Share your thoughts on 9-11

This Sept. 11 marks 10th anniversary of terrorist attacks

A file photo of the aftermath of planes hitting the twin towers of the World Trade Center in New York Sept. 11, 2001. — Photo by The Associated Press

It’s a day that changed the world as we know it.

The Sept. 11 terrorist attacks on the U.S. have had an impact on each of us.

Next Sunday marks the 10th anniversary of the tragedy and The Telegram will be running a number of related articles in the coming days.

We also want readers to share their memories and thoughts of the tragedy.

To tell us where they were, how they might have helped or how the 9-11 event has affected them, people can leave a note by posting your thoughts in the comments box below.

Organizations: The Telegram

Geographic location: U.S.

Comments

Comments

• GC
    October 12, 2011 - 08:47

I was on a Virgin Atlantic flight to Washington from heathrow London, we were diverted to Gander, and eventually spent the next few days at Gander Academy. It has been said so many time but the locals were wonderful, so were the businesses. Eventualy flew into Washington and decided ythat to go back to the UK was letting the terrerist win. So we collected an hire car and went on to enjoy a strange, but wonderful holiday. My thanks to the people of Gander and the crew of our Virgin flight.

• Sara
    September 17, 2011 - 21:18

I was on my morning break from work and I was listening to open line with Bill Rowe, he said that a plane had flown into the world trade center... a few minutes later he said the second plane had hit. When I went back to work(at a daycare) we turned on the tv and saw first hand the tragedy that was unfolding in new york and other places. When they announced that all the planes were being diverted to gander and st. john's we wondered if any of those planes had terrorists onboard and if we were going to be attacked.....I remember being outside with the children and everyone looking up in the sky with fear everytime we heard a plane fly over.....very scary indeed.

• Andrew Randell
    September 11, 2011 - 15:37

I was eighteen years old at the time. I had just woken up and was coming down stairs for breakfast. I had just recently finished my first summer job after finishing High School. I saw my dad lying on th couch watching the news. I said good morning to him, and he called me over to watch the news because something was going on in the states. When I first started watching it, I thought this had to be some kind of trailer for a new movie...unfortunately, it was nothing of the sort. My father and I were glued to the set for all of the morning and well into the late afternoon, watching the tragedy unfold and thinking "there's no way this can be real...can it?"

• Carol E. Parsons
    September 10, 2011 - 15:04

Sept 11 found me looking at the US breaking news on my TV with disbelief and the repeated shots of the Two Towers being hit and the devestation that followed. Here in Nfld, in St. John's, as US air space was closed, Emergency action Plans went into place to handle the diverted flights, 27 planes landed here at the St. John's International Airport with well over 4200 passengers and crew members having to disembark their planes. They had check out each plane and piece of luggage before they were cleared and deemed as safe to fly. I was part of one of the volunteer organisations called into assist where ever we were needed. Our contacts with the passengers of these flights were not as personal as those who landed in Gander, we had large centers available to house greater numbers of these passengers, but the effect on us was the same as everyone else, we had a desire to make the stay of these stranded passengers and crew one feel like they were in a safe place and that all around them were there to help in any way they could. Many passengers were facing a language barrier as English was not their first language, but a friendly face, a smile, and a steady shoulder to lean on, crossed that barrier with ease. Many friendships were forged during those few days and I know all stranded passengers who left Newfoundland after the planes were cleared to fly again, left with a little piece of NL in their heart and many fond memories of our kindness.

• Elizabeth Lavelle
      September 11, 2011 - 08:00

I was on Continental flight from Glasgow to Newark on 9/11 on my own,my husband was already in New Jersey visiting his sister and i was joining him. On the flight I was sitting between two gentlemen 'frank & Marty, we were across the Atlanic and i was thinking 'not long now before we land' when Frank said on my left (at the window) said over my head to Marty, there's something not right we are changing direction (my stomach junped to my mouth) i thought of God please don't let anything happen to me on my own. Just then the pilot announced that there was nothing wrong with the plane but that he had been instructed to land in Canada as there had been an incident in the USA mainland . There was calm on the plane but you could feel that people were concerned as lots of the passengers were US citizens. We eventually landed at St John's in New Foundland I can't remember how many planes were in front of us but it seemed a lot and there was more behind all landing, Frank said "there must be something wrong, this amont of planes don't land at St John's. Once we had landed the pilot explained that due to logistics and the nuber of planes laned it would take sometime to disembark, he then said in a very strained voice that US airspace had been closed and he was finding it difficult explaining why,he said was going to turn on the CNN news and allow us to hear what was happening. It was the most horrific atmosphere I have ever encountered, there was a silence and a disbelief in what we were hearing and then someone was crying, many of the passengers were from Manhatton they had family working in the Towers. It seemed like a longtime before we disembarked are we were not allowed take anything off the plane had a small bag(purse) only my wallet and comb and book. The welcome we received from the people of St John's was magnificient, it was as though they new we were arriving, they handled the movement of 100's of people so calmly and efficiently but with so much concern for those how were very upset. It was my first time in an ice Hockey stadium it felt so unreal. We were given food and access to phone's, the difficulty was getting through to the USA it was impossible and I was concerned that my husband would be worrying not knwing where I was. I dud manage to get through to my sister in Scotland to let my family know I was safe and in very good hands, and she said she would keep trying to get word to my husband. I think it was a few days before I was able to speak to him. I settled down once we got to the Cenference Hall which was to be our home for the next 5 or 6 days. sleeping with all these people was an experience especially with different languages but there as a sense of commaradery that helped make it easier and of course the people of St john's they actaully came in before going to there own work and made anserved us all breakfast and during the day other meals they never seemed to tire of helping us feel welcome, even providing toileteries etc because we had nothing of our own, The first day there i tokk a cab to do some shopping for change of clothes etc, it was cold and I was not suitable dressed with a light suit and high heeled boots. I bought heavy trousers and sweater and fleece with sensible walking shoes to all me to look around the town as i didn't want to just sit around the Centre all day doing nothing. I felt so safe in St John's and everywhere you went people would ask are you one of the refugees !!!! I also visited the beautiful Cathedral with Marty from the plane it was very memorable. I got friendly with the Tucker family who came to the Centre everyday helping with food etc. I had stayed in touch with Jocelyn Tucker and her parents form a few years but have lost touch in the las few years if anyone reads this who knows Jocelyn please pass on my email address to her. We were the last plane to leave St John's but we had a engine problem which meant we were delayed another few hours that was the first time in all these days that people began to get edgy and tthe anxieties of some of the passengers caused a bit of unpleasantness but the Captain managed to calm thiings down and the town once again came to our rescue by providing Pizza's and dirnks for everyone. It was great to land in Newark where my husband and family were waiting for me with giant balloons, I was safe but I will never forget watching the news reports duing the days we were in St John's and my heart went out to those passengers who were watching and wondering if there family and were safe or not. A BIG BiG Thank you to everyone in St John's for the many days of hard work they did to help people from many parts of the world feel safe and cared for and also, to those responsible for landing so many planes safely on a day no one should ever forget and for getting us to our eventual destinations safely. Elizabeth Lavelle, Wemyss Bay Scotland. I meant to say Marty one of my fellow travellers is visiting St John's this weekend. i hope to do so one day also.

• Karen
    September 10, 2011 - 14:26

As heartbreaking as it was to watch the TV coverage of NY City on 9/11, as a resident of St. John's, I witnessed some amazing and beautiful things that day, and for the week to follow. I was privileged to become a volunteer at Holy Heart, and meet some wonderful people who became stranded here. I also saw the absolute best in our own citizens who stopped their own lives to help strangers. We transformed Holy Heart into a shelter in hours, and then the first dazed passengers started to arrive. The Red Cross had provided some supplies, but places like Walmart opened their doors and gave us whatever they had. We covered people in curtains! Tim Hortons started delivering food and coffee that night, and there was always free food for people to eat. The cafeteria staff were in at 5am on the 12th and had a hot breakfast ready for anyone who wanted it. Then people from all over St. John's came over places to stay for stranded families and elderly. People brought clothes, toiletries, towels and food from their own homes. Aliant put in extra phone lines at the school so that people could phone long distance for free to let their loved ones know they were safe. One couple couldn't believe they didn't have to provide a credit card number, and said this is the only place on earth they would be treated so well. On the 3rd or 4th night we Screeched in some travellers, and made a "Honeymoon Suite" for a couple whose real honey moon had been interrupted. Everything supplied by local businesses who were more than happy to help. The people who were stranded here were so grateful and despite all they were going through, we never heard a complaint. It was a life changing experience to see so much good come out of an event that had been so devastating for others.

• Beth Holloway
    September 09, 2011 - 16:06

On September 11, 2001, I was nearing the end of a six-week vacation in Seattle, Washington. That morning I awoke early to the sounds of my Seattle friend calling from her bedroom. She screamed “Oh my God!” over and over. Thinking she was still asleep, I ran out to wake her from a nightmare only to discover not only was she awake but she was also watching TV. The nightmare, however, was real. “Oh my God!” She screamed again, tears welling up in her eyes. I alternated between watching her and watching the screen. As I saw the horror both on my friend’s face and the TV, I heard the heavy thunderous engines of fighter aircraft flying above us, reminding me that Seattle was home to one of the largest US air force bases in the US. It suddenly occurred to me that I was in a country that may soon be at war and that I was a very long way from home. Seattle, a city I had grown to love, now was a whole world from my home. Those horrible events reminded me how very far I was from the ocean and the salt sea air of Newfoundland and the people who made it home for me. But the distance lessened a little for me throughout that day as I saw the gentle, kind and generous people of my home quickly becoming heroes to hundreds of people who never heard of our province or its people before 9-11 and who were, like me, very far from home. — Beth Holloway

• Richard A. Mease
    September 07, 2011 - 16:40

September 11, 2001 was a lovely, warm, sunny morning. As we say, a great day to be alive. I was crossing the skywalk from the Annex to City Hall when my director approached me and said, "Come with me!" (…) We got into his jeep and he said, "We are going to the airport! Do you know the United States has been attacked and we may have issues to address at the airport." The United States has been attacked!!!" I exclaimed in horror. I served in the U.S. military during the Vietnam War period. I had dual U.S. and Canadian Citizenship. I have (foster) parents that lived on a farm in Penna. I can not explain the feeling in my stomach. I was shocked and then a feeling of fear. But I had learned that confidence and courage would over come fear. I wondered what did the airport in St. John's have to do with an attack in the U.S.? There weren't even any U.S. forces anymore in Nfld. What exactly was attacked? How big was it? All these questions went through my mind within a second. We arrived at the airport and went to the briefing room. I heard what had happened in New York and that the airspace was closed and that planes were already landing. The issues, we didn't know how long the airspace would be closed, how many planes would be landing or how many people we would have to look after or for how long or how. And then, who were on these flights... were there other terrorists aboard that hadn't had the chance to carry out their plans? My director told me to take a cab back to city hall, get my car and go set up the City's Emergency Operations Center (E.O.C.). Activate the primary teams, put the secondary on stand-by and the others on alert. I did as directed and in no time at all the respective representatives were taking their seats and the communications center was up and running. (…) The E.O.C. was chaired by the Prov. Min. of Mun. Affairs. He would go around the table and ask each representative or team member for any issues or concerns. They would be discussed and "to do" lists made up and assigned to an appropriate team member to pursue. The next briefing time would be set and we would be sent back to get an update on new issues and progress on the ones on the "to do" list. The issue of food and shelter was much different than Gander and Central. We had a convention center, Mile One, schools and church's and a plan. That aspect was not nearly as 'personal or intimate' or challenging as what was required in central. (…) Secondly, I want to say that while it is certainly appropriate to recognize and pay well deserved tribute, we can not become complacent or rest on our laurels. Life is ever changing and so fluid. New and unforseen risks come out of nowhere. Plans have to be developed and when developed they need to be kept up to date. (…) Sincerely, Richard A. Mease Emergency Preparedness Co-ordinator City of St. John's – Retired [NOTE: This comment has been edited for length]

• Debbie A
    September 07, 2011 - 08:43

The morning of 9/11 is was on the 13th floor of a building in Winston-Salem NC getting ready to start just another typical work day. It was really quiet in the office and I wondered where everyone was? Walking around to the back of the office I found my co-workers gathered at the door of a training room, and I asked what was going on. One of the girls looked towards me with a look of disbelief on her face and turned back to the tv and screamed, just as the 2nd plane hit the tower. We stood there for what seemed an eternity, watching the horror on tv, and shortly we were all sent home for the day. I spent the next 9 hrs sitting in my living room, crying my eyes out and sobbing while watching the news anchors try to keep it together to deliver the news. In the days to come, even after returning to work, much of my time was occupied with the news coverage, and the heartbreaking stories being told. In the midst of this heartbreak and chaos, there were moments during the coming days, when the horror of that day took a turn, and humanity at it's best was profiled on the news, and where else but my home of Newfoundland. The stories of generosity and of how so many Newfoundlanders opened their doors and their hearts to strangers in the aftermath of such horror, made it to the news across thousands of miles. I was so proud of my fellow Newfoundlanders, but also not surprised by their outpouring of generosity, as everyone knows that is what we are known for. To this day when people ask me where I am from, I proudly say Newfoundland, and yes the majority of them know where it is, and often mention the 9/11 tragedy and Newfoundland, and how wonderful the people were for what they did. So while I am far away in the US, my heart will always remain In Nfld,where our doors are always open, no one is a stranger and everyone is a friend. God Bless Newfoundland

• Cathy White
    September 06, 2011 - 17:11

I was working in Ottawa for the federal government. It was the first day of a PSAC strike. I was in management and - like some other managers - decided to take a day's cut in pay, rather than cross the picket line on the first day. So I was home watching the horror on about 5 news channels. I phoned everyone I knew, expecially my local relatives, and told them I loved them!! There was a bomb scare on Parliament Hill and I was sure that Ottawa was going to be attacked. All these years later, I wish I had not spent the day in anxiety, but instead said to myself: "I have no control over this crisis, so chill out. What will be will be." An important life lesson.

• Jim Roche
    September 06, 2011 - 15:22

On the morning on Sept 11, 2001 I was the Airport General Manger at St. John's International Airport. At the time we were involved in a major terminal re-development project. I remember being in a meeting with contractors / designers when I took a call from my son who was home watching TV and had seen a plane fly into an office tower in New York. I immediately switched on the TV in our meeting room, just in time to see a live shot of a second plane fly into the second tower. Within 20 minutes of seeing this horrific event I received a call from the St. John's Control Tower advising that because of the closure of our airspace we could expect to see 5 or 6 unscheduled aircraft that had been directed to land at the nearest airport. By noon hour we had 27 wide-body aircraft with approximately 2700 passengers waiting to deplane. For the next 32 hrs the staff at the airport, in conjunction with RNC, RCMP, CSIS, Canadian Customs and other Emergency Response Agencies went without sleep to ensure that these passenger were taken care off and made to feel welcome in our city. When I reminisce about this event and the impact it had on the lives of so many people, I feel a great sense of satisfaction that the staff of St. John's International Airport were well prepared and up to the challenge that day.

• Gail Chaulk
    September 06, 2011 - 14:53

I used to work on the Waterford River, and would get the - then - the number 11 bus to the Avalon Mall on my way home. On Sept. 11th, I passed a sporting goods store in the mall and saw a woman watching the television in the store. I glanced in and saw a plane crash into a building, I thought she was watching a movie or whatever. It was only when I got home that I realized it was not a movie, but real life. I will never forget that day, it did not affect me personally it just affected our whole world. Our world will never be the same.

• Wayne Pardy
    September 06, 2011 - 12:41

Mt experience was a little different than most Newfoundlanders when it comes to 911. On September 10, 2001, I was in Washington DC getting ready to return to the province after a business trip. One of the meetings was with the Federal Occupational Health Safety Administration, where we, and our US partner at the time, LabelMaster, were trying to seel the US government on our safety software. I can remember being on a tourist trolly in DC and going from monument to monument and seeing many plans flying over the Potomoc on September 9 and 10. It didn't register at the time, but something inside me noted that if something fell off one of those plans it would land smack in the middile of DC. I arrived home to SJN early in the morning of September, went into work the next day only to sit around the TV like everyone else looking at the surreal images. 1 day earlier and I would have been in washington for September 11. Interestingly enough, Liberty Mutual insurance, who were given the contract for safety and workers' compensation for the cleanup of the Mile Zero site, did use our software during the clean up phase, and we had an opportunity to go to new York on a coupl,e of occassions during the cleanup to see how our software was being used. So while it was a devestating event, it also carried some posistive aspects for the company at the time, Q5 Systems in that we were able to contribute in a positive way to the safety of the man and women who worked on 'the pile' as the guys from Liberty like to call it.

• Chris
    September 06, 2011 - 11:15

I remember watching the news before going to work the 8pm - 8am night shift at The wilds in Salmonier on Sept. 11th. When i wen to work, the hotel was empty of guests, and i received a phone call arounfd 8;30 from a guy claiming to be with delta Airlines and that he needed a place for his flight crews to stay. i was polite and told him how many rooms we had available, but i remember getting off the phone thinking what a jerk! imagine making prank calls today of all days. however, around 1 am City Wide showed up with a car full of crew and the driver told me to expect more. I cheked these 5 people in, and they were oblivious to what had happened because they were on the tarmac all day. heard "rumours" but nothing official like CNN, i opened the doors to the bar, turned on the tv, brewed some coffee and started checcking in the next wave of crew. Turns out some worked on a United flight that was grounded, so i'm surre they knew their co-workers. All night over 100 people sat in the bar and outside of crying and the occasional gasp, you culd hear a pin drop all night. it was very sad. They remained there all week and the other staff went so far as to loan them their cars so they could sight see and get away for a few hours, and take them home now and then for a home cooked meal. i remember a letter wrote to the telegram from one of the piolts, and he mentioned the guy who met them at the resort that night. It was touching.

• Tammy Brown
    September 04, 2011 - 16:20

I was living in St. John's, NL at the time. I remember how terrifying it was, and how utterly empty the feeling that day as we heard of plane after plane attacking. That feeling turned to hope and pride in the following days as Newfoundlanders rose to the challenge. Now I am a junior high school history teacher living in Los Angeles, California married to a Sergeant with the LAPD, the sacrifice of that day really hits home now on each anniversary. This year my students and I are hosting a prayer service in remembrance with Police and Firefighters as honored guests...and my students know all about NL's roll that day!!!

• Arthur Gingrich
    September 04, 2011 - 11:57

On 9-11 I was living in Ontario, working as a Tour Bus driver. I had just unloaded my passengers in Niagara-on-the-Lake and had gone to the back of my bus to lay down for a short rest, when my wife called on my cell phone, " the US has just been attacked" she told me excitedly. I couldn't believe it at first, but after turning on my TV, I sat in shock and utter amazement at what I saw. Soon my bus was full of other drivers, (many US drivers) who stared in stunned disbelief and quickly became concerned for loved ones at home and even wondered whether they would be able to get back home that evening. I'll never forget that day!! But the story I really want to share is that I am one of the few people who had the personal experience of visiting the actual site of the Twin Towers, onsite, after 9-11. In June 2002, I took a group of students from a small rural Ontario elementary school to NYC for a 3 day school trip. We were doing a tour of Manhattan with a local step-on guide when I was instructed to drop the group on the street above the Twin Tower site to hold a short wreath-laying ceremony in memory of those who lost their lives on that fateful day. (they had made a wreath for this occasion in class prior to the trip) My instructions were to slowly circle the block (because there was no parking ) and pick them up again at the same spot after the ceremony. After circling once, a teacher waved me to stop. I said "that didn't take long". No, he said, "we haven't done our ceremony yet. I think we're going onsite!" He was almost in shock and absolute disbelief! Apparently, when they asked a Police Officer for a suggestion of an appropriate site for their service, he made a few calls to his Superiors and said they'll take us onsite. Sure enough the kids returned to the bus. A Police car pulled up beside my bus and said "follow me". With a Police car in front and a Police car behind, lights flashing, we were escorted to the gate in the security fence around the site. There were heavily armed guards all around the site and a large crowd of onlookers. Two guards opened the gate and we were escorted in through the gate, across the Bailey bridge along the Southside Highway (which we saw many times in news photos). After parking the bus, we were escorted to a small platform overlooking the site where the kids held their wreath-laying ceremony. By this time, of course, all the debris had been cleared away and there was just a large hole where the Towers had stood. We could plainly see some of the remaining floors below the surface. We were on-site for approximately 20 minutes, then escorted back out onto the street. I can't even put into words the feeling of being on that actual site! It was breath-taking, almost like walking on hallowed, sacred ground. The kids will never forget that day!! The step-on guide could hardly contain her emotions. "No one gets onto this site! I can't belief they're taking us in! my co-workers will never belief this!" UInfortunately, I did not have a camera with me to capture that awesome, once-in-a-lifetime experience, although I suspect photos would not have been permitted for security reasons anyway. It was an experience I will never forget!

• Dave Armstrong
    September 03, 2011 - 19:12

Sept. 11, 2001, I was working at Pearson Int'l Airport. I had failed to watch the morning TV news hence I did not know what horrors had befallen New York City. In my car I was listening to Howard Stern venting, saying 'You bastards will pay for what you've done ...' & on & on. He also said if anyone wanted to leave the building or did not feel safe being there with him, he had no issues with them going home to be with family, especially with what had happened. I felt he had gone too far this time & punched up another station only to hear similiar reports. I initially began to wonder what was happening? Reports also were starting to filter in the FAA had ordered all aircraft over North American airspace down, immediately! Word was also coming out an American Airlines aircraft was the first aircraft to strike the WTC Tower & having worked with AA in the '90's, I wondered if I knew any of the crew members. Arriving at work was surreal: not an aircraft at a gate; however, in the infield & deicing pad area there many aircraft, some with tail colors Pearson did not normally handle. The check-in level was deserted at T3, everyone was clustered around small TV's at still closed bars! Walking to the crew room, the ramp was so quiet, I could hear birds! Inside our crew room, you could hear a pin drop, everyone was glued to the TV, watching in horror as replays of the second aircraft striking the other WTC Tower were played over. We were all on standby for any further diversions & roughly an hour later the phone rang & I was informed we would be handling a diverted Virgin Atlantic flight & as well was told of special cargo, a race car. We were briefed by police & army personnel on what was going to happen. The aircraft lands & is marshalled to a stop at its' assigned gate. When police & military personnel gave us the clearence to approach the Virgin Atlantic 747-400, the containers with luggage were removed/searched & finally cleared to be taken to International Inbounds. The cargo was offloaded & last to come off, the race car; it was a Ferrari F1 race car, Jean Alesi's #27! I will never forget this: it was sunny & not a cloud in the sky! The Ferrari was latched to a pallet & somehow word had filtered through Pearson of a F1 Ferrari race car being offloaded from a Virgin Atlantic 747-400 at T3. From the loader I was on, I looked down to the ramp as the race car was lowered to the dolly, there had to be nearly 500 airport employees watching & taking photos! For that fleeting moment, the shock/horror of what had happened in New York City only two hours earlier was pushed to the back of my mind. Reality however set back in quickly as Virgin Atlantic no longer flew into Toronto & this was not a mechanical or medical emergency! With all work done, back inside we began hearing how Gander & St. John's airports were taking almost every flight which had been on it's way across or partially across the North Atlantic. At Pearson several other diverted flights arrived during the morning hours. It was so surreal to walk around an airport & more or less not hear noise anywhere. Later in the morning, we heard about the other two aircraft hi-jackings & eventual crashes & again, another AA aircraft was involved; I only hoped I did not know any of the crew. September 11, 2001 will be a day I will never forget. As for the crew members of the two AA flights, I am happy to say, I did not know any of the crew members whom lost their lives that horrible day.

• Andy
      September 11, 2011 - 06:31

Hi Dave. I was on that Virgin flight, VS38 if my memory serves me right. We were on our way to Chicago, when the pilot told us he'd been asked to divert to Toronto. That's all he told us. When we landed he then explained the situation, there was a kind of mild hysteria on board especially with the American passengers. They kept us on board for a couple of hours and then let us off through a very confused and busy immigration where they photocopied our passports. I have to say the Canadians were great and treated us very well, far more so than the Americans, which was understandable I guess. The airline bussed us down to the Windsor/Detroit border, what a trip that was. ps thanks for telling us about the car, I never knew.

• BoB Murphy
    September 03, 2011 - 13:20

I remember being at work downtown highrise office building and a lot of people were very upset & scared when the planes hit. When all the planes landed at St.John's we watched bus loads of passangers being droped off at Mile One and it was very profound to all of us. But what I remember most was on the day of the hockey game I had a ticket and I was out side of Mile One and people were getting on buses across the street at the convention centre heading to trhe airport to go back home and I don't know why but i waved to them and showed them the peace sign and they waved backed and smiled. This will stay with me forever.

• Derek Brace
    September 03, 2011 - 09:57

There is a story about the 9-11 tragedy that hasn't been told. Although communities like Gander and Lewisporte have been deservingly credited for the hospitality shown to the stranded passengers, several other communities mobilized in preparation for the travelers who were grounded. For example, here in Botwood, several church groups and community service groups prepared for the arrival of these people with soup and sandwiches, blankets and cots, many people opening their homes to receive them. I know in our own house, my boys slept out in our garage loft that night in order to provide accommodations for some of the thousands of people who would be brought to our town. Many individuals sat up all night waiting to welcome for these weary travelers, but none showed up. It's just one of many examples of how our people have demonstrated the spirit of hospitality we have well earned in this province. It's also a little side story lost in the major accounts of this profound date in world history.

• Peter Wareham
    September 02, 2011 - 19:49

After 911 I learned that the CIA is correct when they teach about blow back. I also learned that indeed an interventionist foreign policy well lead to big problems at home. If our land was occupied by a foreign country I am sure acts of pure helplessness such has crashing a plane into a building would not be totally off the table. In fact I think 911 has changed my whole way of thinking about this great world we live in. Google Ron Paul!

• Jonell
    September 02, 2011 - 17:14

I was in the process of getting ready to head to DIA (Denver International Airport)to fly home. A friend of mine came out to the living room turned the tv on and said if I heard what I think I just heard on the radio you aren't going anywhere. She turned the tv on just in time for us to see the 2nd plane hit the tower... live. We were in shock at what we saw. All we could do was look at each other. With Denver being so close to NORAD there was alot of Air Force planes flying around at all hours. One got so close to the 3rd floor apartment that we could see the pilot. I finally was able to leave 5 days later. The mood at the airport and even on the plane was unbelievable. So quiet it was eerie. When the plane landed at my connecting airport everyone clapped their hands before they stood up to get off. People in the US say they will always remember where they were at the time the planes hit, but I always say it not just the Americans who will remember.

• doreen wiseman
    September 02, 2011 - 13:16

on sept 11 ,i was in my kitchen getting ready for wrk,still mourning my father who had passed away that june.my daughter came in and sd the towers had been hit by a airplane,i watched in horror at wat i saw.i could not comprhend how our world and people in it could [possibly without a conciences do this to other human beings.my heart ached that day for those people and their families and still do to this day.befor this happened me and my husband worked all the time our life was always so rushed,but since that day we relax more and take great comfort in our lives and our childrens lives knowing that this could b our last.may god bring peace and joy to all those families that hav lost someone due to tradgey.and may they find forgivness in their hearts knowing that god will b the final judge amen and god bless .

• Brian
    September 02, 2011 - 11:56

I was supposed to board a flight from Toronto to NYC when everything stopped at Pearson Airport. I couldn't fly home for 4 days. Newfoundlanders opened their hearts, the Delta Airport in T.O. charged me an outrageous fee. 9/11 changed the way I travel for the worst, extra fees and security. And at its very worst, I look at all people from the middle east with a sense of unease and mistrust. Unfortunate.

• jaydee
    September 02, 2011 - 11:07

I feel very bad for the people who lost loved ones in the tragedy. The thing that bothers me is everytime it is mentioned about all the help they received from nflders, it is about Lewisporte. St John's and other areas helped the people that time however we don't even get an honorable mention. I think thats sucks big time.

• Melissa
      September 09, 2011 - 20:13

Help came from many areas, but getting an honorable mention is not whats important. So what, if people knew they wouldn't get a thank you would it of stopped them from helping? I don't think so. Yes I think being recognized is always a good thing, to know your appreciated, but the point of helping was to help .. not to be mentioned and thanked later.