C.B.S. couple collects a cool $21 million

Lillian
Lillian Simmons

Linton and Olga Barnes speak with reporters Thursday following a ceremony to present them with a cheque for $21,071,873. They bought the sole winning ticket in Atlantic Canada for the multimillion-dollar prize. — Photo by Gary Hebbard/The Telegram

Linton and Olga Barnes of Conception Bay South boogied their way onto the concert stage on George Street in St. John’s Thursday to accept a giant Lotto 649 cheque for $21,071,873.

The cheque is the largest presented by the Atlantic Lottery Corp. in Atlantic Canada this year.

Linton said when he heard the winning numbers (3-8-15-16-20-46) for Sept. 24 on the radio, he asked his wife to check their ticket.

“She looked at it and said: ‘It’s us! It’s us! It’s us!’” he said.

Then she went to church.

“I was getting ready for church and I realized we’d won,” Olga  explained.

“But I just had to compose myself and just get out of the situation for a little while.

“It’s a good feeling, but still we were half-thinking we were looking at it wrong,” she told reporters after the couple accepted the giant cheque.

“When we found out it was true things sorta went through the roof,” her husband added.

Linton, 63, is a retired fire captain with St. John’s Regional Fire Department. Olga, 60, decided to retire from Canada Revenue Agency on the way over to pick up the cheque, her husband said.

They have two sons, a daughter and two granddaughters.

With their winnings, they plan to purchase a truck, travel more and spend more time with their grandchildren.

“We plan to share it with our family and we have some charities that we support, so it will be put to good use,” Olga said.

Meanwhile, according to Linton’s mom — also named Olga — the family is a large one.

“Linton is one of eight and Olga is one of nine,” she told the Telegram.

“It’s unbelievable for one person to win so much money,” she remarked. “I’m happy for them.”

The winning ticket was sold at North Atlantic Manuals Orange Store. The store received a cheque for $210,718.73 — one per cent of the prize.

Atlantic Lottery’s Jennifer Lawlor said that Wednesday night’s winning ticket for more than $120,000 was sold in Happy Valley-Goose Bay.

lilliansimmons7@gmail.com

Organizations: Atlantic Lottery, Regional Fire Department, Canada Revenue Agency North Atlantic Manuals Orange Store

Geographic location: George Street, Atlantic Canada, Happy Valley

Comments

Comments

• Justme
    October 01, 2011 - 01:32

They look like such a nice couple--I'm sure they will make a lot of people very happy by sharing their windfall. Congratulations and Good Luck!!!

• bernice armstrong
    September 30, 2011 - 16:07

So very nice to see it go to someone with a large family ......enjoy

• wayne harvey
    September 30, 2011 - 13:10

Hey "Dave", I already have more than enough money. I won a considerable jackpot in British Columbia a couple of years ago. As you have absolutely no imagination and ,I imagine, very little else, if you need a few bucks to continue your crusade to protect the nouveau riche. ,my wallet is always open. Love and kisses to you and to the winners of the 21,000,000,"Keep your stick on the ice: and good luck.

• Connie
    September 30, 2011 - 10:20

David, are you serious?!?!?!!? It was a joke, weirdo.

• Wilson
    September 30, 2011 - 09:56

Sounds like they were already fairly comfortable and now will be much more comfortable.It'd be nice to see an unemployed person with thousands in student loans and a mountain of debt or someone down on their luck win it for a change though.

• Little
    September 30, 2011 - 09:13

David, You need to get a life. Most of us with a sense of humor would see Wayne's comment as a joke, as I am sure it was. Get real if you think people would post their real address asking for money. As for the "greedy Newfie" generalization, I wouldn't dare insinuate that you must be an "ignorant mainlander". To Olga and Linton, it sounds like you have spent many hardworking years, and I hope you enjoy your good fortune to the fullest!

• Derrick
    September 30, 2011 - 08:31

Don't know these people but if I could pick someone to win (other than me or my family) it would be people like the Barnes family. Have fun folks.

• wayne harvey
    September 30, 2011 - 08:03

I live at 6 Gilham Crescent in Mount Pearl and I love you both.

• david
      September 30, 2011 - 08:42

WOW, I knew it wouldn't be long before the greedy Newfie's would step in and do anything they can do to sucker money from someone else. Dude you seriously need a life! It's their money, not yours!!

• sparky
    September 30, 2011 - 07:54

Very nice news,All-The-Best you guys!

• Mark Harnett
      September 30, 2011 - 08:36

Great news- enjoy your family and retirement!