what my flyer deliverer does. Have some backbone canada post . Their services will become less and less a necessity as more people realize that private carriers are more reliable and as cheap in the delivery of parcels. The younger generation will use computers for corresponding.

• Sue
      May 30, 2011 - 14:55

Maybe you should do your homework..it ain't about money. I love my job but it does have risks. We had alot of snow to contend with this winter as well as alot of rain.We also deal with high heat and MANY dog issues. I cannot afford to be bit by an iressponsible dog owner. I make myself aware of my surroundings daily.I'm not compaining about these Again I love my job. But don't judge what you don't know.

• fargus
    May 30, 2011 - 13:20

Just a comment. A part-time carrier starts at $ 22/hr. My daughter spent 6 years to get a Business degree a few years ago and still don't make that much money. Go figure!!!!

• Ryan
      May 30, 2011 - 14:04

Well then why doesn't she become a mail carrier?