Councillor wants ban on after-market exhausts

Dave Bartlett

O'Leary not satisfied with provincial response on issue

Motorcycle — File Image

A St. John’s city councillor says it’s time for the province to act on complaints about motorcycle noise.

Coun. Sheilagh O’Leary says the issue revs up at city hall each spring, and has for at least the last six years.

Council has written a number of letters to the provincial Department of Government Services asking that it introduce legislation to ban after-market exhausts — tail pipes that tend to be louder than the standard ones which come on new bikes.

The Telegram contacted the department to find out what it’s done to address the concerns of councillors, who receive dozens of complaints every year.

According to an email from a spokesman, the department has “begun a cross-jurisdictional scan to look at how noise is being handled on the streets of other provinces and territories across Canada.”

The spokesman went on to say the department is also looking at national research being done by the Society of Automobile Engineers, as well as “considering other technologies which could assist law enforcement officials.”

The spokesman said he didn’t know when the research would be completed.

That’s not good enough for O’Leary.

“Every year there are letters written (to the province),” she said.

“The response, to me, is not concrete enough … . It’s still very vague.”

O’Leary said she loves motorcycles, but the after-market exhausts, which she blames for most of the noise complaints, have become a serious issue for people in residential areas downtown and close to it.

She said business owners and people who like to walk around downtown have also complained about the excessive noise.

“This is an ongoing theme, where the province really needs to step up to the bat,” she said.

“I don’t think this is really rocket science.”

O’Leary said she agrees with the province doing its research on the issue, but the province needs to let the city know the timeline of when that will be done.

She compared this issue to the ban on cosmetic pesticides.

O’Leary, and others, championed that ban for some time. The province only announced a ban on cosmetic pesticides this year.

O’Leary’s not sure what the city can do by itself, as it wouldn’t prevent motorcycle owners from going to another town or city to get the exhausts if they were only banned in the capital.

As far as O’Leary is aware, the RNC would also have trouble enforcing any rules without the proper provincial legislation.

Beyond the bother of the noise, she wonders if it also affects people’s hearing.

dbartlett@thetelegram.com

Organizations: Government Services, Society of Automobile Engineers

Geographic location: Canada

Comments

Comments

• chief
    August 25, 2011 - 22:22

Well ,wrong again "Bash`and ``Joseph Gof or(Joe blow`) ,what ever they call ya. I`m neither fat or bald. So sterio type who you like .making statements like you fellows do,paints a brainless picture. jo blow ``you sound like someone wanting to go into politics with all your mumbo on pot holes. the only pot you see is what your smoking by making such lame statements. get off your bannana Bike and go buy yourself a motor bike....

• Joseph Goe
    August 23, 2011 - 15:06

Hey Chief you've been smoking the pipe a little to much (so to speak) and should plug your mouth for the garbage that comes out. And as far as Airports, Jackhammers, trucks, street cleaners etc...they create noise usually during business hours for the good of everybody, i.e. Bringing tourists who provide a boost to the economy, transporting goods, fixing potholes, removing sand from road surfaces so you people on/in your obnoxiously loud bikes/cars don't get hurt when speeding around. Backyard Lawyer your wrong the Dept of Transportation can remove a vehicle from the highway if deemed to be a nuisance not to mention what the Dept of the Environment can do if you want to get technical.It is also amusing how some advocates for the obnoxious have resorted to name calling and what could be considered cyber bullying. Good Job Councillor O'leary.

• Bash
    August 23, 2011 - 14:42

After reading these post it easy to pick out the bike owners,...I personally feel like lassoing a couple mid-life crisis chaps all the time, look at me I have no hair and I'm fat but boy would you listen to my loud motorcycle,...these bikes are a nuisance, no one said you have to stop riding but be courteous to the people around you, and to pull things outta the air to start criticizing the point just feels like a cheap nah nah nah nah move from ignorant bikers who for some reason think they are being picked on, sure there's a lot of noise out there but have you heard the clack clack clack noises from these bikes and their Peter Fonda wannabe's.....

• chief
    August 23, 2011 - 13:18

Melissa, noise is a part of the world we live in, If you think your a Idiot,I cant help that . like I said before ,put ear plugs in when you go where there's noise (try the library,that's one of the places you could go for quiet) just saying.....

• Melissa T.
    August 22, 2011 - 12:06

Thanks CHIEF for letting us know what "idiots" we are for wanting a little more peace and quiet on our streets. For those of us who didn't want to say it, you pretty well epitomize the public's perception - not of responsible motorcycle operators - but of bikers who roar down the street, their hand constantly twisting the throttle on their souped up machines. Loud, vulgar, obnoxious, overgrown children trying to compensate for their shortcomings by yelling at the world 'Look at Me! - If I can't do much else, I can at least make a lot of noise". And for RL – that self-proclaimed ‘responsible mother of 2 ‘ who says it’s none of our business where or when she rides her noise maker – your kids are likely to show up in the doctor’s office twenty years from now with premature hearing loss. I hope O’Leary stays with this one until the politicians and policemen take it seriously.

• rl
      August 23, 2011 - 08:08

hahahaha! premature hearing loss???? seriously???? that is your argument? wow. you need to go find a plastic bubble to live in. make it a sound proof one.

• E
    August 22, 2011 - 10:51

HORRIBLE IGNORANT IDEA. if you're complaining about the noise, make it a decibel regulation (not just to motorcycles... ban loud music on the street, street cleaners, the trucks around Georgetown for the brewery, noise from the clubs, or exhaust noise/music from cars.) AND teach car drivers to be on the look out for motorcycles, as the extra loud exhaust is their defense against car driving morons who wouldn't know that the motorcycle is there except for the noise. oh and for those people complaining about ppl reving at 2-3in the am, have you ever bothered to call the cops or are you just whining?

• Pete
    August 22, 2011 - 09:28

Ban aftermarket pipes on bikes, cars and trucks that INCREASE the sound of the vehicle? YES. Don't let the HOG riders tell you it's for safety. Yeah a Harley rider concerned about safety? Riding a motorcycle with a skull cap helmet? Might as well be a ball hat for all the protection that that Skull Cap will do. If you're going to preach about motorcycle safety, you better have a full face helmet, wear a proper motorcycle jacket, gloves and boots every time you ride. Otherwise, safety to you is not your first and foremost concern. Unfortunately for most of the Harley Culture, the Harley Logo and "look/sound" is the higher priority. I've customized the crap out of my bike, but I have yet to see the need to put new pipes on it to make it louder. Yep, the Americanization of Canada, "me firsts and what I want - screw everyone else" selfish, rude, and ignorant attitudes. "If we can't have loud pipes, we'll stop fundraising" - how infantile, people this childish shouldn't have a vehicle license of ANY kind.

• K
      August 22, 2011 - 14:28

Pete - Seems as though you have anger Issues. With respect to noise, to be "Harley" specific would indeed be infantile of you Pete. You can't just target or discriminate about a particular noise. There are many noises that are bothersome to different people. Some are just more sensitive, and yes, that includes "some" motor cyclist, (notice i didn't say "all" pete), boom boxes in cars, loud music, City Council jack hammers, etc etc. I don't hear a word from all those new housing developments along side the airport. See where i'm going with this Pete. Check with your physician Pete, maybe he has a cure for that.

• Devils Advocate
    August 22, 2011 - 08:42

I have been a motorcycle rider, both on and off road, for the better part of 30 years and i absolutely agree with banning those annoyingly loud aftermarket straight pipes and performance exhausts. I ride an unmodified cruiser motorcycle now and to put blame solely on the exhaust is wrong. Several friends of mine have exhausts slightly louder than stock but they ride respectably. All of those loud motorcycles can be ridden quietly if so desired. All that needs to be done is to keep the RPMs low while in places where people live or frequent. The police need to enforce the law against the riders who blaze up and down Water Street and around subdivisions at all hours of the day and night. If you go to Coffee & Company you know what im talking about. A lot of these "Motorcycle Riders" ride there bikes downtown and ride up and down Water Street to get the attention they probably never got as a child. Then they park them in front of the store and sit outside drinking coffee all night watching the "babes" walk past them. There is one particular sport bike rider at Coffee & Company all the time who rides a Yamaha R1(i think) with a EXTREMELY LOUD performance pipe. Its bad enough that this bike is very loud but this guy is constantly pulling in the clutch and bouncing the RPMs off the rev limiter of the bike. I have no idea who this person is but the police need to knock on his door first!

• AB
    August 21, 2011 - 23:27

While we're on the topic of motorcycles and involving the province in changing the legislation, might there be any chance that they could look at establishing a minimum age limit for passengers too? This summer especially I have noticed an awful lot of child passengers on the backs of motorcycles and it terrifies me. How is it that a child up to age nine must be secured in a special seat while in the back seat of a car but there are no rules regarding sitting them exposed with no more than a helmet for protection on the back of a bike and doing 100 km down the Outer Ring????? It's seems so very very wrong.

• Loud&Proud
    August 21, 2011 - 21:17

oh my, get over it! It's a loud city! the music and disruption from George street on any given night of the week pales in comparison to the noise from after market exhausts. I'll take the 15 dollar ticket any day! I find it rediculous that this is what people have to worry about with the multitude of other issues that are WAY more important. Hey Councillor, why don't you start worrying about AFFORDABLE HOUSING, and getting on the news about that... MUCH MORE IMPORTANT don't cha think?????

• K
    August 21, 2011 - 20:57

So what about the City Council jack hammer in front of my door at 6:30 in the morning. What about those decibels ??? I’m a long time motorcyclist and a current Harley Owner with after market pipes and I certainly don’t consider my motorcycle to be an annoyance to people or other drivers. In fact, motorcycle riders are the most alert drivers on the roadways because a simple mistake can mean his/her life. The sound of my motorcycle has prevented many personal serious incidents from happening, simply because drivers don’t take the time to drive safely. Consequently, I’m forced to ride, thinking I’m invisible. I can assure you, with or without modifications, that if a motorcycle is driven safely and within the speed limits there is no noise problem, it is however the way in which the motorcycle is being driven. Unfortunately, motorcycle noise is automatically associated with Harley Davidson motorcycles. That is not the case these days. In addition to this you have on our roads, people with cars that have altered exhaust systems and boom boxes in cars that are much louder than any motorcycle noise. Does Sheila want to include this in her new law? This CAN NOT discriminate motorcycles. This issue stems from a few modified racing styled bikes, who’s riders are out at all hours and have no consideration for anyone, and yes, people do have a right to take issue with noise, similarly I would, if I had a noisy house neighbor. Hence, it is an enforcement issue. With regard to people who refer to riders being, noise making, fat old men who create nothing but trouble, may I remind them, that beyond that narrow point of view, the people riding these motorcycles are; policemen, politicians, nurses, doctors, lawyers, even city councilors(ooops...he's in Florida most of the year) and many business owners, not to mention the thousands of dollars they raise for charities. They are people who enjoy riding and the social lifestyle that it brings. The noisy rider at 2 or 3 in the morning is not a Harley rider, he’s to old, fat and lazy to ride at 2 or 3 in the morning. It's probably you Sheila at some granola gathering at 3am. "If You Don"t Ride, You Don't Know"

• Legislation exists already
    August 21, 2011 - 20:43

POLICE! DO YOUR JOB!

• CrownProsecutor
    August 21, 2011 - 19:47

Laughable issue! Here are some REAL FACTS for the HATERS and i hate motorcycles! First off if this issue becomes law it Can Not become a moving violation, which means if convicted 20 times you Can NOT lose even 1! demerit point! That has already been determined by our courts, this infraction does not meet that test. Secondly this infraction has to be equated to similar offences. This is straight from the highway traffic act and fine is for third and subsequent infraction; television visible to driver $57.50. Inadequate exhaust system $23.00. Vehicle not equipped with horn $23.00. Motorcycle with no headlight $23.00. Headlight emitting anything but white light $23.00. Sorry haters but loud exhaust is going to fall right in the middle here...... So from a LAW point of view take up the good fight but the perpertrators wont lose points and stand to take a 57.50 hit on a third and subsequent offence. Just a point of interest, if some one can afford a $30,000 cycle they can afford three or four of these tickets a day! I am a lawyer and am just presenting the facts, remember likeni said in the beginning i hate motorcyles, just trying to unbiased towards the ISSUE. ThankYou, Thoughts

• Jimmy
    August 21, 2011 - 19:42

Are you seriously saying that you need to rev your engines in front of my house at 3am in order to fundraise for our community? Honestly, O'Leary isn't complaining about good citizens. She is rightfully trying to find a solution to needless noise pollution. The bikers who insist on rev'ing their engines for no reason might get people to look at them - but usually with a frown of annoyance. If you feel the need to make noise to get attention, go find yourself a therapist and let the rest of us live in peace.

• Jim
    August 21, 2011 - 19:24

agree with this. These bikes are too much. get rid of them.

• nodog
    August 21, 2011 - 16:12

Instead, go after the dog owners and breeders around this city whose dogs bark all hours of the night. how many dogs are allowed per household anyway? does anyone know the law on that?

• Chief
    August 21, 2011 - 16:05

Too all the "Idiots" who want to ban loud motorcycles,I guess you will want the Airport moved too. And to Harley FAG ,you need to put your ears on the side of your head if you can't hear a loud bike coming toward you. I got the answer to the so called problem , ear plugs for all the sooky Phaggs out there....

• Maggy Carter
    August 21, 2011 - 11:39

O'Leary deserves credit for her sound position. Noise pollution is fast becoming a major problem in this province. The noise from motorcycles is particularly offensive because it is largely intentional and therefore avoidable. It is also damaging to human health. Even short bursts of noise above 80 db are a proven cause of hearing loss. Where I might disagree with councillor O'Leary is the need for new legislation. Section 195 (1) of the Highway Traffic Act already gives government the authority to regulate motor vehicle noise levels. Vehicle operators - motorcylists included - have been ticketed for violations in the past. The RNC already has digital loudness meters in its inventory of compliance equipment. To my knowledge, there have been no successful appeals from convictions under the existing regulations. It is true that certain other provinces have opted to raise the profile of this issue by passing new laws. In 2007 for example, BC passed a a very short and simple Motorcylce Noise Act which makes it illegal for motorcycles to exceed 85 db when operated in any area wherein the speed limit is under 60 kph. But the problem in this province is not the lack of legislation but the lack of enforcement. Police tend to ignore obvious infractions largely because, unlike speeding for example, there are no quotas set and because they personally don't view it as a major nuisance. Many policemen also own motorcycles and, although their own machines may be in compliance, they may be less inclined to ticket others in this close-knit fraternity (that is mere conjecture on my part of course). All it would take nevertheless is for the Minister of Justice to appear at a press conference with the head of the RNC and RCMP in this province to point out that the laws already on the books are going to be enforced consistently and aggressively beginning January 1, 2012, which gives offenders enough notice to remove the aftermarket eardrum busters from their bikes. We then need the media to follow up regularly with statistics on the number of charges laid and the number of convictions secured. Keep up the good work Ms. O'Leary.

• Lorn
      August 21, 2011 - 14:38

This is pathetic. So whats next, I am not going to able to use my snowblower in the winter becuase its too loud, I know i use that allot more than my motorcycle or cut my grass because my lawn mower is loud. Motorcyles are a part of our shot summer and there are bigger issues out there to be dealt with i.e texting when driving.

• Michael Barker
      August 21, 2011 - 15:17

I agree with you 100% Maggy. I live on Merrymeeting Road in the city centre. I play drums in my home sometimes and I have pads that I place I them so the sound is very muffled and yet I still noise complaints from neighbours. Oddly enough, motorcyclists ROAR up and down Merrymeeting road all the time this time of the year and literally shake the walls of my home and thats completely acceptable? If people in this city or province are going to get tough on noise pollution they should get tough on all of it equally. I got a warning letter stating harsh consequences for noise bylaw infractions, yet I wonder when the last time a motorcyclist got a citation for roaring up and down city streets in the evening? the province and the police should crack down on this ASAP. If you live in a rural neighbourhood then this may or may not have an impact on you, but try living downtown St. John's where the street is only feet from your bedroom. I find it very selfish and inconsiderate to intentionally advocate to have the right to generate noise levels like some of these motorcyles.

• TD
    August 21, 2011 - 10:58

How about instead of wasting the police forces time and efforts on something as silly as after market exhausts we try to get them to enforce the current traffic laws such cars running red and yellow lights, not stopping at stop sign, excessive speeds on our roads, passing in unsafe areas and all around unsafe driving habits of the drivers of this city. It's actually ridiculous the amount of times a day I see traffic laws being broken around this city and there's never any one around enforcing them.

• Joe Black
    August 21, 2011 - 08:09

O'Leary is right. There are some very good bike owners who drive within the rules of the road and do not use the noisy exhausts. Then there are those who have no respect for the bike and drive mad and those who think they are Zero percenters and drive around dressed like same and just love to crank those noisey exhausts. They are more to be pitied but all should be ticketed and have those noise polution things removed.

• M...
    August 21, 2011 - 07:31

All I got to say is "A few bad apples spoil the whole --- bunch"! Please , to all the bikers out there , ride responsibly and be considerate of others. I ride Water St all the time. I have 2 bikes with aftermarket exhausts and I putter up Water St like I'm riding a scooter. This is where this issue started. Not on Kenmount Rd or the Conception Bay highway. We don't need to "rev 'er up" on Water St. to be safe and save our lives. So if there's a decibel reading to be done by the police, then , Sheilagh ,say good bye to all the 18 wheelers and dump trucks too!!...

• justshutup
    August 20, 2011 - 21:10

As a mother of 3 small kids, I really don't apprecitate the very loud punks that go up and down my street at all hours reving anything on 2 or 4 wheels. I'm sick of going out to my 2 boys to put them back to sleep at 2 in the morning when a couple of motorbikes (usually choppers) "open up" on the little grade in front of my house. Also, all those cars that "thump" their car stereos on ear busting bass levels at all hours while cruising up and down the street. Makes for a great nights sleep when the summer comes. Some people have no respect for the quite injoyment of others.

• jayyydeee
    August 20, 2011 - 21:10

I work close to the downtown overpass, Everytime a bike goes thru it revs up loud to get the echo from the overpass. Because of this I cannot open a window or a door, the noise is just too great. And they do it just for the sake of the noise. If I had a car with no exhaust, I'd be pulled in pretty fast, why not motorcycles.

• Avalon Pothole Driver
    August 20, 2011 - 19:41

Great, yes please get these guys of the road. What a perfect idea to control the traffic since the other authorities are not doing much - cellphone use, speeding, running red lights, not stopping at intersections and not knowing how to operate a motor vehicle. These noise machines cars and motorcycles should be of the roads. Please use racetracks if you like motor sport and loud noise.

• DJ
    August 20, 2011 - 17:22

People love to complain about "Bikers" and how loud our bikes are blah blah blah. But no body complains about all the fundraising we all do and all the money we raise for the numerous charitys throughout the province. I work Hard, I pay allot of taxes, & I love my BIKE, & I love participating in events that help those who need help. Put some passion into helping people who actually need it, banning after market exhaust sales is not going to help anyone, especially our economy, if i want to spend my money on "such foolishness" well its my money let me spend it how i choose. :)

• Dwayne O'Reilly
      August 21, 2011 - 09:50

I really find it hard to believe that with the state of the economy, the graffiti all the city, pan handlers on every corner, and the mess that George street has become, that this is even on the table to be discussed. First of all I do ride a bike a Harley Davidson to be exact, and my bike does not make nearly as much noise as some of these small cars that put the after market exhausts on to make a 8 year old honda sound like a car in a movie that came out 8 years ago! I would tell the Ms O'Leary to look at bigger issues before rushing to put her name in in print. This is a complete waste of money on all accounts because it can't be policed. I work on the roads and highways of this province and if I had a dollar for every cell phone I seen being used while driving I would not need to work anymore. Enforce the laws you have first before clogging the system up with new ones!

• DJ you nob
      August 21, 2011 - 10:44

No one is saying anything about the hard work various clubs do to fundraise, but you're very selfish in taking the personally. I bet you don't take families with small children who may be in bed in the early evening, when you come home revving your bike waking up their children and generally being a public nuisance. How would you feel if you neighbour had his stereo basting at 2 in the morning. It’s funny how people are so selfish. You talk about it being your money, that's great, but when spending your money on something that effects other people we have a right to speak our minds and lobby for change. Suck it up princess.

• Marian Atkinson
    August 20, 2011 - 16:54

We have only a couple of months of the year when motorcycles can be used. A bit of noise can be tolerated for that period of time. I live near a main 4-lane road -- I can live with it -- its only for a few months. And as for complaining about the Harley motorcycles -- their sound is like music. Appreciate it! The party buses were much worse around here for a number of years. They were year round and the music and drinking during their stops were much worse than any motorcycle heading in or out Torbay Road.

• DYM
      August 20, 2011 - 18:39

Motorcycles are a part of summer deal with it. I dont hear anyone complaining about Snowblowers in winter. They are used for countless hours a day for months on end I am sure they make noise in your neighbourhoods. Get real please.

• Jake
      August 20, 2011 - 18:41

A wise Man once said : Pour me another tequilla Sheilagh....... lol

• ANSWER ME THIS
      August 21, 2011 - 20:40

Why the hell would you put a muffler on a bike to make it louder? Hey ! Look at me! I'm an idiot on a loud bike!

• rl
      August 22, 2011 - 07:55

well, i wasn't going to waste my time retaliating to the ridiculous close-minded opinions some people feel the need to express. however, here i am to defend myself. i am a responsible, loving mother of 2, and i ride a motorcycle!!!! that is if i ever get a free moment to do so in the short season we have here. it is my passion, and a hobby that i love. i don't appreciate being "clumped together" as a noise maker, being idiotic, or irresponsible. quite honestly, i don't care what those people think, i have the right to ride, and share the road with all the idiots who are cutting me off, speeding by me, etc. believe me, i want to be seen & heard around here - i take my life in my hands to do the very thing i've come to enjoy myself since i was a young girl riding on the back of a bike with my dad. do i have aftermarket pipes on my bike? you bet your sweet @ss i do! are they obnoxiously loud? no, but they do enhance harley's already rumble engine that makes it distinct from any other bike. am i sorry to have these pipes? no, because on mornings that i am riding home after a night at work saving your lives, and i'm caught in heavy fog - i want to be seen & heard so i make it home safely to my family. so, for all you people who can not bear a few seconds of noise as we drive by, i make a motion that you can't operate your snowblowers or lawnmowers during the day - it offends me because i work nights and you wake me up during the day with your constant noise. pretty stupid huh? oh, and if you want us off the roads, say goodbye to the fundraising we ride to do to raise awareness & money for YOUR loved ones. get a life, and find something really worthwhile to complain about.

• Ken
    August 20, 2011 - 16:41

Most, if not all of the City's Dump Trucks, Tractors and other Heavy Equipment are as loud or louder than most of the bikes riding around. if loud bike exhaust systems are to be banned, so should these vehicles.

• kent
    August 20, 2011 - 15:31

THese after-market mufflers shouldbe banned on cars and motor-cycles. It's just attempt at getting attention. They have the Water street area ruined with this noise pollution every summer. Get rid of them.... and to the balding middle-aged dufesses riding them, get a life!

• bay wop
    August 20, 2011 - 13:54

if yee dont like the noise go to yur cabins where yee enjoy all the comforts of freedom and noise reduction....don't cost you a penny in taxes there either!!! or put a time ban...........no piped bikes after 1130.....

• mtpearlfanatic
    August 20, 2011 - 13:47

I agree with getting the government to change the legistlation to restrict the exhaust system sound on cycles. Try living on a hill and listen to the cycles coming up full throttle. The pictures vibrate on the walls. The exhaust systems should be within the decibel level that Occupational Health and Safety set in their guidelines. Baffles should me made mandatory on all bikes. If you were driving your automobile without a muffler you would be ticketed before you got off the street. All motorized vehicles should be treated equally when in comes to public safety,

• you've got nothing else to complain about...
    August 20, 2011 - 13:18

Come on people... Yes some bikes/cars can be loud.. but they're driving and move away quickly! Its not like the offending bike/car is sitting in your driveway for 8 hrs a day revving up the motor... Should there be a noise limit? Yes, on bikes/cars alike for any noise, not just exhaust....to ban sales of aftermarket pipes is ludicrous

• Dave
    August 20, 2011 - 13:09

Yes please get rid of these silly noise makers. And for the owners of these motorcycles.....grow up!

• Springs
    August 20, 2011 - 13:07

Although our laws are different from yours, we in Maine have a similar problem with motorcycle noise pollution. However, we have made some progress in getting better laws enacted and we'll continue to work on that. There are two groups, Maine Citizens Against Loud Motorcycles and Maine Citizens For Quiet Motorvehicles, and both have Facebook pages.

• Leo Stamp
    August 20, 2011 - 12:43

It isn't just the motorcycles {NOT ALL} but also the Morons with the 600.00 exhaust systems on their so called Pick up trocks and cars. Plus the Sterio systems cranked so loud that you can hear and feel them a full city block away. Lets bring the fine up to $1,000.00 and 10 demerit points for your licence.

• highgate
    August 20, 2011 - 11:48

Alberta has a new police vehicle roaming around which records vehicle decibel levels,photographs the offending plate number and mails the offender a fat ticket. Interesting that the bike in your picture, a BMW is in my experience the very quietest on the road. Cars with the idiotic "boom boom badoom" stereos should be on the big fat ticket hit list as well.

• Bayman
    August 20, 2011 - 10:58

So what about those incredibly loud Harleys? They don't need aftermarket exhausts to loud, they're just loud due the monstrous engine on them. Does that mean we're going to ban them too? Personally, I do find loud bikes annoying at times, however banning aftermarket exhausts just because some of them are loud is not the answer. We're not Nazis, therefore we should have the freedom to customize motor vehicles as personally desired (within certain legal limits such as emissions, excessive horse power, etc).

• willyb
    August 20, 2011 - 10:55

When people get a few dollars it seems they think they can do what they like, pretend to be a biker buy a noisy bike and drive around like an idiot disturbing the whole neighborhood. To me this is just saying screw you take this unbelievably loud noise i'm trying to be cool like the guys on T.V. All the Police have to do is ticket them and then let them prove the bike or car is not too loud. 25 years ago the Police would have been all over you, Bikes Cars if it was loud you got a ticket. Basically this would be considered as unnecessary noise as these bikes are for joy riding and not used as transportation. I mean really this is about as rude as you can get . Keep up the good work Sheilagh. Oh maybe these clowns should go Hobby out the Highway and stop disturbing the peace tranquility of others.

• M&M
    August 20, 2011 - 10:44

Yes, please ban them, ban also the soup cans attached to crappy little cars and the racket makers used on snowmobiles.

• Benny
    August 20, 2011 - 10:27

I totally agree with the "complainers". I am one myself, and yes I do drive a motorcylce. However, there is nothing more disturbing or deafening than a Harley or two with modified (meaning little or no) exhaust systems with the revs maxed out, except maybe a nuclear explosion.

• Jacob
    August 20, 2011 - 10:19

Living on Freshwater road was ridiculous. The bikes were always the loudest vehicles on the road and are very frequent even in the evenings when regular traffic is lighter. The intense vibrations from some bikes seriously affects the quality of life for many the city's residents.

• Biker
    August 20, 2011 - 10:18

Hats off to Mallrat. You said it all. In every hobby whether it's classic cars, Off road clubs, Bike clubs etc. you have a few who push the envelope. But to direct this complaint only against motorcyclists is discriminating. We've (personally)biked for well over 30 years and there are many times we've had to almost go off the road to avoid other vehicles. Not sure if they don't see the bikes or what but "Loud Pipes do save lives". It's not a cliche statement. I believe there's an article in todays paper about a vehcile going off the road and into a fence just this morning as a result of the "LOUD" horn or siren from a fire truck frightening them. Drivers are not paying attention to their surroundings. If this driver didn't see a fire truck with lights flashing and sirens how do they expect to see a motorcycle. Be aware drivers. Drive defensively and be alert.

• cdb
    August 20, 2011 - 10:12

ok, here is my view, after reading all the comments thus far... I ride a motorcycle, and once you hit the road, you are invisible. The reason bikes have loud pipes is nott o be noticed in the sense of ooh look at me and my bike, but LOOK, I am here on a bike! Please see that you are not alone on the road. The pipes get you noticed and it helps to save a life! As for one comment basically saying it is ok for cruisers and not sport bikes ( which I ride, however refuse to do tricks and be stupid), how can that be allowed? Is it wrong that I drive a chevy and not a ford? You cannot allow it for one and not for another. The sound is generally no louder than a truck's jake breaks, and it is not going to damage your hearing if it is simply a minute or two exposure as a bike passes you, face it, you are not exposed to a steady stream of bikes for 8 hours a day constant. If you take away a louder type of pipe for a bike, which to me is part of safety features, it would equal taking away a drivers rearview and side mirrors, as well as their side windows. Also, if I lost my exhaust today and had to replace it, I can assure you that if a $150 louder system was available as opposed to a $300 stock system, I would be taking that louder system. Unless you ride, you can never understand, but at least think logically and put yourself in the shoes of a rider who knows how it feels to become invisible the moment they hit the road. We deserve a fighting chance too!

• Nonsense
      August 20, 2011 - 17:07

Come on, there is no way you can rationlise that the riders put these exhausts on for safety purposes. If you ride a bike the way it should be, then you will need no after market exhaust to do so safely. This is no more than a BS excuse.

• Bubba
    August 20, 2011 - 09:42

All vehicles should have a muffler/exhaust that meets minimum noise requirements. That is not hard to enforce with the right equipment. The idea that a loud exhaust makes me be seen is bogus, its actually distracting to everyone. Its another way for posers to stand out.

• AMD
    August 20, 2011 - 09:32

About bloody well time for this to happen to bikes and cars!! The ones doing this are morons who get some kinda charge out of this! Idiots! Bring in the law and quick before they drive us crazy expecially in the downtown area and at stop lights and signs! They don't have a grain of common sense and no consideration for others! They think they own the world when they straddle that bike!

• james
    August 20, 2011 - 09:31

ticket them for un necessary noise 500 dollars and let,s make some money

• darls
    August 20, 2011 - 08:56

people this is called common sense....if the police give them a couple of fines and the third time take their bikes...they will get it....i'm not understanding why these people have to be so rude.....downtown st.johns..wow...you walk up the street and some idiot comes up the street and if you don't look they rev up the engines and man are they loud...it's time for this city to wake up and these people in the cars and on loud motorcycles sdhould learn to RESPECT other peoples privacy.....have a great day...cheeers...

• TJ
    August 20, 2011 - 08:55

Good luck to ya misses! Ban sales? with the internet, ebay and all that stuff it aint going to happen. What about the loud cars and trucks? whats the difference there? As for pointing out the downtown area... what about the loud music from bars and concerts? the loud drunks? Police/Emergency vehicle sirens should we ban them to?

• Jody
    August 20, 2011 - 08:25

Yes get rid of them! The noise is disgusting. If you want people to notice you, put on some clean clothes and comb your hair. Deafening people will get you noticed alright... in all the wrong ways.... we all think your loud bikes are obnoxious and idiotic!

• flash
    August 20, 2011 - 08:23

Oleary needs something to do maybe get a babysitting job

• Harley Phagg
    August 20, 2011 - 08:03

The things that we have to do to keep the ''LOOK AT ME!!' crowd under control . Then again, I kinda sympathize with those poor souls whose only way to get their self esteem up is to get looks by offending others. Pretty pathetic actually. It's not the exhausts that need to be banned, it's the vehicle noise period. There are tons of examples of regulations already in effect to draw from in creating this. Why the foot dragging?

• Wince
    August 20, 2011 - 07:55

Get a life O'Leary.

• nobody
    August 20, 2011 - 07:54

What... A... Waste... Of... Time... (for Sheilagh, or any councilor. I don't mean this article)

• m
    August 20, 2011 - 07:52

• Stein
      August 20, 2011 - 11:56

M "If a ban is introduced, it had better apply to all vehicles, including cars. What is the difference between a loud motorcycle and a loud car. At least the bikers claim it improves their safety by alerting other traffic that they are near." Totally agree. like to know how they will enforce this as they cannot even enforce noise levels at bars after hours and house party's,. Really not a priority for the RNC.

• Mary
      August 21, 2011 - 09:40

I don't let it bother me, I've lived in the downtown for 50 yrs. I call it the sounds of summer, which we get so little of, my kids slept through it, I didn't have a problem with it, maybe I was just lucky.

• saucyshawn
    August 20, 2011 - 07:35

I agree and disagree at the same time. Being a professional truck driver, there are sections of the City where you cannot use an auxilary brake to assist with stopping our trucks, however, you could have a motorcycle with an individual who doesnt show the same respect for the citizens and reve the cycle to a rpm level that everyone in the neighborhood would recognize who is riding out. Its a matter of respect for the most part. I like motorcycles and the sound they make when it comes to the classics, like Harleys and Goldwings or what have you, but I am not into the crotch rockets that make obscene noise as they driver is trying to see how long he can stand up his/her cycle

• MallRat
    August 20, 2011 - 07:26

Good Luck Municipal Sheilagh! There are more bureaucrats riding loud Harley Davidson motorcycles than users of weed and feed. Don't see the teeth of this cause taking hold of the issue any time soon. Lets be honest here, when the St.Johns Folk Festival is held at its outdoor venue the rest of the city as well as the Citys law enforcement turn a blind eye to the massive amounts of marijuana being smoked! I am a witness and do not smoke myself. So perhaps that same blind eye will be afforded to those who take part in a Legal activity such as motorcycling. Fact is consider this; Loud Pipes Save Lives! In a city that has such horrible drivers these hobbyists have clearly discovered that their loud pipes warn all the people who roll stop signs that they are coming, and who really wants to die or lose a leg to someone who is in a rush and can't come to a full stop and actually look both ways. I don't ride myself but have friends, colleagues and know people in law enforcement who Do, 12 of those 15 people have modified exhaust systems. As a resident i agree some of those bikes are Loud but as a person i believe they reserve the right to their personal safety since No One else is watching out for them! Perhaps Sheilagh you can draw attention to the Hundreds of highway traffic act infractions that occur on Water Street any given day before someone is killed down there, and leave alone those who are riding for their lives!

• J
      August 20, 2011 - 09:58

Ha! "Loud Pipes Save Lives" -- do you have any actual evidence to back that up, or is it something that the motorcycle crowd made up so it would make the claim sound more credible? There should definitely be limitations placed on how loud motorcycles and other vehicles can be. My wife and her girlfriends have a good phrase for the motorcycles with the deafeningly loud exhaust systems and the obnoxiously large, jacked-up pick-up trucks that you can see any day of the week passing you at 140-150 KM/h on the Outer Ring Road: "the compensation package".

• Harley Phagg
      August 20, 2011 - 10:53

It didn't take long for the ''loud pipes save lives'' fallacy to be trotted out. That's been proven false time and time again. Exhaust pipes make the most noise behind the motorcycle, not in front of it. If riders wanted to use noise as a warning they would have to point their pipes forward to be effective. I've yet to see that mod. You rarely see these weekend warriors with modified pipes wearing bright visible clothing. They're usually done up in their cheap black screaming eagle gear trying to fit what they think is the appropriate image. FYI, I've been a rider for all of my life and the near misses that I have had were avoided by being prepared and driving defensively always. It's the attention hounds with no regard for others that give those that have a passion for riding a bad name.

• Gerry
    August 20, 2011 - 07:22

Good for you Sheilagh. I agree with you 100% and so do thousands of others. The people who operate/ride those noise machines have absolutely no concern or respect for other citizens. They have an interest only in bringing attention to themselves. The disruption to people's peace and quiet is becoming unbearable. On my street, in the West End of St. John's, the noise has become so intolerable it is a constant disturbance, so much so we don't even invite friends to visit us as often as we would like. It's too disruptive to enjoy company. What is more annoying is that the characters who operate the machines seem to get a special exhilirating high by reving their engines to the extreme when they are in quiet neighborhoods. It's as though they are teasing people intentionally. It's another form of bullying. Keep up the good work Sheilagh .... don't let this issue drop; and the Provincial Government should also get its act together and expedite a means by which the Police can deal with the situation without fuirther ado. It has already gone out of control.