IceCaps official

Danny Williams, president and chief executive officer of the new St. John's AHL team, unveils the team's logo at Mile One Centre on Friday morning. Their first home game will be on Oct. 14.

It’s official: the name of the new American Hockey League team in St. John’s is the IceCaps.

The St. John’s IceCaps, who will make their home debut Oct. 14 at Mile One Centre, will be the farm team of the NHL’s Winnipeg Jets.

“This name,” said IceCaps president and CEO Danny Williams, “will put us on the map across Canada and the U.S. This name and image will market not just our team, but also our province.

“I’m confident hockey fans will support it. It represents our rich hockey history with the legendary St. John’s Capitals, and it has the natural element that is iconic to our province (with the iceberg).”

The logo consists of icecaps over rugged mountains. The mountains are capped with ice that is an illustrative map of Newfoundland and Labrador. The colours are reflective of those used in the logo of the parent club.

Starting noon Friday, IceCaps T-shirts and ball caps can be purchased at That Pro Look, Maverick Sports and Collectibles, Play-It-Again Sports and Sportscraft.

Organizations: IceCaps, American Hockey League, NHL Winnipeg Jets

Geographic location: Canada, U.S., Newfoundland and Labrador

Comments

Comments

• garry burt
    July 31, 2011 - 14:57

great looking logo bet you will see many around grande prairie.good luck to the team.anyone who dont like them stay home and shut up.

• Corey
    July 30, 2011 - 14:10

Perhaps the best solution for the naysayers to quit their bellyaching about the team's logo is for the team to put out a winner on the ice next season. Let's hope the Caps do very well & make the playoffs in 2012! I will agree that some folks will complain about the design of the new logo regardless of what it looks like, & honestly, they had plenty of time to come up with a solution. People who suggest that the team never allowed the public to have a say, well, for the last couple months, people were throwing out thousands of suggestion on the team's Facebook page, so you can't tell me that they didn't listen to the public because they do too. They did the best they could, & that's fine with me. Let's Go Caps!!

• Huck
    July 30, 2011 - 10:42

Silly name, silly logo. It looks and sounds like some sort of crap that a Roller Derby team would come up with. As far as the logo representing NL, if it didn't say St John's that "Ice Cap" could easily be mistaken for the Rockies. Of course nowadays Alberta could be considered as a very important part of NL. All of that aside, It will be good to see the AHL return so long as the team doesn't suck like the baby leafs did.

• IceCaps Supporter
    July 30, 2011 - 00:21

Team name is great. I bet all the people who are complaining that this reminds them of Tim Hortons are people who line up for 20-30 minutes each morning to get a cup of coffee. You are all like trained rats. One person says a negative thing about the name, you all follow like a bunch of zombies. This is a positive event, so quit being so negative. Go Ice Caps Go!!!

• Corey
    July 29, 2011 - 18:22

I actually like the new logo, well done by our new team, the Ice Caps!! I'm starting to get used to the new team name as well, even if I'm not too fussy about it. But I gotta get me one of them nice white T-shirts with the Ice Caps logo on the front! BTW, I've heard enough from all the 'naysayers' around here, especially those who've suddenly shown up since Danny became operator of the team. Can't people just get over their resentment towards Danny for once? He's allowed to be a part of this organization whether people like it or not. Danny & Glenn Stanford worked hard to bring AHL hockey back to our province. Some people can't help but get all crooked & worked up every time Danny's name is mentioned. What, did Danny not do enough favours for some of you in the past? Get over it. Knock it off. Hats off to Danny, Glenn Stanford, & the rest of the organization, & I'm looking forward to AHL hockey back @ Mile One once again. And if anyone "beyond the overpass" has a problem with the team, or it's name, or anything else, probably because you're still hiding behind your stereotypical attitiude towards us "Townies", well that's just too bad for you, isn't it? Go Caps Go!

• Justin Morison
    July 29, 2011 - 17:08

I like it. My initial reaction I would of liked to see the mountains more centered and straighter in the design, BUT it's the way it looks because the internal design is map of Newfoundland and Labrador, which is pretty neat. There are a couple artistic line and spacing adjustments, but I'm nitpicky. Overall it's pretty slick and cartoony usually is to be expected for an AHL logo.

• Bob
    July 29, 2011 - 17:04

The name is growing on me. Love the inclusion of the province in the ice cap. Colors are going to look great, certainly better than the red, white and blue! Yes, I'm a leaf fan! And please, all the timmies go have an ICED CAP and get over it. GO ICE CAPS GO!!!

• Robert
    July 29, 2011 - 16:47

Great Logo, Great name!!!! for those of you who don't like it, get over it, we don't need you to support the team and make it successful. The last time I checked there are only about 900 seats available after the season ticket sale so I'm sure there won't be any need for all you whiners in filling the arena. Hockey is back in St. John's, that's all that matters. Besides it's not about the packaging, it's about the product and it looks like we'll have a competative product right off the bat. Those of you who complain now won't be complaining when the Icecaps are playing for the Calder.!!!!!!!!!!!! GO ICECAPS GO!!!!

• adam
    July 29, 2011 - 16:40

as a proud jet fan and a canadian i love the icecap name/logo it looks alot better then the new jet logo anyone who keeps goin wit this tim horton shit is just stupid its a name people be proud of your team atleast we have teams in our citys again

• Why did Danny leave so quickly
    July 29, 2011 - 16:05

Trouty the last time I checked it was called freedom of speech not a Danny Williams Love In. Sorry your so upset.

• JasonP
    July 29, 2011 - 15:33

Danny has given a lot to this province and I for one can't thank him enough. I would love to see him become the premier again.

• Anon
    July 29, 2011 - 15:30

They may as well build a tim hortons at mile one, all of that "Go Ice Caps Go" Is going to give you the munchies. I'm going to be referring to the team as the caps since Ice Caps is totally lame. White Caps at the very least doesn't sound like a tim hortons drink and is much more common around our shores than the Ice Cap which sits much further north of us. And don't give me crap about Ice Bergs, Less and less Ice makes it this far south every year. effet, shilre

• Willy
    July 29, 2011 - 15:03

3 Ice caps to go with 2% please, watch out for the ice caps the cream will give you high cholesterol. It's my idea my money my team if ye all don't like it you can fill your boots cause that is the name i'm putting on it. Now run up to Tims Trevor and get ice caps for everybody every day until I runs outta money hahaha. Some people are broke and cool some people no matter how much cash they have will never be cool!! ICE OR NO ICE

• SP
    July 29, 2011 - 14:22

Ok, here's my only issue with this logo. Think of all the great teams in hockey history (Red Wings, Bruins, Flyers, Sharks, Devils, Penguins, Sabers, Leafs, Canucks, Canadiens, etc, etc,) they ALL have a recognizable LOGO or symbol that without reading the text of the team name you can automatically recognize the hockey team. Even the Coyotes have a recognizable logo that does not require any text to reference the team. Simply by seeing the logo or image you can relate the logo to the team. I simply cannot see this happening with this brand. Hell, even the new Jets circular logo doesn’t have a SINGLE word in the logo! It’s a Jet! It’s that easy! And god does it look and easily recognizable! I know I know, not all teams in pro hockey have an easily recognizable logo and some such as the Rangers and even the Washington Capitals require text for the team name, but this is Newfoundland and we are far more creative than this! If by some stroke of genius the marketing agency can develop a sharp and catchy image that doesn't require "St. John's Ice Caps" to be placed over the picture then maybe it will grow on me, but I just can't see it happening with this name or current logo design. Are they just going to stick a snow covered mountain (which St. John's, the CAPital city has none of) on a hat by itself and people look at a snow tipped mountain and automatically relate it to the St. John's Ice Caps? I highly doubt it! I’m just disappointed because I was looking forward to some worthwhile merchandise, but I truly can’t see myself dawning anything with this logo on it. I just wish a little more public consultation was given consideration to, after all a marketing agency with a full market research firm developed and designed the entire thing, so why not go for a home run (wrong sport I know) and really try and please atleast 70% of the population? I know you can't please everyone, but aside from Danny Williams supporters due to political reasons and those who just think everyone should shut up and be happy I really haven't read or heard much positive feedback about the name and now the logo. Just lump me in with another NL hockey supporter who loves the game, loves the fact that we have a team and will cheer with all my heart for them, but just wished this was handled in a much more public and creative way! Time constraints or not, you only get one chance to make a first impression and there’s no way I would even take this logo out on a date let alone enter into a long-term relationship with it. Go Caps Go either way!

• jim
    July 29, 2011 - 14:12

He will probably put his cousins in charge of it like at workers comp

• Trouty
    July 29, 2011 - 13:58

shocked to see Danny Haters trying to hijack a thread about a hockey name you would think the mods would delete it as they do 90 percent my posts,cause the Danny bashing is way off topic

• Don
    July 29, 2011 - 13:41

Love it -looks great. I see Danny haters and pathetic whinners are still at it. Get a life. Its a great name and logo and hopefully will be prominent in our culture for years to come.. GO CAPS.

• Three year comittment
    July 29, 2011 - 13:41

Just as I thought, Freaking "BRUTAL" defendantly not buying into that .guess it's time to dig out the old Maple leaf Jersey.And to think, I signed up for three friggin years to have to look at that poorly designed (if it was "Designed") piece of crap. I'm dissapointed in you Danny. "BRUTAL" i tell ya "BRUTAL".

• Dave Harmon
    July 29, 2011 - 13:33

I extend my congratulations to the residents of St. John's for being awarded the privilege of hosting the AHL IceCaps, thanks to the efforts of Mr. Williams. Originally from St. John's, I now live outside of Portland, Oregon, USA, and I would give almost anything to have a Mr. Williams bring an AHL or NHL team here. He could name our team anything he wants and I would still sport the teams logo with pride and enthusiasm. My hat's off to Danny Williams. GO CAPS!!!!!!!

• Robert
      July 29, 2011 - 14:43

Well Said!!

• Really, Now
    July 29, 2011 - 13:12

sucks Danny should "suck up" how bad the team name and logo are.

• Norman Wade
    July 29, 2011 - 13:06

Great logo, great job on securing the team. Thanks Danny

• Phonse LaFaunce
    July 29, 2011 - 12:53

GO CAPS GO!

• fred
    July 29, 2011 - 12:53

Who CARES about the St.John's Capitals? From a man who talks nothing but future this 'throwback' is brutal. Should had let the fans vote on some names but Danny is not about to let us have a say - just pay.

• nicole
    July 29, 2011 - 12:44

Glad to see St. Johns with another hockey team. Not so great with the name . I think they should of kept the name "Moose" Where Newfoundland and Labrador has such a heavy population of moose. But all the best to the team and to Danny Williams of getting a team back in St. Johns.

• Cimmanon
      July 29, 2011 - 15:01

Obviously you do not know Newfoundland that well. The main reason they did not keep the "Moose" name is because of the heavy population of said animal on the island. It has caused much heartache and sorrow to too many people. I liked the old crest and name also, but it was not appropriate for NL.

• Ice Caps Fan
    July 29, 2011 - 12:32

I have no objection to the logo, though I would have preferred a provincial name as opposed to St. John's. As for the IceCaps, no matter what they come up with the hectlers will always be ready and waiting.Congrats and well done Danny!!

• Jackie Logans
    July 29, 2011 - 12:25

Well done, Danny! Go Caps Go! (P.S.: Any chance of you returning to politics to complete the Lower Churchill Falls hydro project? Without your guiding hand, it's probably all a non-starter -- thanks to Quebec's opposition and Harper's duplicity.)

• Anonymous
    July 29, 2011 - 12:24

The iceberg logo sort of reminds me of an outstretched middle finger, which I approve of. I'm still no fan of the name and I will not buy any merchandise, but I'm willing to give Danny a break on this. He had the right idea, albeit a bit misguided, he should have listened to public opinion. At least we have a real hockey team now. I'll be cheering for St. John's, not the "IceCaps". At least it's somewhat better than the "Fog Devils".

• mom
    July 29, 2011 - 12:24

I didn't really like the name, but it is a done deal now so we need to get behind the idea. Go IceCaps Go!

• TD
    July 29, 2011 - 12:18

Lack of creativity and a hideous logo. The poor hockey team is already doomed to fail.

• Why did Danny leave so quickly
    July 29, 2011 - 12:15

Does ths mean that Dannys Team will be solid for part of the season and slowly melt away when it matters most? Oops that sounds just like Danny. In it for what matters to him as usual. Oh well at least my tax dolars arent supporting this. At least as far as I know they are not. Sorry Danny I dont buy your spin about this being good for the province its like everything you did as premier as long as its good for St Johns nothing else really matters. Remember Hurricane Igor Danny? You said you talked with the Mayor of St Johns and everything was ok so no need to get the Military involved. Oh well St Johns is all you know and care about anyway Danny so enjoy your time back in the spotlight where you crave to be. I bet if this little venture fails you will come up with a way to blame it all on someone else as you always do. I would like to see Premier Dunderdale and Prime Minister Harper take part in the opening ceremonies in the fall since you say this is so great for the province. Its great for you Danny why cant you for once in your life admit that everything you do is ALL ABOUT YOU. I wont hold my breath waiting for that to happen either. Will part of the proceeds go to The Williams Family Trust Danny just like you salary as Premier was supposed to do? Probably not.

• ron
    July 29, 2011 - 12:06

to you nay sayers....get a life, get over yourselves. At least Danny is adding a positive element to Newfoundland and Labrador. If you dont like it... foot the bill yourself for a new team and choose whatever name and color you like...until you do.....build a bridge.

• paul
    July 29, 2011 - 11:55

British Columbia has plenty of iced capped mountains but just where are they in Newfoundland?

• Chris Neill
    July 29, 2011 - 11:55

I think some people need to let the name and logo grow on them I like the name and logo my point is Hockeys back in St.John's for I care they could call them the St.John's Fartmasters.

• steve
    July 29, 2011 - 11:48

Cue the typical Newfoundland negativism.........nothing pleases anyone but everyone can do better.

• Robert Walsh
    July 29, 2011 - 11:46

Why not go all the way and give them Tim Horton jerseys.

• Saucy Face
    July 29, 2011 - 11:37

Hmmm, after reading that I suddenly feel a need to go to Tim Hortons and I don't even like Timmies!. Why is that I wonder ? Odd...

• G
      July 29, 2011 - 12:22

The Tim Hortons product is called an "Iced Capp" not "IceCap" it's not the Hockey Team's fault you fail at brand recognition.

• Cimmanon
      July 30, 2011 - 12:08

Well said G. Some of the people on here do need to learn brand recognition.

• Jerry rubia
    July 29, 2011 - 11:37

iam very glad that hockey is back in st johns. and i think the logo and color scheme will do the team proud. awesome design mr williams

• For intelligent people
    July 29, 2011 - 11:25

For intelligent people they are some stupid. Are they that out of touch with the people and hockey fans. Haven't the heard and read the comments. I will support the team, but always hate the name. They only thing worst was the Fog Devils.

• Tom
    July 29, 2011 - 11:16

Bland colour and logo for a terrible team name. To have a marketing team contracted to develop this name/logo and colours is sad.

• Dave Gosse
      July 29, 2011 - 12:58

There's no pleasing some people! Even if you had one of the original 6 somebody wouldn't like it!

• Frank from Winnipeg
    July 29, 2011 - 11:15

The Ice Caps are very fitting for the St. John's AHL team. Most images people remember of Newfoundland and Labrador are the icebergs the flow by just off the coast. And not forget the great people of that province. A few years ago, the Baby Leafs were taken from you, and moved to Toronto (Toronto wanted a hockey team, and is still looking for a hockey team) and become the Marlies. Now, that True North bought the Atlanta Thrashers, and moved it to Winnipeg and to be called the Jets, it was only fitting that True North moved the AHL team to St. John's. Both of our hockey franchises were taken from us, even with the fan support, now we both share the same future. I am personally looking forward to the upcoming hockey season, and hope that both the Jets and Ice Caps do very well. Congrats St. John's on the new team and logo, have a good season.

• Calvin
    July 29, 2011 - 11:12

My dear, it hurts how much this is going to remind everyone of Iced Cappucino, I mean the mountains, the lettering, the hockey team as opposed to the refreshing beverage. Note the sarcasm here people. We couldnt take the St. John's Capitals, which would have been fine, so this aint bad, get over the Tim's reference, you are grasping at straws to add some excitement to a boring Friday.

• Dave
    July 29, 2011 - 11:09

Awesome.........I wasn't a huge fan of the name at first but this is a great logo!! Something we will be proud of for the whole province!!!

• No Thanks
    July 29, 2011 - 10:59

If Tim Horton's wants me to advertise the products they should have to pay me. I won't be buying a hat or T-shirt.

• Cimmanon
      July 29, 2011 - 14:51

Obviously you can't read. The team's new name is "Ice Caps". Where as the shortened version of the Tim Horton's product name is "Iced Capp" If you are going to comment on it atleast get it right.