Comments

Comments

• Diane and Ray Hanley
    September 03, 2011 - 21:04

We know that Len and Peggy are sterling folks, and we know that St. John's is a wonderful place. God bless you all as you renew the bonds of friendship and help heal the sadness of the 911 anniversary.

• Brad Lush
    September 03, 2011 - 17:55

Welcome back Peggy and Leonard!

• Risa and Bruce
      September 06, 2011 - 20:14

What a great story!

• MBC
    September 03, 2011 - 13:12

As newfoundlanders it's just what we do for good people.

• Sarah
    September 03, 2011 - 11:13

I could be wrong, but I believe it was far more than 3000 people and 27 planes that landed in Newfoundland. Gander alone got about 7000.

• Phil
      September 04, 2011 - 06:35

There were 27 planes that landed in St. John's. I think Gander had around 35. I got called in to help park those planes that landed in St. John's on 9/11...certainly a day that I will never forget.

• Gwen
      September 04, 2011 - 06:40

You're absolutely right Sarah. A total of 37 planes with 6500 passengers landed in Gander alone, increasing Gander's population by 60%.

• Leonard and Peggy Kirschner
    September 03, 2011 - 10:26

Peggy and I are looking forward to returning to St. John's next week.

• Melissa
      September 03, 2011 - 21:30

What an amazing story!! Ashton and Cavell are so sweet and I was happy to see their names in the paper but not in the least bit surprised. I used to deliver the newspaper to them for years and that was more than 10 years ago. I always enjoyed having a chat with them and think of them often whenever I drive down their street on the way to my parents!! I hope you have another great trip here and meet more kind people....God Bless!!

• Geordie King
      September 03, 2011 - 22:29

This story illustrates the fact that even in the face of horrific tragedy, manmade or otherwise, there may and hopefully always will be acts of humanity which trump those of evil. I am an American fisherman who has visited "the rock" several times and have always found Newfoundlanders to be some of the most sincere, down to earth folks I've ever met. There were countless acts of humanity around the world in the wake of that event but none more honorable than those that you Newfoundalnders collectively displayed with open arms and hearts on the eve of that day. On this 10th anniversery of 9-11, I choose to not only remember those poor and unfortunate souls lost in that tragedy but also those such as yourselves that offer a beacon of hope in the darkest of times. Rock on Newfoundland!----