Dismembered horse found in Torbay

Colin MacLean

RNC logo

The Royal Newfoundland Constabulary is investigating a case of possible animal cruelty.

There are few details available on the investigation but what is known is that at about 12:30 p.m. on Saturday police were called to the North Pond Road in Torbay, someone had reported finding the dismembered corpse of a young horse.

According to the overnight police report an “attempt had been made to burn the remains.”

The RNC has said the case is still under investigation.

A post-mortem exam will be carried out on the animal's remains.

More information will be posted if it becomes available.

Geographic location: Torbay, North Pond Road

Comments

Comments

• Stephanie Martin
    November 21, 2011 - 15:24

Newfoundland is going down fast.. I use to say when I was younger if I have children No matter where I am Id come home to raise them in Newfoundland, & Now I said Im going to leave here. Its not fit, & police need to step it up and do their job, My car got broken into 2 nights ago, & guarantee Ill find them first, the police arent doing anything about anything

• Devil's Advocate
    November 21, 2011 - 13:43

If the animal died on its own, or natural causes, then this could be just a failed attempt at disposal of the deceased animal. Before jumping to conclusions perhaps we should wait to see what the cause of death was for the horse. The only thing I'm not sure about is why dismember the animal and burn the remains if it died of natural/normal causes? This part defies logic and the disposal could be viewed as criminal(i.e. environmental act offence).

• Lisa
    November 21, 2011 - 12:37

I usually do not wish any harm or hardship on anyone; however, in this case, I hope that you are caught and given the extreme end of the penalty.

• Julie
    November 21, 2011 - 11:26

I cannot even begin to comprehend such actions, nor do I want to. My heavens above, why would anyone think to do such a thing, let alone proceed with it?

• Wanda
    November 21, 2011 - 10:49

I just hope that this poor helpless animal was dead before you started your unbelievable cruel HEARTLESS escapade (I'm totally lost for an appropriate word to use; "cruel" doesn't begin to describe what you did).

• Wendy
    November 21, 2011 - 08:37

I hope that whoever did this horrendous crime will be haunted by memories for the rest of their lives. How absolutely utterly heartless; the poor innocent animal.

• Leah
    November 20, 2011 - 17:11

This is unbelievable. How can anyone be so cruel and heartless.