Bonavista jubilant over Bruins win
- Michael Ryder fans watching the game at Cabot Stadium in Bonavista cheer as the final seconds of the time clock run out giving Ryder and the Boston Bruins the Stanley Cup. Photo by Glen Whiffen/The Telegram
- Helana Fisher, 4, waited with her sign for the motorcade in Bonavista.
- Young hockey fans cheer on Michael Ryder of the Boston Bruins.
- The giant video screen set up at Cabot Stadium in Bonavista where fans watched Michael Ryder win the Stanley Cup.
- The motorcade enters Bonavista.
- Excited hockey fans (from left) Emily Faulkner, Kasie Mouland and Samantha Linthorne await the start of the Stanley Cup final game.
- Michael Ryder's mother Debbie Ryder (centre) joined the crowd at Cabot Stadium in Bonavista for Game 7.
- These young fans can't wait to get close to the real Stanley Cup when it comes to Bonavista along with the town's hockey hero Michael Ryder.
- Fans watch the game on the big screen.
- Hockey fans at Bonavista.
- At two years of age, Owen Phillips is already a big Michael Ryder hockey fan.
- Debbie Ryder (left) reacts during a tense moment in the first period of the Stanley Cup final.
- A big screen for a big game.
- Fans cheer as the game winds down for the Boston Bruins win.
- Loyal hockey fans Margaret Stagg (left) and Gail Sexton enjoy the atmosphere at Cabot Stadium.
- Boston Bruins Michael Ryder is pictured on the big screen in Bonavista as he is interviewed by the CBC's Scott Oake during post-game on ice celebrations.
- Top of the page
- Cory Ducey, Marystown, NL
- - June 24, 2011 at 10:32:28
I'm a Newf, I'm a Bruin Fan and I live in NB now. I have a real good shot at seeing the Cup four times with my team hoisting it for all to see. Don Sweeney, (AM, St Stephen, NB) Brad Marchand, Halifax, NS Adam McQuaid, Cornwall, PEI aaaaand Last but not least, Michael Ryder, Bonavista, NL. YEAH, BABY!! BRUINS!!!!
- - June 16, 2011 at 23:19:35
My daughters and I cheered for Michael as he watched the Bruins progress to game seven in the Stanley Cup Playoffs. We are Calgary Flames fans but will cheer for Michael as well! Congratulation Michael! Congratualations are also in order for another former "Bonavista Boy" who wrote this article and captured the hometown feeling as well as the emotions of the people who reside there!
- - June 16, 2011 at 23:03:49
I'm a die hard Habs fan since as long as i can remember. But for that one night of the seven game finals I of all people was cheering for Michael and the Boston team, I would like to congrat. you and your team for doing such a fine job.I'm also looking forward in seeing Michael and the CUP when he visits Bonavista.
- Perry Skiffington
- - June 16, 2011 at 17:53:02
Its just fantastic to see that a young mans dreams has just come true from such a small town as Bonavista.I remember watching his father play for the cabots many years ago at cabot stadium. Congrats to the Ryder family on a job well done... Perry Skiffington Angus,On Formerly of Amherst Cove...
- Barb Watton
- - June 16, 2011 at 14:22:13
Way to go Michael Ryder....can't wait to see the stanley cup in Bonavista!!!!
- - June 16, 2011 at 13:30:01
Congratulations Boston Bruins and Michael Ryder, we are glad to have another young man from Newfoundland and Labrador wearing a stanley cup ring. way to go.
- Kim Rogers
- - June 16, 2011 at 12:51:57
Can't wait for the cup and Ryder to come to Bonavista !!!!!!!! My husband and I will definately be visiting from Twillingate !!!!!!!!! We are both die hard Bruin fans and with Ryder on the team makes the victory even GREATER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
- Will MacKinnon
- - June 16, 2011 at 11:31:16
As a New Englander in upper Michigan, with a Nana from Harbour Grace and and Grandpa from Blues Mills, NS it's always nice to find more links between New England and the Maritimes. I often feel closer to my east Canadian cousin's than much of rest of this vast continent. Thanks to Ryder and Marchand, and since I am a Michigander now extra thanks to Mr Thomas without whom we wouldn't be smiling now.
- Tommy Twocents
- - June 16, 2011 at 10:47:25
Anyone else notice the drunken idiot when they showed Bonavista at the end of the game. Way to go moron, they show Newfoundland for all of 10 seconds and there you are barely able to stand, staggering about for all the world to see. Just like when tourists cross on the ferry and they get a taste of the friendly Newfoundlanders wreaking of booze and falling all around the ship. No class I tell ya, not one bit. Maybe thats why Ryder didn't say much when asked if he had anything to say to the folks back home. It was exactly then that Boozo The Clown was trying to walk and Ryder was watching it on the screen. I am sure he was proud.
- mary pardy
- - June 16, 2011 at 10:30:12
I am a die hard Leaf fan ..BUT..for one night i became a BOSTON fan...Thanks Michael and Bruins. You made my night
- Harvey Jackman
- - June 16, 2011 at 09:57:38
Michael, you did it !!! I have never doubted your ability !!! Can't wait to see you, your team mates and the Stanley Cup in beautiful BONAVISTA !!!
- - June 16, 2011 at 09:51:28
Way to go Michael!!!!!!!!!! Newfoundlanders are very proud of you!!
- shirley a. ryan
- - June 16, 2011 at 09:45:30
well done Michael Ryder...another member of our province to be highly proud of...your family must be ecstatic as we all are. Proud to call you our own. keep up the hard work. we are proud newfoundlanders. God Bless Us All.