Comments

Comments

• Chie
    September 21, 2011 - 14:24

True reconcialitaion is achieved when a just action takes place. The stories of the victims are truly devastating, ... mere pardon is not enough. Let justice flow like a river for these victims!

• Mary
    September 21, 2011 - 12:59

The church allowed these people to hide and is now trying to make amends. We must all try to remember that it was not the Church who abused but the person. It is too bad that those in the Church who were not abusers hid their heads in the sand for so many years. Today, we as people know better and are trying to fix so many wrongs. I, fortunately , was not abused and was brought up in the Catholic Church, I am not religious but did as a child follow the Catholic way of life as a matter of fact I knew Monsigneur(Bishop) Lahey personally. Do I make excuses for his horrilble life? no. Is it the Church's fault he is that way? no. It is him, the so called man. He used the church to hide, thank goodness he was found. I am so very sorry to all those who were abused at the hands of these horrible people. Shame on those who hide in any organization pretending to care when all they are doing is waiting for their chance to hurt someone.

• JUST ME
    September 21, 2011 - 11:30

I am not Catholic but I do understand what "Derrick" meant but it didn't come out in a nice way. I remember growing up and where I lived was mostly catholics and the "priest" was always held in high regard. Not sure what it is like now in the catholic church but people, a priest is JUST A COMMON MAN, nothing more nothing less... and I think the problem is that priests are not allowed to marry (so wrong and so outdated) and a lot of priests joined the priesthood if they were Gay, or pedophiles. Now, I'm not tarring all priests with this brush as I am sure there are priests that join for the right reason. I do know catholics that do not follow the church anymore because they are turned from this type of behaviour that was allowed. Again, this type of behaviour happens in ALL churches, not just Catholic but seems that more focus is on the catholic priest. Does not matter what type of religion - if a person of the "cloth" or ANYBODY for that matter does this sort of action, they should be punished! Bottom line!

• taxpayertoo
    September 21, 2011 - 10:50

I think Derrick was referring to the fact that most Catholics were brainwahed into believing that the priests were always right. There has indeed been other cases of abuse in other religions but there is by far way more in the Catholic religion. From what I can see there has also been alot more of a cover up with the priests as well, not to mention the fact that the Catholic religion is one of the richest in the world while most of their flock are the poorest, something terribly wrong with that picture. Actually with all the goings on in the church I am surprised that anyone would even want to defend it!!

• Buffalo
    September 21, 2011 - 09:42

@MR.MOM -Seems you already have your "Glorious Religion" .If being a Catho. worked for you and all your relative, were very glad for you. But the thruth of the matter is, the experience was different with us NAtive People.

• Derrick
    September 21, 2011 - 09:07

Mr. Mom....yes, abuse is everywhere but the Catholic Church is the absolute worst. Do you really know if your parents were abused or not? Probably not because the terror instilled by the almight Priest prevents so many more not to come forward.

• carol ann rogers
    September 21, 2011 - 08:26

I remember when Mt. Cashel story broke and the shock that such attacks were occuring by priest was unbelievable. There was a commission of women who drafted recommendations to help the church put a stop to the abuse of children. The church put the recommendations on a shelf and the abuse went on. Now this commission has been collecting data since 2008. Everyone knew about the terrible way native people were treated. Everyone tut tuted. No one stood up and said NO MORE! We must all accept our own part of this and all abuse rendered against children . Don't think so. Well, if your white your part of the problem, because your sure not part of the solution. There is only one place to be on this moral issue. On the side of the rightous. We the majority, the people who had voting rights, the ones who owned the stores, ran the schools, we collectively let this happen, by not being outraged enough! A society is judged by the way they treat the most vulnerable, less fortunate citizens. Take a moment to reflect. How did we do? Not so great. Today I feel ashamed to be white.

• Red
    September 21, 2011 - 08:06

It hurts my heart to know how much you all suffered and how much you continue to hurt. I wish you all peace and pure happiness for you and yours.

• Derrick
    September 21, 2011 - 07:22

Another example of the almighty Priest. Seems like they were born and bred to abuse any way they please.....and fully supported by the Catholic Church. I'm so glad to wake up every day knowing none of my family are Catholic and never had to deal with such abuse.

• Mr.Mom
      September 21, 2011 - 08:34

@ Derrick- How hypocritical are you. You are glad you are not Catholic !!! I am a catholic as well as my parents and their parents. We weren't sexually abused nor did we sexual abuse another person. So what you are trying to say is that if you are Penecostal or Anglican or any other religion that sexual abuse doesnt happen in any other religion ??? Well if thats the case, can I be part of your glorious religion.