Accused murderer back in court

Rosie Mullaley
Send to a friend

Send this article to a friend.

Accused murderer Trevor Pardy becomes emotional after seeing his family members outside Courtroom No. 7 at provincial court in St. John’s Wednesday afternoon. — Photo by Rosie Gillingham/The Telegram

Trevor Pardy choked up when he saw his family.

Three women were huddled behind reporters, avoiding media cameras, but they made a point of greeting their brother and nephew.

“Hi Trevor,” his sister said to him as he was escorted out of Courtroom No. 7 at provincial court in St. John’s.

“Love you,” his other sister said.

Pardy acknowledged them, and his aunt, and held back tears as sheriff’s officers opened the door leading to the holding cells.

Pardy made a brief appearance in court Wednesday afternoon, about two weeks after he was arrested for murdering his girlfriend, Triffie Wadman.

It was sombre in the courtroom, where about a dozen of Wadman’s family and friends sat in the front row.

Pardy’s new lawyer, Jeff Brace, told the judge he was waiting for more police evidence. Crown prosecutor Iain Hollett confirmed he had recently received statements and audio recordings from the RNC and would give it to Brace by the end of the week.

The case will be back in court Oct. 31, when a date for a preliminary hearing could be set.

While Pardy was emotional Wednesday, he appeared physically stronger than he was during his last court appearance.

On Oct. 3, he had to be physically supported by two sheriff’s officers as he left the courtroom.

The 34-year-old Mount Pearl man faces a charge of first-degree murder in Wadman’s shooting death.

Pardy is accused of shooting the 30-year-old woman on Boggy Hall Place off Forbes Street in the Topsail Road area.

He was taken into custody after a four-hour armed standoff with police.

Witnesses called the RNC at around 1 a.m. on Oct. 1, reporting that a woman was lying in the street.

Neighbours reported hearing gunshots during a physical altercation.

Wadman — a native of Freshwater, Placentia Bay, who lived in St. John’s — was transported to hospital and treated for gunshot wounds.

She later died of her injuries.

During the standoff with Pardy, police closed off Topsail Road from Columbus Drive to Colville Place, with Forbes Street and Hazelwood Crescent also under surveillance.

The police removed a vehicle that they have said was owned by Pardy.

Several homes in the area were evacuated during the standoff in the interest of public safety.

With the help of a crisis negotiator, the incident ended at around 5:30 a.m., when officers physically brought Pardy down.

Pardy was not injured, but was taken to hospital due to a pre-existing medical condition.

No shots were fired during the standoff.

A firearm believed to have been used in the shooting of Wadman was recovered by police.

When his case was first called in court Oct. 1, Pardy participated via audio link from a private area in the hospital.

According to Pardy’s legal aid lawyer at the time, Pardy was having “suicidal inclinations.”

While he’s in custody, Pardy is not to have any contact with members of Wadman’s family.

Twitter: TelyCourt

Geographic location: Forbes Street, Topsail Road, Mount Pearl Freshwater Placentia Bay Colville Place

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Thanks for voting!

Top of page



Recent comments

  • meme
    October 20, 2011 - 21:53

    this will keep happening because anyone can kill and plead insanitity!! I fear everyday for my life but there is no help until somethjing happens!!

  • statjack
    October 20, 2011 - 13:46

    The idea that the province is becoming more and more unsafe is an illusion. We still have the lowest homicide rate in North America (0.8 / 100,000) (the Canadian average is 2.5 / 100,000) and it hasn't escalated over the last century. In fact, it has decreased. We do not have random acts of murder and as long as you're not participating in drug culture you are safe. All other murders are domestic. It's fear of outside influence that stirs this idea.

  • RB
    October 20, 2011 - 10:03

    Incredibly sad for both families. It must take a great deal of courage for his family to show their support for him, and equal courage for Ms. Wadman's family to have to sit in a courtroom facing him. Why would he have had a firearm in the first place? And what could have been so bad that would bring a relationship to gunfire? What are we coming to.

    • Walk-up Jack
      October 20, 2011 - 12:10

      NL has escaped much of this criminal activity for quite some time. But with the rich getting richer, the poor getting poorer, the middle class slowly dissapearing, the population increasing, and finally the drug use/availability exploding, we are coming to what every other city has always been. It's too sad to see where our city and province are heading. But until the equation goes back to the way it was (which it never will) we will forever be in this situation. RB, the question isn't what are we coming to, the question is where will it end?