Kevin O’Brien, minister responsible for Fire and Emergency Services, is encouraging residents to be aware of the potential fire hazards that can be associated with the Christmas holiday season.
“Injuries can occur anywhere and at any time, but are often more frequent during the holiday season,” O’Brien said. “While it is easy to become preoccupied with the many special events that take priority, we should all be mindful of the ways we can ensure the risks are minimized and our loved ones remain happy and healthy throughout the holidays.”
A news release notes that most residential fires in Canada occur during the winter months and citizens should pay particular attention to make sure they are following the instructions of the manufacturer with all home heating appliances. Homes and cabins should have a working smoke alarm on every level and in each sleeping area. Carbon monoxide detectors are also recommended, as carbon monoxide poisoning is the most common risk associated with home heating. Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning can include headaches, dizziness, disorientation, nausea and fatigue.