Victim relieved assailant involved in violent home invasion gets eight-year jail term

Rosie
Rosie Mullaley

Stephen Peter Clowe was sentenced to eight years in prison Monday at provincial court in St. John’s Monday. Clowe was involved in a violent home invasion on Mackenzie Street in April 2009. — Photo by Rosie Gillingham/The Telegram

He watched helplessly as his wife was dragged across the house by her hair, while he was beaten with a hammer and left bleeding on the floor.

Two-and-a-half years after he and his wife were brutally attacked and robbed in their Mackenzie Street home, Dave Carey’s emotional scars are still visible.

His eyes filled with tears and he struggled to get the words out when asked how the incident changed his life.

“Oh God. You got an hour?” asked Carey, who is still under a doctor’s care. “It’s changed my life drastically. … I don’t let anybody into my door. I’ve got video cameras all over my house. … I sleep with one eye open and one eye closed.”

Surrounded by reporters outside provincial court in St. John’s Tuesday, Carey had just come from Courtroom No. 6, where one of his assailants — Stephen Peter Clowe — was sentenced.

Clowe was given an eight-year jail term after pleading guilty to a charge of break and enter with intent to commit a robbery.

The 27-year-old was given 166 days of time served for charges of breaching court orders.

“The public is a lot safer with this scum off the streets,” Carey said. “I feel good now that it’s over.”

But the memories of what happened the night of April 13, 2009, have never left his mind.

It was Easter Sunday and Georgina Carey was cleaning up from supper and making last-minute preparations for their trip to the Dominican Republic, where their daughter was to be married, when a knock came at the front door.

When she opened the door, a man pushed it in on her, threw her on the floor, pinned her down and covered her mouth.

He then pulled out a gun and held it to her head.

Dave Carey had been in bed, but came out when he heard the commotion.

Two of the other men attacked him, saying “Shut the f--k up” or else they would “blow her head off,” referring to his wife.

Dave tried to fight the men and even put his fingers in the mouth of one of the three men, in an attempt to stop him. But Dave was hit several times with a hammer, including once in the head.

The men demanded money and when Georgina said it was in the bedroom, one of them dragged her in the room by the hair.

The three men then ran out of the house. She rushed to her husband, who was lying on the floor bleeding, and called 911.

Dave Carey was taken to hospital, where he was treated with stitches for a gash on his head.

Later, Georgina was shown a photo lineup, but couldn’t identified any of the men.

It was only after she returned from her trip that she saw pictures in The Telegram of the men arrested for the home invasion and recognized them, one of whom was wearing the same coat he had on during the invasion.

As a result of their investigation, police arrested Clowe, Dean Lewis, Gordon Bishop and Rene Paul Seers.

Lewis knew the Careys’ nephew and knew about the money. He didn’t take part in the home invasion, but showed the other men where the house was.

Following a trial in 2009, Lewis was found guilty of break and enter with intent to commit robbery and was sentenced to 9 1/2 years in jail. With time served, he had eight years left to serve on his term.

Charges against Bishop were recently dropped.

Seers is expected to plead guilty to break and enter with the intent to commit robbery, and one count of breaching probation. His case will be called in court next week.

Carey said he and his wife will be there to see the last of their assailants’ court cases wrap up.

Judge David Orr went along with the eight-year jail term for Clowe after Crown prosecutor Sheldon Steeves and defence counsel James Goodwin came to an agreement.

Orr believed it was an appropriate sentence, given the seriousness of the offence and the impact it had on the victims. It also took into consideration Clowe’s guilty plea and his young age, he said.

When Clowe was given the chance to speak, he stood and said quickly, “I’m sorry for what happened. I shouldn’t have had any part of it and I deserve what (sentence) I’m given today.”

But Carey didn’t accept that.

“These are dangerous people and I’m just glad (he) got eight years. When they get out, there’s no telling what they’ll do,” he told reporters.

“I don’t think the public is safe with these people on the loose.”

rgillingham@thetelegram.com Twitter: TelyCourt

Organizations: Dominican Republic

Geographic location: Mackenzie Street

Comments

Comments

• Steph
    November 17, 2011 - 15:09

I think the people here who are saying that there is more to this than meets the eye and that the couple aren't as innocent as they look are being ridiculous! The fact that their nephew was in prison, or how he made that money has nothing to do with the fact that their home was invaded! And a lot of older people don't trust banks, and keep money in their homes so there is nothing weird about the fact that they had money at home. I hope the Carey's can now feel safe in their home knowing that these sad excuses for people will be put away for what they did to them!

• mjc
    November 17, 2011 - 00:01

I would of like to have seen those piece of s... never see the light of day.How can they call themselves men,a real man would never lay there hands on a woman. at least they got more time than i expected the judge would give them.They will have lot's of time now to think what they did to that family. Merry christmas Scum's and I hope one day you will repay.I hope you carey family have a wonderful christmas and you can go on with your lives..God Bless you

• stephen
    November 16, 2011 - 17:33

4 grand in a baggie eh? locked up newphew eh? I would like for this couple to have to tell how this 4000 was made? If I were offered 4000 in cash,while my nephew was going to jail,I would have called the police or said I do not want any part of this because someone could come looking for it and crack me on the head with a hammer. If it looks like a hot dog and smells like a hot dog.............I just think the whole picture was not presented here.

• S R
    November 16, 2011 - 13:29

I have to agree with "Details" I noticed about the nephew as well... so why is he not scum if he is in jail and why would you hold that amount of cash in a baggie? CRAZY!! That's what banks are for unless the money was from some sort of underhanded operation??

• MS
    November 16, 2011 - 13:05

It's just another sad day , Our system is so ass backwards.. Sure they got less than murder's ..WTF !!!!! What is wrong with this world ... If they can make such choices at the age they are at now when they gets out after being in prision it's only gonna be worse ...Cause going to jail dont change who you are and its even worse in there trying to keep the peace .. Our System Sucks and It needs to be totally FIXED .. I hope to god when my children are on their own that this place we all once loved is a much better place to be -Wishful Thinking !!!! I hope the Carey's are doing somewhat good from the crap they had to endure and that Someday they can return to somewhat normal Lives again ... Deserves More than 8 Freaking years and all 4 of the above mentioned should have gotten life ..It was their Intention wasn't it ? Low Life Scums isn't even the Word for those Kinda People ...

• Details
    November 16, 2011 - 12:40

Everyone seems to be overlooking particular details in this story: "She handed over $4,000, which was kept in a plastic baggie. She said the money belonged to her nephew who was incarcerated at Her Majesty’s Penitentiary." Several red flags go up for me in this statement. There are always two sides to every story, and I believe that total innocence may not be the case in this situation.

• More Than Meets the Eye
      November 16, 2011 - 14:01

$4,000 kept in a plastic baggie belonging to her nephew who was incarcerated at Her Majesty's Penitentiary..............................I guess this was the money her newphew saved from selling papers and she was so kind to hold on to it for him while he was away. !! Innocent victims? I think not.

• Mike
    November 16, 2011 - 10:13

How much of the eight years will actually be served? Less than half? What a wonderful justice sytem we have.

• B
    November 16, 2011 - 10:01

I am so sorry for the Carey's to have to deal with an ordeal. To have to go through such a catastrophic, horrendous dilemma and live with it for the rest of their lives. No time will take the pain and suffering they had to endure. These scurm should have been put in jail for life not just 8 ridiculous years. (Another slap on the hands and go out and do it again, thanks to the justice system!!!!!!) The brutality that these scum used was unrealistic. Hey scrum, wait til they get you in jail. See if you will have a smile on your face then.

• Kevin Power
    November 16, 2011 - 08:37

Certainly right about have scum off the streets. St. John's is certainly a much safer city with these low lives locked up. Another colossal failure X 4 for these repeat offenders who have worked their way through the Young Offenders Act and graduated to the big time.

• Wow
    November 16, 2011 - 08:00

My heart goes out to the Carey family. They seem to have lived an absolute nightmare, and I imagine it will take years for those scars to heal. One of my biggest fears would be to have somebody invade my home and terrorize me and my belongings. It is just such a violation, and your home is the one place you should always feel SAFE in. I'm glad to see these young men heading to prison, maybe a few years there will give them a new perspective. I hope they get some counselling in there...

• JP
    November 16, 2011 - 06:56

I'd like to commend Mr. Carey for speaking out on behalf of his wife and himself. Too often victim's of crimes are forgotten. I hope the last person(I dare not call him a man!) to be dealt with by the courts gets the same range of jail time as the other two. I'm equally happy to read that both Mr. and Mrs. Carey are getting treatment for their mental anguish and terror they experienced. Many people don't realize that victim's of crime are victim's for a long time afterwards, not just at the moment of the crime!!!