Accused kidnapper Romeo Cormier is led into a Moncton court in this file photo. The case is expected to go to the jury today. — File photo
MONCTON, N.B. — Romeo Cormier has been convicted of abducting a New Brunswick woman last year and keeping her prisoner in his home for almost a month last year.
Cormier pleaded not guilty to kidnapping, forcible confinement, sexual assault, assault with a weapon, robbery and uttering death threats.
A jury convicted him today of all six charges.
The 55-year-old woman — whose identity is protected by a publication ban — sat in the courtroom when the verdict was delivered, with her husband’s arm around her.
Cormier smiled as he left the courtroom.
He was arrested on March 24, 2010, after a woman — who had been the subject of a missing person investigation — said she was abducted by him at knifepoint outside the Moncton mall where she worked.
She said she was held against her will in his one-room basement apartment for 26 days.
The 63-year-old Cormier testified in his defence, saying the woman was an acquaintance who wanted to be with him and plotted with him to kill her husband.
The Crown recalled the woman to the witness stand, where she rejected Cormier’s testimony.
Sentencing has been set for Aug. 18.