A trip to Newfoundland and Labrador turned tragic Monday morning when an eight-year-old boy visiting from Ontario died in St. John’s.
The Royal Newfoundland Constabulary was called by paramedics to a home on Ennis Avenue at
11:30 a.m. Monday. By the time officers arrived, the boy had already been transported to the Health Sciences Centre, where he was pronounced dead.
Police would not provide details on what events transpired prior to the boy’s death, but based on preliminary work conducted by the major crimes unit, the RNC said it does not consider the death to be suspicious.
“At this point, with the information that we do have, we do not believe that this is a suspicious death,” said Const. Suzanne FitzGerald, who added the office of the chief medical examiner will conduct its own investigation to determine the exact cause of death.
As of late Monday afternoon, the RNC’s major crimes unit was continuing to investigate the death.
FitzGerald said the boy and his family had travelled from Ontario to visit family in Newfoundland and Labrador.
“A parent should never have to go through this, losing a child, and out of direct respect for the family members, we’re not going to provide any details in terms of what transpired and how this eight-year-old died this morning.”