Comments

Comments

• vivian pitre
    September 16, 2011 - 22:01

I 've been sheep farming for the last 10 years we had beef before , we have 2 llamas with the 140 head of sheep and it seems to work good with keeping the coyotes away i dont know if it is the hight and smell of the llama's that keeps them away , if we wanted to use large tending breeds of sheep dogs we would need to live far from our neighbors because these dogs become so protective that if someone crosses your property the dogs may attack to protect the herd , we have visited friends that have these dogs , when strangers come to the fence near the public road I' ve seen the llamas move the herd away Oh! by the way I have been spit on by our adult female llamas when I had to handle her baby cria , not so scary just some gastric jus from her stomach , nothing a good shower could'nt fix a very quite and peaceful animal . We bring our sheep and llamas home every night from the pasture with our border collies .

• Darlene Underhay
    August 01, 2011 - 16:50

My husband & I are originally from Newfoundland. We have decided to retire in northern Alberta as our children & grandchildren have settled out west. We started a small farm as a hobby for now but eventually we will raise registered red Angus cattle. One of the first animals we got on our ranch were Llamas. We heard of their great guarding abilities & have witnessed this first hand. The coyotes are in large numbers here, especially in the winter where they hunt in packs. The llamas have become a huge part of keeping everything safe here on the ranch and would advise farmers or hobby farmers to really think about adding this animal to your operation.

• MudderL
    July 29, 2011 - 11:30

At least someone is doing something about the coyotes... Keep up the good work skipper! Great job Telegram, loved this article! Love hearing about behind the scene stories about NL business'.

• Stephen
    July 29, 2011 - 10:22

Great story about a way of life that is fading away! Good on the rest of Howard's family to keep his way of life going!

• Wayne
    July 29, 2011 - 09:39

I confess to knowin NOTHING about sheep farming, but I have often wondered why sheep dogs don't work to protect sheep. There are numerous breeds of dogs that have been used for centuries to guard sheep from wolves and other predators in every sort of climate from dessert to colder than ours. Is there some reason why one of these types of dogs would not work here ? I'm not criticizing...I'm just wondering why.

• A. F. Butt
      September 15, 2011 - 19:15

Sheep dogs are no match for a coyote.

• LindseyT
    July 29, 2011 - 07:24

A lovely story about a local farming legend! People need to become more educated about our local agriculture industry and the issues they face, bravo Telegram :)