One person killed in tractor-trailer accident

Clarenville RCMP remain on the scene of a fatal single-vehicle accident involving a tractor trailer on the Trans-Canada Highway near North West Brook.

One man died in the accident and another person received serious injuries.

The accident occurred Monday evening and the TCH was closed as the tractor trailer was partially on the road obstructing the highway. The accident scene is about 14 kilometres east of Clarenville.

Traffic signs have been diverting vehicles through North West Brook and Ivany's Cove. The RCMP advises motorists to slow down when approaching the area and to use caution. Signs have been posted to advise motorists to reduce speed as school buses picking up children are in the area.

Organizations: Trans-Canada Highway, RCMP

Geographic location: North West, Clarenville.Traffic

Comments

Comments

• Jackie Y
    October 27, 2011 - 11:59

Yo Mama- I fully understand your point, but this was not a multiple vehicle crash, it was a single vehicle involved.....therefore your comment is irrelevant in this situation. So sad to hear of this life cut short. RIP Bryan...and hope for a speedy recovery for Kayla!

• Jackie Y
    October 27, 2011 - 11:56

• barry
    October 26, 2011 - 17:01

I know this young man very well i am a vancouver based driver and we talked often i will miss you my friend rip

• barry
    October 26, 2011 - 16:59

• yo mama
    October 26, 2011 - 16:32

Dear telegram, Why do you keep refering to these collisions as "accidents"? When one vehicle collides with another someone is at fault, it's not an accident. Think about it, very simple.

• Sam
    October 26, 2011 - 15:20

It is a terrible accident, but i do not think we can assume speed was a factor before we know... We were not there so we should not assume! prayers go out to the family

• Sam
    October 26, 2011 - 15:20

• Gweff
    October 26, 2011 - 11:42

I know the victim and his family and I am truly saddened by this. This young man loved driving transport trucks and it was a lifelong passion for him. Our thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends and anyone who is affected by these sort of tragedies.

• Avalon Pothole Driver
    October 25, 2011 - 22:38

What a sad scene and how terrible for the relatives/family. In my opinion speed and long driving hours behind the wheel are most likely the cause for such a disaster. I am used to speed limits for transport- and dump trucks of 80km/h on major highways and 60km/h on smaller country roads. When driving on the TCH behind a truck speeds of 110-120km/h can be quite normal. Too fast and time for regulatory changes!

• Darryl
    October 25, 2011 - 20:28

I noticed the house in the background, know the spot quite well... I have travelled this road/route numerous times and I have to say it is a dangerous section/location,... I find my self speeding in this area, down hill, etc, without being a speedy driver, it's like it happens automaticially because of the structure of the road/route. It does not suprise me to hear about this since I have said too many times coming into that section what are you doing????,.... speeding without trying too.... Not saying speed was a factor but It is registered to be 100 km but you will notice that you will always succeed that speed and plus 120-135 when you hit that section even for the most caustious driver... My prayers for the victims

• dennis
    October 25, 2011 - 17:58

i knew him and all he wanted to do was drive. to his dad (a friend) you are in my thoughts and prayers. i pray the young lady recovers. god speed brian

• Casey
    October 25, 2011 - 09:45

Rest in Peace Bryan. We all love you!

• Justin
    October 25, 2011 - 09:00

I was out there on the scene last night just after the accident occurred. I just wanted to post a thank-you to the enormous number of motorist who stopped to render aid. Newfoundlanders have a reputation for being very caring, and they lived up to their reputation last night. I will keep the family of the deceased, and the survivor of the accident, in my prayers.

• Merle Allan
      October 25, 2011 - 11:34

I knew the man who passed,and would like to thank everyone there who helped last night.He was a good dude.RIP B.N

• Justin
    October 25, 2011 - 08:59

• Willie Hunt Pouch Cove NL
    October 25, 2011 - 08:17

When i was haulin' freight, and that wasn't yesterday, that area was the most colorful in the fall. You had to have eyes in the back of you're head to watch for folks pulling over to took a picture. I had to use jake brakes more than once to keep the ol' Frieghliner on the tar. If your doing a night time crossing this time of year you are better off topping up your coffee cup and cracking you're window open a bit! Willie Hunt Pouch Cove NL