Comments

Comments

• Ian Lambert
    December 18, 2011 - 19:05

The time has come for Newfoundland and Labrador to ban donations from non residents and from companies and unions. The ban needs to include municipal politicians as well.

• Christine
    December 18, 2011 - 11:42

Scandalous!! Starving, homeless people and food banks having to beg to fill their shelves. Way to go Bell Aliant!!! Way to go Ms. Dunderdale. I am going to go pick up my prescription now at Shoppers!! My last one by the way!

• SR
    December 17, 2011 - 22:03

When I see companies pay money like this, First I think they are charging too much for their product. Their prices should cover costs of running a business like purchases, rent, salaries etc. Revenue should not be used to pay political contributions. A look at the list also shows a few companies that do govt work ...conflict of interest? To say the backing shows approval of the party tells me he thinks we are stupid. Some of the backing is to support their party but I suspect construction companies give money expecting something in return, especially when it's thousands of dollars.

• Eli
      December 18, 2011 - 14:02

SR..we keep sending the same rogues back, so yes, some people are stupid! Too many of 'em.

• Randy
    December 17, 2011 - 17:49

Companies from the mainland should not be calling the shots here. Dunderdale would get rid of that if she has any sense.

• David
    December 17, 2011 - 12:47

Hard-hitting investigative journalism! This story is presented in the Telegram as a totally innocous, just-thought-someone-might-be-interested story...even interesting leads are dropped after one sentence. Politics is so sleazy and dirty in Newfoundland that it no amount of corruption or backdoor deals even registers anymore. The term "fridge magnets" is just an inside joke. We get exaxtrly what we deserve....we're the fall guy in this stage act, and all we do is wipe the shmutz off our faces and go back out for the next skit.

• Nancy
    December 17, 2011 - 10:57

When you're laying off your employees left right and center, I guess you can be the top contributor. This actually makes me sick.

• Edmund
      December 17, 2011 - 13:42

The top contributor certainly has their priorities in line. I am with the first post on this article- they continue to layoff, layoff and layoff while spending big bucks on trash such as politics, way to go!

• Chantal
    December 17, 2011 - 10:28

Democracy is the most beautiful thing money can buy.

• well
    December 17, 2011 - 08:58

amazing , meanwhile people have to pick between food or their meds

• Just Wondering
    December 17, 2011 - 07:51

Interesting how people in Aliants corporate government relations and private law practices end up finding work in the Premier's Office and Dept. Of Justice. This story could have looked deeper. Oh, wait, the story was about money!

• Eli
    December 17, 2011 - 07:41

There's your reason in spades why people are scared sh*tless to take sides publicly on questionable issues. They're basically all on the government payroll in exchange for their contributions.