Comments

Comments

• Stephanie
    March 24, 2012 - 01:39

I think this is a disgrace to how society is becoming. I myself have a 15 year old sister who got expelled for the amount of days she missed, she only missed those days because of the constant bullying the kids does to her, since she got in jr.high, it makes me sick to the stomach seeing my sister come home everyday, crying her eyes out because of the boys in her school who harrass her. I don't blame the parents completely, everyone is their own person, but when you have a child under your roof, under the age of 18, they aught to live by the rules! These kids around here, get off with everything! They put surveilance cameras in the schools to help them with the big vandellism problem they were dealing with, but they refused to lay any charges againts the kids "who are related to them"i.e cousin,neice,nephew,any blood or inlaw relation. It just showing them the wrong type of role how to behave in this society we do live in. Im always constantly reminding my sister to never fight violence with violence! I understand it must get very frusterating sometimes, with that and being a teenager, but always use your brain and common sense first. I also believe some children are more thick headed, meaning hard learning (from right and wrong) they all need to be taught in a different way, like most children have different learning abailtys, but yes! I do believe we need a good stern "Boot Camp" in Newfoundland, for the children who refuse to listen to their parents. It would be the best investment newfoundland would ever make. Also their needs to be options for parents out their whos children are victums of these violent acts. Sometimes calling the cops, doesnt help solve anything. Since their is no "Law" againts bullying. Said cst.greening ..whats the next step on standing up againts bullying, minors who committs serious crimes. And so forth. What, is next?

• Curious
    October 11, 2011 - 21:41

Here is a question that knowone has asked yet in all of this mess....Who is buying these 14 year old children the beer and booze in the first place? FYI: Parents who bring there children up right in the first place don't got control over their children they got something called respect...and the child do have to follow the parnets rules...if they go astray and persist and break the law by drinking under age then its the responsibility of the parents to call the police and have them picked up....parents do have the right to take control...problem is most are afraid to be a parent and inforce their parental rights to protect their children from themselves.

• VERY CONCERNED
    October 11, 2011 - 18:23

My heart goes out to the family of this girl. I read the story last week and was sick to my stomach over it as I know my daughter hung around in the area. When I questioned her about it I was relieved to hear that she was not involved but was actually one of the ones who helped the girl that night. Low and behold after dropping her off at a friends Friday night past I get a call around 9:00pm. All I heard was her crying and all I could understand was "I got jumped come get me" She was assaulted by six girls, pushed from behind and her head held in a puddle of water, kicked and also jumped on. When I got to her she was soaking wet from head to toe and looked like she had been put through a ringer. We spent most of the night at the Janeway but thankfully she was not as seriously injured as the other girl was. It is very scary to think what could have happened and the sad part is the kids are so afraid to tell on people for fear of being called a "Rat" and having even more people gang up on them. Something really needs to be done with the kids involved in these acts of pure violence before someone actually gets killed. The system is not addressing the issues at hand seriously enough and with all this election propaganda going on I think it's time our so leaders realize that our youth our future leaders are way out of control. This is the second incident in one week in the same area and really nothing being done about it. Without us as parents speaking out about it ....no one would would even know whats going on. So Sad.............Help Needed !!!!!

• Newfiesomeone
    October 11, 2011 - 10:29

I have an 18 year old son that was withdrawn from school 3 years ago because of his attendance and I kept him at home because he was being bullied, now his bullying was death threats and when I called the police and told them what was going on they said that there was nothing that could be done until something was done. When I called the school they said that there was nothing that they could do either until something was done. I thought that there was some kind of policy in the schools for this but I guess I was wrong. The teachers are afarid of the kids and there is no one there to protect anyone against these hoodlums. Maybe there should be more policing at the Junior and High Schools. I also think that there should be more punishment for these bullies other than just being suspended from school. Once they are back in school from being suspeneded they are only going to be worse than before.

• tammy quilliam
    October 11, 2011 - 09:20

if these young people 'go to the dance'they have to be prepared to pay the fiddler...nobody is forcing them to attend these drink and drug fest's.

• wayne
    October 11, 2011 - 09:13

parents have no ability to control teenage children anymore...and the kids know it. If you try to physically prevent your teenager from going out then YOU can be charged with assault. If you go to find them at a house party or a place like "the Log" and try to take them away YOU can be charged with assault. Lock them in their room and YOU can be charged. When the teenager breaks the law there is no consequence in the court system. If your teenager is doing OK in school , staying out of trouble and is not on drugs...thank God every day.

• Elizabeth
      October 11, 2011 - 19:25

If the child was raised properly from the start whereby parents taught them respect, gave them rules and limits and taught them what was acceptable and what was not it would become the norm by the teenage years and there would not be these issues to deal with. I have never had to drag my son away from anywhere, lock him up or prevent him from going out because he knew what was acceptable to me and that no meant no...from perhaps the age of two on...and now he is nineteen! All kids are not bad but I truly believe it is consistent parenting that makes the difference.

• Randall Stevens
    October 11, 2011 - 08:59

She shouldn't have been hanging out there in the first place. That's no excuse for the arse whooping, but hang around with dogs all the time and eventually you're going to get bitten. Come on, this young girl wasn't going down there for choir practice. Parents need to play a bigger role in their kids' lives as well, rather than just asking "where you going?" "OUT!". "When will you be back?" "LATER". Okay honey, see you soon.

• Hunter
    October 11, 2011 - 08:58

Been watching the hoodlums in our neighborhood get away with their alcohol and drug fueled foolishness for quite a while now. And as time goes on, it's getting worse. Back in January: Four of my neighbors had their property vandalized. One lady with around $3,000 in damage to her new car. That night, the RNC took some of the clan into custody while conducting interviews and taking pictures of boot prints in dented body panels. The culprits were released to their parents. And the police officers said, "These are all individuals who are known to us, but we can not lay charges without sufficient evidence". No-one could identify individuals from within the group as the guy who damaged the car. June, school closed.... And then it started. A minim of two nights per week of under-age drinking and loud rowdy conduct in and around our neighborhood. One night , a neighbor called the RNC eight consecutive times about a party taking place; it was keeping their small children from being able to sleep - actually had their little kids scared. After about two hours the police shut it down. Not one ticket for under-age drinking was issued by the RNC as these clows paraded around with open beer in their hands. The home owner was not challenged by the RNC for having this event take place on their property. And as these heavily intoxicated punks walked away, one was heard shouting for all to hear, "Shut our party down will ya - You'll pay the price for this!" ....A couple of nights later, they were at it again. Smashing their empty beer bottles; urinating on peoples property; and once again keeping us from a night's sleep. July.... At 5pm in the afternoon, a domestic dispute between two "tweens" (Part of the same bunch). Calls to the RNC yielded no action - Obviously the police had things of greater importance to attend to. Over an hour into the frey, the female party involved - Slashed her forearm opened in full view of small children who were at play in the immediate area. Wasn't long before our street was lined off with Police vehicles and and ambulance. We all did some foolish things while growing up. But this is not the Newfoundland I grew-up in. As a teenager, we had respect for our neighbors. We listened to our parents, if not we paid a price. And if we were out and about (up to no good) and the police showed up, then we hi-tailed it out of the area. Seems today there is a greater number of kids that are off the rails. Laws are lax. Enforcement officers are not able to adequately deal with situations because their hands are tied. And most parents are either too busy to adequately control their sons and daughters; or are in denial as to just how bad their kid really is. Our legislators need to take a very hard look at what is happening. And put some laws and regulations into effect. Something that gives the police and our judiciary something to enforce. Make parents accountable for their child's actions. ....If "little Johnny" gets caught for under-age drinking, his parents should be arrested so they can appear before a judge the next morning as a family.

• Elizabeth
      October 11, 2011 - 19:17

Well said!!!!

• SERIOUSLY
    October 11, 2011 - 08:56

Bullying?? No ladies and gentlemen --- VIOLENCE. We need to call it as it is and the guilty need to be dealt with accordingly. Never mind a slap on the wrist and behave type stuff. There need to be more appropriate outcomes for those who had any part in the assault. As frightened as this young girl and her family are --- they need to stand up. Violence in any form is UNACCEPTABLE. Good on those who stood up that night and pulled her to safety. Good on those who made the calls, got her to the hospital and got the police involved. The missing piece is for the others that were there that night --- who saw what happened. They need to come forward --- to stand up not only for this young girl but for others who've been through this type of ordeal, or that will go through. To stand up for themselves.

• Newfie
    October 11, 2011 - 08:44

This is becoming a more serious situation everyday. Snot nosed little punks who think its cool and fun to get high and/or drunk and take out there cranky little attitudes on someone they aren't too fond of. I am so sick and tired of watching these little dirtbags get off with it. They should be charged and stuck out in whitbourne for a week or dropped off into a special area at the drunk tank for teenage brats for a day or two. It only gets more serious with each incident. After a rough year of bullying (luckily with no assualts, just words and bull)in a local school, and a failed attempt at the first year of high school due to in attendance and skipping so as not to have to face the brats who picked on her, i myself removed my daughter from her school and transferred her to another school and area. She has since made new freinds and is excelling in her learning. But the principle and some teachers of this SO CALLED school were more interested in the fact that she was missing school and said if it continued that she would be asked to choose another school. When she approached the teachers to discuss a situation that had arisen on school grounds they called the other students into the office, (while she was there) which only made matters worse. So they decided they would razz her somemore outside of school. The school made it worse by doing it the way they did.UNBELEIVABLE. Any way these situations need to be dealt with more seriously or the assualts being made by the kids today will be the ones who are doing the stabbings and shootings later on. TAKE MORE SERIOUS ACTIONS LOCK THEM UP FOR A FEW WEEKS, in a place that they will REALLY get the point of their actions.

• Kevin Power
    October 11, 2011 - 08:36

It is unfortunate that this young girl got injured by being beaten up by a bunch of misbehaving teenagers. There is an issue at hand which needs to be considered more than the crime itself. It sounds like this happened on a school night. 14 years old and out at night, when she should have been home studying or doing something worthwhile, instead out in an area where under aged drinking and partying occurs. Sounds like a recipe for disaster in the making.

• JSP
    October 11, 2011 - 08:26

Its not always the parents fault. I have a teenage daughter myself and she is way out of control and I tried everything. I grounded her, took her phone keep her away from people nothing works. You can't lay your hands on you children or you will go to jail. So how do you control your children??

• newfie
      October 11, 2011 - 08:55

you are absolutley correct, its not always the fault of the parent. I have a great teenage dauhgter she has tons of super qualities , but she did manage to get tangled up with the wrong crowd? which are "A" students with good backgrounds and nice familys. I thought these kids were out bowling when i'd drop them off or at a friends house for a sleep over , only to learn that they would sneak a drink at friends before leaving to go out or take it with them in gatorade bottles in there purses before a dance. Taking the phone , no computer, grounded for a month. This stuff DOES NOT WORK....they do it again anyway. But it doesn't make it our faults, it just means teenagers are teenagers . We all did it , we just need to make sure if they are going to do it they know the serious consequences of what can happen if they go overboards with their drinks, and how booze can make them careless which is a recipe for disaster. They need to know that because tey are young and inexperienced that 1 or 2 beer,drinks,or coolers can be just enough to get them buzzed enough to be outside of there normal abilities and senses.

• Darlene
      October 11, 2011 - 09:36

I have a teenage son and he was out of control for years. I tried everything also, took his phone, grounded him, called the police myself. There was nothing I could do to stop him. I even called child protection services, to proctect him from himself. There is noting in the Act to protect a child from themselves. They took him and set him up in a bedsetting room with Men in thier 50's who are on social services and now he drinks with them and does drugs. He is so happy, he is 16 and has to follow no rules now!!

• flexxa
    October 11, 2011 - 08:04

...nothing new here in that when we were younger kids "beat the streets" too and sometimes got their hands on some booze and the rare fight broke out. The swarming though was something i don't remember happening. Bottom line parents should be more aware of where, who and what!

• MBC
    October 11, 2011 - 06:45

well, well, well....what a discussing event. The police have to find theses bullies and lay charges against the parents as well.

• Concerned
      October 11, 2011 - 09:35

Scary! For a teenage girl to be in a dangerous spot like that...how many more were there alongside her. The streets are not a place for hanging out, nor the woods and if a child is constantly hanging out in these areas, they have too much spare time on their hands. Boredom for a teenager is dangerous. It is not an issue for the school or the police, it is an issue with the kids themselves and those that guide them.