Canadian soldier among 13 NATO dead in Kabul suicide bombing: military official

The Canadian Press ~ OBJ
Send to a friend

Send this article to a friend.

OTTAWA — A Canadian soldier is among the dead after a Taliban suicide bomber rammed his vehicle into an armoured NATO bus that was travelling between bases in Kabul today.

A senior Canadian military officer told The Canadian Press that the Defence Department has notified the family of the soldier, but has yet to authorize the release of the name.

The attack along a busy thoroughfare in the Afghan capital killed a total of 13 NATO troops and four Afghans, and counts among the deadliest attacks on coalition troops in more than two months.

At first, NATO officials in Kabul said that all of the coalition casualties were American, but the senior Canadian officer speaking on background in Ottawa said that wasn’t the case.

The death is the first since Canadian combat operations in Kandahar ended earlier this year and the new training mission involving 920 soldiers began.

The Afghan capital has been an increasing target for the Taliban, which has staged a number of spectacular attacks.

Organizations: NATO, Taliban, Canadian Press Defence Department

Geographic location: Kabul, OTTAWA, Kandahar

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Thanks for voting!

Top of page

Comments

Comments

Recent comments

  • Anon
    October 29, 2011 - 18:47

    If that same bomber were in Libya, he'd be a hero of the rebel forces supported by NATO. Wake up people. End the war and get the hell out of the middle east. The price of oil should not include Canadian Soldiers.