Harvesters fighting clawback

Gary
Gary Kean
Send to a friend

Send this article to a friend.

Protests shut down DFO offices in Corner Brook, Port au Choix

About 100 fish harvesters gathered at the J.R. Smallwood Building in Corner Brook Thursday to protest quota cuts. It was the second time in as many weeks harvesters shut down the federal government office building. — Photo by Gary Kean/The Western Star

Corner Brook —

Protesting against cuts to halibut and turbot quotas is not how Ron Benoit wanted to spend his Thursday.

Still, the fisherman from Lourdes is concerned enough about the current and future state of the inshore fishery he joined fellow members of the Fish, Food and Allied Workers (FFAW) union as they gathered in Corner Brook to shut down the federal offices of the J.R. Smallwood Building, which houses the Department of Fisheries and Oceans (DFO).

It was the second time in two weeks fish harvesters from all along the west coast of Newfoundland and southern Lab-rador shut down the office.

In addition to the roughly 100 protesters in Corner Brook, more FFAW members also shut down the DFO office in Port au Choix.

“When a bunch of fishermen have got to resort to coming here and doing something like this just to make a living, there’s something wrong with the system somewhere,” said Benoit. “This is the last place in the world I want to be today, but if we don’t do this now, it will never get done. I think there are a lot more fishermen who could be here today too.”

Benoit, 62, has been fishing the waters off the Port au Port Peninsula since he was about 16 years old. He hopes meetings being held between the union, DFO and federal politicians this week will help resolve the outstanding issues.

Earle McCurdy, FFAW president, has been in Ottawa this week attending meetings on the fishery dispute. On Tuesday, he met with Fisheries and Oceans Minister Keith Ashfield’s chief of staff. On Wednesday, he met with Intergovernmental Affairs Minister Peter Penashue, who is Newfoundland and Labrador’s representative in the federal cabinet.

On Thursday, McCurdy was set to meet with Claire Dansereau, the deputy minister for Fisheries and Oceans Canada.

“It’s not promising the way things are looking, but things can change real fast. So we are hoping something good will come out of this,” said Benoit. “The way it looks to me, and everyone has the same feeling, they are trying to phase out the inshore fishery. Every year, they are gradually taking a little bit at a time.”

“When a bunch of fishermen have got to resort to coming here and doing something like this just to make a living, there’s something wrong with the system somewhere.” Ron Benoit

Dave Decker, the FFAW’s secretary/treasurer was at the protest in Corner Brook Thursday. He said fish harvesters in western Newfoundland were not happy to have had their groundfish quotas cut in 2010 and are angry now because overruns of the quota caught last year are now being clawed back from this year’s quota.

While they want a short-term solution to address the quota issue, Decker said harvesters also have concerns about the long-term so they can plan for the future of the groundfish fishery.

“The bureaucrats who are making these decisions and advising the minister have not met these people,” Decker said of the disconnect between Ottawa and fish harvesters. “They don’t know their communities or their history, yet they are making dramatic decisions that are putting their lives in turmoil.”

While the harvesters don’t like having to protest, Decker said they all would like to have been in Ottawa with McCurdy this week to put names and faces to this issue.

“They are doing the next best thing,” said Decker. “They are here to show that Earle McCurdy is not (in Ottawa) as Earle McCurdy. He’s there as their representative, speaking to their grievances and they want these grievances heard and rectified.“

Ernest Decker of Rocky Harbour has been fishing for almost 40 years. The clawback on this year’s quota will translate into a loss of around $1,000 in his income this season.

“I’d just like to get back what we just lost,” he said. “I can clearly see, by looking around here today, that a lot of fishermen are deeply troubled or they wouldn’t be here today. We can’t afford to lose what’s been cut.”

Decker said he feels fish harvesters may have been quiet for too long, but those days are over now.

“This is just the beginning,” he said. “If nothing is settled, we might not be so quiet next time.”

The Western Star

Organizations: Department of Fisheries and Oceans, Allied Workers, J.R. Smallwood Building Fisheries and Oceans Canada

Geographic location: Corner Brook, Port au Choix, Newfoundland and Labrador Ottawa Port au Port Peninsula Rocky Harbour Western Star

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Thanks for voting!

Top of page

Comments

Comments

Recent comments

  • Stop raping our resources
    June 03, 2011 - 09:03

    High bycatch rates are not an indicator of healthy stocks Dwayne, it only indicates that humans and the bycatch species are targeting the same food fish. The quotas are a function of the size of the overall biomass, and DFO is rightly saying that the biomass cannot sustain increased harvest. Politics has no place in the management of the fishery. The scientists should always have the last say on how much can be caught to ensure sustainability. We've learned that lesson the hard way too many times, by the content of your comment, it looks like you still don't get it.

  • Stop raping our resources
    June 03, 2011 - 08:10

    Nature doesn't care if harvesters want or need more quota, she can only produce what she can. This story leaves the impression that commercial harvesters could care less about the state of the stocks, they're more worried about their next paycheck. Let's hope government has finally learned their lesson from the multitude of other species that were fished to the brink and hold their ground. Political appeasement would be short sighted.

    • Dwayne Cull
      June 03, 2011 - 08:35

      The news story doesn't tell the real story of this issue. AS I understand it, this i is all about too much fish. So much that the time given to the harversters last year was so limited that the time itself caused the fishermen to go over their limits. it's a long story but it seems all the other fisheries in that area are stopped for various times in the year because of too much Halibut and Turbot. Cod, lumpfish etc can't go on without some interuption due to too much of these other species. This is actually a good news story gone bad....