Comments

Comments

• Steph
    November 17, 2011 - 15:09

I think the people here who are saying that there is more to this than meets the eye and that the couple aren't as innocent as they look are being ridiculous! The fact that their nephew was in prison, or how he made that money has nothing to do with the fact that their home was invaded! And a lot of older people don't trust banks, and keep money in their homes so there is nothing weird about the fact that they had money at home. I hope the Carey's can now feel safe in their home knowing that these sad excuses for people will be put away for what they did to them!

• mjc
    November 17, 2011 - 00:01

I would of like to have seen those piece of s... never see the light of day.How can they call themselves men,a real man would never lay there hands on a woman. at least they got more time than i expected the judge would give them.They will have lot's of time now to think what they did to that family. Merry christmas Scum's and I hope one day you will repay.I hope you carey family have a wonderful christmas and you can go on with your lives..God Bless you

• stephen
    November 16, 2011 - 17:33

4 grand in a baggie eh? locked up newphew eh? I would like for this couple to have to tell how this 4000 was made? If I were offered 4000 in cash,while my nephew was going to jail,I would have called the police or said I do not want any part of this because someone could come looking for it and crack me on the head with a hammer. If it looks like a hot dog and smells like a hot dog.............I just think the whole picture was not presented here.

• S R
    November 16, 2011 - 13:29

I have to agree with "Details" I noticed about the nephew as well... so why is he not scum if he is in jail and why would you hold that amount of cash in a baggie? CRAZY!! That's what banks are for unless the money was from some sort of underhanded operation??

• MS
    November 16, 2011 - 13:05

It's just another sad day , Our system is so ass backwards.. Sure they got less than murder's ..WTF !!!!! What is wrong with this world ... If they can make such choices at the age they are at now when they gets out after being in prision it's only gonna be worse ...Cause going to jail dont change who you are and its even worse in there trying to keep the peace .. Our System Sucks and It needs to be totally FIXED .. I hope to god when my children are on their own that this place we all once loved is a much better place to be -Wishful Thinking !!!! I hope the Carey's are doing somewhat good from the crap they had to endure and that Someday they can return to somewhat normal Lives again ... Deserves More than 8 Freaking years and all 4 of the above mentioned should have gotten life ..It was their Intention wasn't it ? Low Life Scums isn't even the Word for those Kinda People ...

• Details
    November 16, 2011 - 12:40

Everyone seems to be overlooking particular details in this story: "She handed over $4,000, which was kept in a plastic baggie. She said the money belonged to her nephew who was incarcerated at Her Majesty’s Penitentiary." Several red flags go up for me in this statement. There are always two sides to every story, and I believe that total innocence may not be the case in this situation.

• More Than Meets the Eye
      November 16, 2011 - 14:01

$4,000 kept in a plastic baggie belonging to her nephew who was incarcerated at Her Majesty's Penitentiary..............................I guess this was the money her newphew saved from selling papers and she was so kind to hold on to it for him while he was away. !! Innocent victims? I think not.

• Mike
    November 16, 2011 - 10:13

How much of the eight years will actually be served? Less than half? What a wonderful justice sytem we have.

• B
    November 16, 2011 - 10:01

I am so sorry for the Carey's to have to deal with an ordeal. To have to go through such a catastrophic, horrendous dilemma and live with it for the rest of their lives. No time will take the pain and suffering they had to endure. These scurm should have been put in jail for life not just 8 ridiculous years. (Another slap on the hands and go out and do it again, thanks to the justice system!!!!!!) The brutality that these scum used was unrealistic. Hey scrum, wait til they get you in jail. See if you will have a smile on your face then.

• Kevin Power
    November 16, 2011 - 08:37

Certainly right about have scum off the streets. St. John's is certainly a much safer city with these low lives locked up. Another colossal failure X 4 for these repeat offenders who have worked their way through the Young Offenders Act and graduated to the big time.

• Wow
    November 16, 2011 - 08:00

My heart goes out to the Carey family. They seem to have lived an absolute nightmare, and I imagine it will take years for those scars to heal. One of my biggest fears would be to have somebody invade my home and terrorize me and my belongings. It is just such a violation, and your home is the one place you should always feel SAFE in. I'm glad to see these young men heading to prison, maybe a few years there will give them a new perspective. I hope they get some counselling in there...

• JP
    November 16, 2011 - 06:56

I'd like to commend Mr. Carey for speaking out on behalf of his wife and himself. Too often victim's of crimes are forgotten. I hope the last person(I dare not call him a man!) to be dealt with by the courts gets the same range of jail time as the other two. I'm equally happy to read that both Mr. and Mrs. Carey are getting treatment for their mental anguish and terror they experienced. Many people don't realize that victim's of crime are victim's for a long time afterwards, not just at the moment of the crime!!!